Myles Garrett?

GoDJtop10

Liked Posts:
Who knows exactly what Garrett and his agent would ask for.............perhaps after all that has happened with the Browns, he simply wants to be on a team entering its Super Bowl window. Losing has that effect on players, just ask DJ Moore.
DJ’s contract was restructured/extended after his first season here, while he still had multiple years remaining on his original one. Things agreed to with a “wink” are not publicized.

As far as a “Super Bowl” window, there are several teams above the Bears currently in that window with potential to stay there the next few years.

I don’t understand how some of you have quickly forgotten how bad of shape this franchise was just in because of trading away our premium draft picks.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
No ...the hindsight is how it ended....not the thinking behind the trade......listen.. it's more of how I hate trading No 1s....they come back to haught teams...the exception is the Stafford trade...nothing against you, I have a personal problem seeing a Chi team trading No 1s....lol...

Yes it ended poorly because of Trubisky not Mack. If we didnt trade for Mack but has Trubisky then we still suck.

If we traded for Mack but drafted Mahomes we probably win a SB or two.

Conclusion - Trubisky was the problem.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
All the same, it is too much to spend the first rounder on him for this team, to me; it doesnt have to be spent on a DE as long as you put it towards a difference maker, and ideally to me it is spent on the OL so that Caleb keeps a cleaner jersey. Garrett puts this team in a great position but we should not be getting into a bidding war, doing so will blow past what a team in this position should pay for one player. Which is why you must place a hard cap on what you would spend, and the most comparable trade I can conceive for a past comparison is the Mack trade, 2nd rounder and a third-day pick the following year. Most teams will pay more for Garrett because the ideal landing spots for him are shoe ins for the playoffs.

And the 5th year option is of great value . I am not going to get into the leverage part because that is entirely subjective, depends entirely on how the negotiator uses it, and every option in my contracts (not for athletes though) are drafted with the intent that they are exercised so that you can negotiate follow on deals without the need to get it done under duress (which saves my client money). The big value is that it gives a franchise the opportunity to retain a star when negotiations do not result in a contract and you need time. And so I do not know what you mean with a probability statement that you would be dealing with a player on the fringes - it happens every year. Ja'Marr Chase, Jaycee Horn, Micah Parsons are all playing on the fifth year option right now. Patrick Surtain II had his option exercised in April and was just signed to a new deal in September. It is a cost-controlled insurance policy just as much as a franchise tag is, and is just as important of a tool.

Dont think there really is a difference maker at OL available compared to all the pass rushers available.

Yes I said probably because I am aware there are exceptions but even so none of those guys have actually made it to their 5th year yet and all of them could be franchised tagged in the absence of the 5th year for a bit more money.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
I don't give a f**k about being a top 5 whatever! That trade was made to take da Bears over the top and win the SB. Let's not even go there that it was anything else. I remember the situation. What you're saying is 100% hindsight. That was the presumption, that the trade for Mack was taking us to the SB and a presumptive win. With all due respect to you....

Mack took the D to a level that could have won a Super Bowl with an offense to help out.

To consider the Mack trade a failure because Mack didn't also lead the offense is ridiculous.

Hell, if double-doink had made a FG, they may have made it even with that offense. If anything that proved it was a move worth making.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
If the Bears beat the Commanders and Cardinals and are sitting at 6-2 before the deadline I pull the trigger on one of the pass rushers whether it be Garrett, Crosby, Hendrickson, Walker, Young, etc.

I would hate if Caleb really takes off and we fall short because we failed to pull a trigger on a move to significantly improve the team based on some nebulous idea that we are a contender yet. We are a contender as soon as Caleb becomes a top 10 QB. That could be next year or it could have already happened but we dont realize it yet.

ColumbusRod

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Detroit Tigers
  1. Dallas Mavericks
  1. Cleveland Browns
  1. Detroit Red Wings
  1. Ohio State Buckeyes
If he can be had for a 2nd, are people ok giving up Carolina's 2nd? That will be asked for if Chicago offers a 2nd. A line with Sweat and Garrett on each side would be scary as hell, not to mention when rotations start you can have Garrett or Sweat on the field while one gets a break.
All the talk I hear is that it will take at least 2-1st, and a 3rd, plus. I bet he goes for at least a 1st and a 3rd.

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
How am I knee capping them from filling holes on the roster? Caleb Williams is on his rookie contract. Now is the time to make a push and it’s unlikely either of those 1sts will be more impactful than Myles Garrett.

The Bears would still be in good shape with draft picks and they could recoup some picks via trade (Nate Davis, Khalil Herbert, VJJ), compensatory (Keenan Allen), or with Ian Cunningham getting a GM job.

Wait, we're getting 1sts in trade for Nate Davis, Khalil Herbert, VJJ and 1st comps for Allen and Cunningham???

Oh we're not? But you said you'd give 2 firsts, plus then you have to come up with a contract in a year or two. It wouldn't be another cheap or friendly contract, it would likely be a Mack type contract.
That is how you would be knee capping not only the team but Williams.

At least you were honest that it could take multiple 1sts. Now try to be that honest about his future contract and the lack of draft picks that leaves us.

I agree, Garrett's contract is not outrageous plus..........
If Williams is the real deal and Poles believes the Bears are entering their Super Bowl window, then this POSSIBLE trade makes sense at the right price.
Bears are in the toughest division in the league, and all these teams are young and not going anywhere in the near future.
CW is on his rookie contract. If not now.........When?
Garrett or someone like him would make this the best DL in the NFL.

Except without protection Williams isn't going to be great and the possible Super Bowl window is slammed shut. Just like it always gets slammed shut because the Bears and their fans can be focused on getting an offense for about the span of a single March through September and then they're right back to spending everything on defense and nothing more on offense.
Can Garrett play Center? Unless we have the best oline to protect the best QB we don't need the best dline.

The trade makes sense if it's cheap enough to get him and then cut him before he gets a contract. But trade enough that Bears have to get him on a contract means he's getting a big team hampering contract and we don't have the offense for the QB to do that.

The trade doesn't make sense when you're saying screw getting a complete offense for Williams. At that point there's no team to bother having Garrett on.

MikeDitkaPolishSausage

Liked Posts:
yes I know your history of 50 years ago is greater than the Lions at that time, sorry if you choose to ignore the recent history of the teams, but whatever floats your boat
I’m not ignoring the last few years. The Lions have been better recently. Everyone knows that. With that said you, you can’t pick and choose what years you want to look at to make your organization look better. You need to look at everything as a whole.

MikeDitkaPolishSausage

Liked Posts:
Yes it ended poorly because of Trubisky not Mack. If we didnt trade for Mack but has Trubisky then we still suck.

If we traded for Mack but drafted Mahomes we probably win a SB or two.

Conclusion - Trubisky was the problem.
Mahomes doesn’t develop the same way under Nagy like he has with Reid. To say the Bears would win a SB or 2 if they drafted Mahomes is just fandom talk. A huge reason Mahomes is so successful is because of Reid.

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I’m not ignoring the last few years. The Lions have been better recently. Everyone knows that. With that said you, you can’t pick and choose what years you want to look at to make your organization look better. You need to look at everything as a whole.
The only person that says this is the fan of a franchise that currently sucks. Past value has nothing to do with current value, unless you like visiting museums. It's like looking at a house, that was once a mansion, that has fallen into such a state of disrepair that it is mold ridden, and about ready to collapse, and have the owner say it is a great house because it was once a mansion.

I mean seriously, the Bears still have fans that dress up like Mike Ditka to attend Bears games...................

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Mahomes doesn’t develop the same way under Nagy like he has with Reid. To say the Bears would win a SB or 2 if they drafted Mahomes is just fandom talk. A huge reason Mahomes is so successful is because of Reid.
By the same token this sounds like fandom talk to excuse passing on Mahomes.

We were 12-4 with Trubusky. To pretend we wouldnt have been better with Mahomes is silly to me. Bear in mind Mahomes had 52 TDs in 2018 so we wouldnt need him to be that good. If Nagy could get 27 TDs out of Mitch he could get 35 or so out of Mahomes especially when Mahomes was a 3 year starter in college compared to 1 year for Mitch.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
The only person that says this is the fan of a franchise that currently sucks. Past value has nothing to do with current value, unless you like visiting museums. It's like looking at a house, that was once a mansion, that has fallen into such a state of disrepair that it is mold ridden, and about ready to collapse, and have the owner say it is a great house because it was once a mansion.

I mean seriously, the Bears still have fans that dress up like Mike Ditka to attend Bears games...................
Currently the Bears are 1 game behind the Lions so there isnt much of a gap between them and we still have 2 games to play against each other.

And please dont respond talking about last year as that is not current but in the past so irrelevent per your own logic.

gobullschi

Liked Posts:
Wait, we're getting 1sts in trade for Nate Davis, Khalil Herbert, VJJ and 1st comps for Allen and Cunningham???

Oh we're not? But you said you'd give 2 firsts, plus then you have to come up with a contract in a year or two. It wouldn't be another cheap or friendly contract, it would likely be a Mack type contract.
That is how you would be knee capping not only the team but Williams.

At least you were honest that it could take multiple 1sts. Now try to be that honest about his future contract and the lack of draft picks that leaves us.

Except without protection Williams isn't going to be great and the possible Super Bowl window is slammed shut. Just like it always gets slammed shut because the Bears and their fans can be focused on getting an offense for about the span of a single March through September and then they're right back to spending everything on defense and nothing more on offense.
Can Garrett play Center? Unless we have the best oline to protect the best QB we don't need the best dline.

The trade makes sense if it's cheap enough to get him and then cut him before he gets a contract. But trade enough that Bears have to get him on a contract means he's getting a big team hampering contract and we don't have the offense for the QB to do that.

The trade doesn't make sense when you're saying screw getting a complete offense for Williams. At that point there's no team to bother having Garrett on.
Myles Garrett is locked up for 2.5 years (Caleb Williams rookie contract window). He’s the reigning defensive player of the year. The goal would be to win a Super Bowl in that window. The Bears could then ship him off via trade or get a compensatory draft pick.

Again, you’re exaggerating the lack of draft capital the Bears will have. As I already outlined, the Bears have CAR 2nd & their own. Plus, they can recoup draft capital ranging from 3rd - 7th round picks via the outlets I described. The Bears aren’t short on draft capital.

In 2024 there wasn’t a single guard or center drafted in the 1st round. The Bears can draft one of the top guards and centers in the draft to solidify the interior with the two 2nd round picks they have.

How are the Bears not giving Caleb Williams a “complete offense”? DJ Moore, Rome Odunze, Cole Kmet, & D’Andre Swift are more weapons than most NFL QBs get. PFF ranks the Bears offensive line 17th and I expect them to get better as they get more comfortable in the offense. The Bears can build a solid offensive line if they draft 3-4 offensive lineman in the 2025 draft, and the young guys (Darnell Wright, Braxton Jones, Kiran Amegadjie) continue to develop.

MikeDitkaPolishSausage

Liked Posts:

You were the one who posted about Khalil Mack which that trade happened in 2018. Isn’t that past value? So since you brought up the past, so did I.

I mean seriously, the Lions have fans that dress up like Lions and where “SB Rings” on their head when they have never win a SB.

IMG_3780.jpegIMG_3781.jpeg

MikeDitkaPolishSausage

Liked Posts:
By the same token this sounds like fandom talk to excuse passing on Mahomes.

We were 12-4 with Trubusky. To pretend we wouldnt have been better with Mahomes is silly to me. Bear in mind Mahomes had 52 TDs in 2018 so we wouldnt need him to be that good. If Nagy could get 27 TDs out of Mitch he could get 35 or so out of Mahomes especially when Mahomes was a 3 year starter in college compared to 1 year for Mitch.
I wish the Bears drafted Mahomes. Sure Nagy had a good first season, but what about the other 3 season he was here for? Those Bears teams were not built like the Chiefs and Nagy was not Reid. Mahomes would have 0 Super Bowl rings if he was drafted by the Bears.

hyatt151

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
How do you know? Cleveland could ask for all our 1st and 2nd end picks this year. I think you are underestimating Myles Garrett’s cost.
didn't
How do you know? Cleveland could ask for all our 1st and 2nd end picks this year. I think you are underestimating Myles Garrett’s cost.
didn't you get the CCS memo, Browns are just dying to trade Garrett to the bears for next to nothing

hyatt151

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
nobody gives a shit about things that happened 70 years ago

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I wish the Bears drafted Mahomes. Sure Nagy had a good first season, but what about the other 3 season he was here for? Those Bears teams were not built like the Chiefs and Nagy was not Reid. Mahomes would have 0 Super Bowl rings if he was drafted by the Bears.

Yes we sucked because Trubisky regressed. We know it was Trubisky because he went to other teams with seemingly better coaches and he still sucked and sucks to this day.

So the idea that the 2018 Bears would not have done better with Mahomes than with Trubisky is illogical to me. Mahomes is clearly the superior prospect and not it isnt just because of Andy Reid. He is innately better than Trubisky. Period.