Myles Garrett?

Salvaged Ship

Liked Posts:
What stud LT is going to be available in the middle to end of the 1st round?
It might be via trade, what I am saying is if we are spending a first round pick in a trade I would prefer focusing on the left tackle position if a team out there needs to clear cap space. I can‘t name who that would be, maybe there isn’t one. Just not crazy about giving up a first round pick for Garrett and his salary.

UChiLAbear

My Happy Place
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. UCLA Bruins
Yes but the other assumption was that Trubisky was a franchise QB. He wasnt.

The reality is Mack held up his part of the bargain. But it isnt his fault that Pace shit the bed and took the wrong QB.

It is hindsight to blame Mack for Trubisky being a failure at QB. Was Maxk supposed to teach Trubisky to be a better QB?
No ...the hindsight is how it ended....not the thinking behind the trade......listen.. it's more of how I hate trading No 1s....they come back to haught teams...the exception is the Stafford trade...nothing against you, I have a personal problem seeing a Chi team trading No 1s....lol...

alswank87

Liked Posts:
A lot of good discussion here. However, I’m still on the no train for any big time FA acquisitions this year. I think this year should be about developing our QB. If we can get another deal for a sweat type player for a 2nd round pick, I would think about it. I’m not ready to blow up our draft capital to get a good, but expensive player for this year. I just don’t think it’s a wise decision. I don’t think we are one move away from the Super Bowl this year. Next year, I fully expect Austin Booker will make a jump to a quality starter. He just needs an off-season to build his body and work on his game. If that happens, a big time deal for Myles Garrett starts to look silly given the cost (nothing for Austin Booker to develop vs several quality draft picks to bring in myles Garrett who’s obviously better, but his acquisition takes future talent away from the team at other positions.)

I think we need to use our first three draft picks on oline in the next draft. If 2 of them pan out to be starters, we suddenly have an explosive offense that is very hard to stop. Right now, there’s an easy blue print to beating this team, get pressure up the middle. We should be trying to acquire Caleb Williams’ version of Jeff Saturday and I think we can do that with this upcoming draft.

hyatt151

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
For sure... I get it. But teams find ways to be competitive without using only 1sts and 2nds on the OL. It's hard to pass up on a HOF type player at a premiere position for the hypothetical guy we can draft in a year. The Bears have historically taken a lot of duds on the OL in the early part of drafts, so it's far from a guarantee that those picks amount to anything.
no pick in any round is a sure fire stud, but show me a GM that doesn't think he will get it right, it would be a first

hyatt151

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think this also depends on what Poles and the FO feel are the biggest needs to draft next year. If they feel the tackles are good enough for the next couple years and want to focus on center/IOL, then I could see them parting with the 1st round pick, and using the 2nds on IOL picks. Garrett would mean they don't have to draft that top DE in the next draft. I'm sure there's several factors they are looking at to see what makes sense and what they can part with while still achieving their roster goals.
only a fool would consider the bears set at both OT's, Wright is above average, but Jones sucks

Discus fish salesman

Liked Posts:
Next year, I fully expect Austin Booker will make a jump to a quality starter. He just needs an off-season to build his body and work on his game. If that happens, a big time deal for Myles Garrett starts to look silly given the cost (nothing for Austin Booker to develop vs several quality draft picks to bring in myles Garrett who’s obviously better, but his acquisition takes future talent away from the team at other positions.)
Disagree that this would make it look silly. You'd have a dominant pass rushing rotation with Garrett, Sweat, walker and booker. I think people are underestimating how good Garrett is. He's top 5 edge rusher and is significantly better than a very good Montez sweat.

maxhatter

Liked Posts:
Disagree that this would make it look silly. You'd have a dominant pass rushing rotation with Garrett, Sweat, walker and booker. I think people are underestimating how good Garrett is. He's top 5 edge rusher and is significantly better than a very good Montez sweat.
You're correct! Garrett is a better pass rusher than Sweat and is equally good against the run. No knock on Montez; but there is a reason Garrett is a 5-time pro-bowler and the reigning Defensive Player of the Year

alswank87

Liked Posts:
And our iOL would still collapse like wet toilet paper. That’s why it would look silly.

DefNextYear

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
no pick in any round is a sure fire stud, but show me a GM that doesn't think he will get it right, it would be a first
What do you mean? Any GM that gives up multiple high picks for a player is proof of that. These trades happen all the time. Why trade multiple 1sts when every GM thinks they'd pick sure fire studs with those picks?

And honestly, I don't believe your statement "show me a GM that doesn't think he will get it right, it would be a first". I think every GM is very well aware of the odds at play when they make picks/trades/signings. If your GM doesn't realize this, then he's a terrible GM. It's a very non-emotional position to be in and they should be taking action based on numbers and projections/odds... when you start thinking you're smarter than everyone, then you start to fail.

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
You're correct! Garrett is a better pass rusher than Sweat and is equally good against the run. No knock on Montez; but there is a reason Garrett is a 5-time pro-bowler and the reigning Defensive Player of the Year
Garrett is also currently playing injured... so there's that.

gallagher

Ave Atque Vale
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
You dont have to cut him as he is a FA after 2026. Those years 2027 and beyond are void years. So you would be buying 2.5 years with the ability to extend him if he is still productive at a reduced cost than the 30 million elite pass rushers get given he would be 32 in 2027. I also think he is likely to be more like a Mack and be productive later in this 30s.

Of course our 2nd would be better but I suspect we would be outbid at that price as a contender is likely to offer a late first.

I think the best edge prospects are likley gone by the time we pick and the difference between our 1st and the Panthers pick is hopefully around 15 spots at most.

Finally the 5th year option isnt really that valuable as most guys that are good get extended long before that. If you actually have to consider it then you probably dealing with a guy that is on the fringes.
All the same, it is too much to spend the first rounder on him for this team, to me; it doesnt have to be spent on a DE as long as you put it towards a difference maker, and ideally to me it is spent on the OL so that Caleb keeps a cleaner jersey. Garrett puts this team in a great position but we should not be getting into a bidding war, doing so will blow past what a team in this position should pay for one player. Which is why you must place a hard cap on what you would spend, and the most comparable trade I can conceive for a past comparison is the Mack trade, 2nd rounder and a third-day pick the following year. Most teams will pay more for Garrett because the ideal landing spots for him are shoe ins for the playoffs.

And the 5th year option is of great value . I am not going to get into the leverage part because that is entirely subjective, depends entirely on how the negotiator uses it, and every option in my contracts (not for athletes though) are drafted with the intent that they are exercised so that you can negotiate follow on deals without the need to get it done under duress (which saves my client money). The big value is that it gives a franchise the opportunity to retain a star when negotiations do not result in a contract and you need time. And so I do not know what you mean with a probability statement that you would be dealing with a player on the fringes - it happens every year. Ja'Marr Chase, Jaycee Horn, Micah Parsons are all playing on the fifth year option right now. Patrick Surtain II had his option exercised in April and was just signed to a new deal in September. It is a cost-controlled insurance policy just as much as a franchise tag is, and is just as important of a tool.

Neckbeard

Liked Posts:
only a fool would consider the bears set at both OT's, Wright is above average, but Jones sucks
Everyone wishes their team's tackles allow zero pressures or sacks, but by the metrics, they are both top half. Jones has his weakness, but still grades out decently.

bears51/40

Liked Posts:
A Garrett trade would be an investment for this year and the next two, at least. He's got a reasonable deal. CLE has already paid him the signing bonus $, so there is no more $ the Bears could take on outside the option bonus. So at most he'd cost almost nothing this year and around $20m per over the next two years. If you have a healthy Garrett, one big OL signing like Connor Williams or Trey Smith, and two second round OL, that makes for a very dangerous team next year.

I don't think there's much chance of this happening though. I don't think he'll be available and if he is I don't think Poles is the kind to get into the type of bidding that it will take to get him.
I agree, Garrett's contract is not outrageous plus..........
If Williams is the real deal and Poles believes the Bears are entering their Super Bowl window, then this POSSIBLE trade makes sense at the right price.
Bears are in the toughest division in the league, and all these teams are young and not going anywhere in the near future.
CW is on his rookie contract. If not now.........When?
Garrett or someone like him would make this the best DL in the NFL.

bears51/40

Liked Posts:
Myles Garrett and his agent will demand that his contract is restructured upon a trade.
Who knows exactly what Garrett and his agent would ask for.............perhaps after all that has happened with the Browns, he simply wants to be on a team entering its Super Bowl window. Losing has that effect on players, just ask DJ Moore.

bears51/40

Liked Posts:
Perhaps.................. now I am not currently a big fan of Jones, but even I don't think he is pure suckage, and there is more than one way to build an offensive line, some teams have used an inside out approach to build their OL. Look no farther than KC with Thuney, Humphrey, and Smith. Their OT's have pretty much sucked the last two years. Another team was the Saints under Sean Payton, he believed with a talented but short QB it has better to keep a clean pocket for Brees to step up into. CW is on the short side so that may be the way the Bears go.