Nagy is scaling back the offensive approach

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
I doubt we notice much difference in play variety on Sun.

Right. Its going to look like the same stuff...all we can judge is the effectiveness/ineffectiveness then create the narrative.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Well I'm confused as to why that process couldn't have started last week (I can see why you wouldn't do that in Week 2), but in either case, I don't see how as a coach you say you saw 2,000 snaps in the offseason (or whatever the number was) and don't have the right 60 or so to hit the ground running in Week 1.

I honestly think Nagy is trying to hard to genius. He's a rookie as well and needs to settle down a bit. His game management was poor last week. Hopefully he's learning as well. He obviously has a lot of plays in or we wouldn't have seen some of the gimmicks that we already have.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
We get it but it's overstated. Lots of overlap.

Of course there is some overlap, there is also some front/blitz combos that can be thrown out because of what down and distance that you run the play in. There is also some plays where a similar if not the same protection may be called.

The point being is that there is a lot for everyone to learn each week and until it becomes part of your muscle memory it is a learning process and you are a step slow.

We see it each week with the OL as they miss guys and have moments of confusion.

Wild_x_Card

Liked Posts:
Please provide quote/link.

Regardless of what is actually going on, this is a great move by Nagy to take some of the pressure off Trubisky. If Trubisky plays well and the offense can crack the 20-point 'barrier' (which should happen against Tampa's iffy defense that features Chris Conte), then everyone is happy. If Trubisky and the offense plays poorly, the narrative will be "Nagy handcuffed Trubisky by reducing the playbook", etc. It's a win-win by Nagy.

Welcome back man. I'm pretty sure Conte got "injured" on the play that featured him getting physically assaulted by the Steelers TE.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Right. Its going to look like the same stuff...all we can judge is the effectiveness/ineffectiveness then create the narrative.

Last week it was that Mitch could have played better. The narratives as to why he didn't play well were interesting.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Of course there is some overlap, there is also some front/blitz combos that can be thrown out because of what down and distance that you run the play in. There is also some plays where a similar if not the same protection may be called.

The point being is that there is a lot for everyone to learn each week and until it becomes part of your muscle memory it is a learning process and you are a step slow.

We see it each week with the OL as they miss guys and have moments of confusion.

Didn't mean to imply it was easy or that all should be well coordinated yet. Kinda impossible at this point.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Health will also have a huge impact on the playbook getting scaled back,

The Shaheen injury already stripped the playbook down.

The Miller injury will further scale it back because Bellamy does not run routes like Miller.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Didn't mean to imply it was easy or that all should be well coordinated yet. Kinda impossible at this point.

I agree that it is impossible at this point.

This is why I think the entire offense is going to improve as we move along. We will see the OL run blocking with more conviction and not busting on blitzes as much as it transfers from conscious thought to muscle memory.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
none of us know what is or is not in the playbook vs the scaled back playbook......we have no idea the totality of what exactly is being scaled back......any narrative on what this means is dictated on whether you have already judged Trubisky a bust or not or if you defend him without objectivity.

What we can do is judge how the offense does, how well he completes his passes and the effectiveness of the offense.

BearsFan51

Liked Posts:
Y'all are tripping if you think Trubisky is the only one struggling within this offense. Anthony Miller went from rookie of the year candidate in camp to earning spot playing time here and there. He's behind Gabriel who is fast in a straight line but is as strong as a mosquito. Cohen isn't ready for a full time receiving role like he's being utilized as and the entire rest of the offense is struggling as a result. The Bears have one legitimate WR in Robinson, a one dimensional threat in Gabriel and a promising kid not yet ready for show time. It will get better for the young guys but I'm not certain Gabriel is going to grow.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Y'all are tripping if you think Trubisky is the only one struggling within this offense. Anthony Miller went from rookie of the year candidate in camp to earning spot playing time here and there. He's behind Gabriel who is fast in a straight line but is as strong as a mosquito. Cohen isn't ready for a full time receiving role like he's being utilized as and the entire rest of the offense is struggling as a result. The Bears have one legitimate WR in Robinson, a one dimensional threat in Gabriel and a promising kid not yet ready for show time. It will get better for the young guys but I'm not certain Gabriel is going to grow.

I think Gabriel is going to have a more defined role, run straight and fast, once the rest of the guys know and have been settled into their roles.

Gabriel right now is being targeted more than I think they planned because he is a veteran and knows what he is doing and how to make the adjustments on the fly.

Rainmaker1600

Liked Posts:
Mitch can still develop by sitting and watching. See: Mahomes, Patrick.

He will get until mid season. If he still isn't getting it, then he obviously isnt getting it by doing. So give him a different vantage point to learn from.

Again.. This isn't Madden. You don't bench a kid while he's learning a new offense. There's so many dimensions to this and you're definitely not understanding. Sitting Mitch could lose the team, hurt his confidence, stifle his development, and potentially set the team back, considering his teammates, free agents, and coaches are there because they believe he's a franchise qb

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
Welcome back man. I'm pretty sure Conte got "injured" on the play that featured him getting physically assaulted by the Steelers TE.

I honestly thought Conte had retired years ago. I think he's been in perpetual 'concussion protocol' since 2014.

Sagbear

Liked Posts:
I was actually expecting this after the bye not this week, run a ton of plays see what sticks and during the off week sort it out.

Mongo_76

Liked Posts:
Again.. This isn't Madden. You don't bench a kid while he's learning a new offense. There's so many dimensions to this and you're definitely not understanding. Sitting Mitch could lose the team, hurt his confidence, stifle his development, and potentially set the team back, considering his teammates, free agents, and coaches are there because they believe he's a franchise qb

So you think it was wrong for us to Bench Glennon last year?

TexasBearfan

Liked Posts:
What nagy should have done is watch trubiskys college tape, get his best plays and implement the equivalent throws... that's stuff he's already mastered... now you have a base you can build off of

Mongo_76

Liked Posts:
Pretty sure we didn't trade up to draft Glennon #2.. Nice try

Your quote didnt note that. You simply said "Again.. This isn't Madden. You don't bench a kid while he's learning a new offense."

So please answer the question.