NBA Trade Deadline thread.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
kyrie will be playing come playoff time. Even if the nets just end up paying the fines for him to play in Brooklyn at that point
NBA has come out and said teams and their players are not allowed to violate local health rules.

imagine the nets end up the 7 or 8 seed…think Philly or Milwaukee will be excited to have to play them in the first round(assuming they are the top 2 seeds). This season could be one where it’s better to NOT be a top 2 seed lol
Most Eastern Conference 1st round series are going to be a lot more interesting than in normal years.

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
NBA has come out and said teams and their players are not allowed to violate local health rules.

Most Eastern Conference 1st round series are going to be a lot more interesting than in normal years.
How is the nba going to stop them? Lol. What will they do? Fine them? Exactly. Either way, Brooklyn will get kyrie in the playoffs some way or another. Even if it’s as simple as the mandate being lifted.

and agreed…eastern conference is going to be a lot of fun this season. Should be a lot of 7 game series

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
How is the nba going to stop them? Lol. What will they do? Fine them? Exactly. Either way, Brooklyn will get kyrie in the playoffs some way or another. Even if it’s as simple as the mandate being lifted.

and agreed…eastern conference is going to be a lot of fun this season. Should be a lot of 7 game series
I don't think the Nets are going to fight the NBA on that.

That said, I won't be surprised if the NYC mandate is gone come April.

RamiTheBullsFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

If KD decided he was going to play in a kilt instead of basketball shorts, or just play with no pants at all, Adam Silver and the NBA could keep him from playing. Unless the law changes, they aren't going to let Kyrie play in Barclays Center.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
He must be one hell of a distributor and defender then to be an all star with zero other abilities ?‍♂️

kyrie will be playing come playoff time. Even if the nets just end up paying the fines for him to play in Brooklyn at that point

imagine the nets end up the 7 or 8 seed…think Philly or Milwaukee will be excited to have to play them in the first round(assuming they are the top 2 seeds). This season could be one where it’s better to NOT be a top 2 seed lol
Well he can slash also, but yes...he does do those two things at an elite level. Or at least he did, who knows where the heck he is at now.

RamiTheBullsFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't disagree with what Simmons can be.. it's a will he be kind of thing. Dude is clearly talented, but he also seems like one of those guys letting his talents go to waste over his ignorance/arrogance of his own abilties.

I always like these lines, like if Philly vs Milwaukee would result in the same thing that Toronto vs Milwaukee was. You just don't know what happens in the ECF.

Looking this up, it looks like you're referring him scoring 42 points in a 11 point loss to Utah last season.

In conclusion, he's a question mark. I have many questions on him. He can go out and answer all of them soon. For now it's just everyone's opinion as to what is going to happen.

I also agree on Kyrie. He is injury prone and it's even a question he can last an entire playoff.
You described Westbrook more than Simmons imo with your first paragraph. I don't disagree except that even on raw talent alone, what Simmons brings to the table holds a lot of value. And that's worse case scenario. Yes, being afraid to attack the rim because of foul shooting and being afraid to shoot outside the paint is bad. But hopefully for them, Nash is a good enough coach to use him in the offense in a more effective way (not sure he is).

I'm actually hoping Brooklyn loses. I'd rather see any other team come out of the East than them. I'm not a big fan of Harden, but I respect that he wanted out. A lot of dumb Philly fans are saying that they lost the trade because Harden is having a down year and that he "chokes" in the playoffs. Um, they literally are the same team except upgraded from Seth Curry. Minus a back up center. How is that a bad trade exactly??

RamiTheBullsFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Can you imagine how bad the 76ers/Morey would look if the Nets win the east or a head-to-head series against them?

Or bad the Nets/Simmons would look if Harden is the reason the Sixers finally get over the hump??

RamiTheBullsFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My gut feeling is Miami goes to the Finals. My second guess would be Milwaukee.

Everyone who is freaking out about Harden/Embiid should keep in mind that while Butler/Adebayo is not quite that good (at least on paper), they also have a crap ton of pieces around them (i.e. Lowry, Herro, Tucker, Robinson, Dedmon... they even have Oladipo on the cusp of returning).

Also Middleton/Antetokounmpo is great plus Holiday, Portis, etc. under Budenholzer.

Sixers, Bucks and Heat can all hang their hats on defense. That is underrated

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Being in the 4/5 matchup could be the ideal spot to end up in the east

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My gut feeling is Miami goes to the Finals. My second guess would be Milwaukee.

Everyone who is freaking out about Harden/Embiid should keep in mind that while Butler/Adebayo is not quite that good (at least on paper), they also have a crap ton of pieces around them (i.e. Lowry, Herro, Tucker, Robinson, Dedmon... they even have Oladipo on the cusp of returning).

Also Middleton/Antetokounmpo is great plus Holiday, Portis, etc. under Budenholzer.

Sixers, Bucks and Heat can all hang their hats on defense. That is underrated
The Heat probably have the most well-rounded team in the East. Milwaukee has the superstar advantage over Miami, though Jimmy is having an individual superstar season, the knock on him is he's missed a lot of games. Heat at the moment are the only team in the East Top 10 in O & D as Milwaukee's defense has been slacking lately and they've fallen out of the top 10.

I think Sixers also have the superstar advantage with Embiid, but chances increase with Harden, but yet to remain to see how everything meshes. Sixers sit at 14th right now in O-rating. Harden could help them get into the Top 10.

Won't really surprise me if we see a team in the Finals from the East that isn't Top 10 in O & D though.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
2 things for the more knowledgeable and cultured.

1.) From what I'm seeing and reading their doesn't even seem to be much on the buyout dungheap for the bulls to contemplate a patchwork pickup, is that correct?

2.) I can't remember the full Simmons situation anymore. I thought his issue was that he didn't feel like he was the man in Philly and Embiid was getting all the attention? How is the trade to the nets any real difference or upgrade to the philly situation? Just a better team so he's ok with it? He's still not going to be the man over durant? Hell he may even be down a second run under Irving? I'm just confused, I thought his whole point was he wanted to go to a good team where he was the man?

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
2 things for the more knowledgeable and cultured.

1.) From what I'm seeing and reading their doesn't even seem to be much on the buyout dungheap for the bulls to contemplate a patchwork pickup, is that correct?
Nope, not really. Unless something unexpected happens.
2.) I can't remember the full Simmons situation anymore. I thought his issue was that he didn't feel like he was the man in Philly and Embiid was getting all the attention? How is the trade to the nets any real difference or upgrade to the philly situation? Just a better team so he's ok with it? He's still not going to be the man over durant? Hell he may even be down a second run under Irving? I'm just confused, I thought his whole point was he wanted to go to a good team where he was the man?
From what I gathered, Simmons hated what Doc and Embiid said in post game interviews after losing G7. He may or may not have also realized that Philly was going to hate him after G7 and thus all of that made him feel not wanted in Philly and wanted out. I don't think he's ever stated he wants to be the primary man.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
Nope, not really. Unless something unexpected happens.

From what I gathered, Simmons hated what Doc and Embiid said in post game interviews after losing G7. He may or may not have also realized that Philly was going to hate him after G7 and thus all of that made him feel not wanted in Philly and wanted out. I don't think he's ever stated he wants to be the primary man.
That makes sense. He's going to have a hard life if he decides to just run from hate. I don't know that he's going to find much love from Jersey unless he wins the championship because now the trade was probably a wash personnelwise and they lost 2 first rounders for it. Which of course are low first round but still. Essentially trading one disgruntled guy for another disgruntled guy hoping that they won't be disgruntled anymore. Just odd to me, I hope they both implode.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Perhaps it needs time to change lol.

I seem to recall last year though was Nets-Lakers.. despite Lakers being 7th seed.
There is barely time to even create championship level chemistry.

The 76ers continued their trend of wasting assets after turning down multiple better offers they end up fleecing themselves for a fat old Harden and one or two shots at this.

I mean really, the 76ers must win now or this looks bad. Not that they have much choice, to push all chips in while you have a prime and healthy Embiid is the only move they have left.

The Nets issues may take time, and will always hinge on Durants preposterously frail legs that will not age like Lebrons.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

The 76ers continued their trend of wasting assets after turning down multiple better offers they end up fleecing themselves for a fat old Harden and one or two shots at this.

I mean really, the 76ers must win now or this looks bad. Not that they have much choice, to push all chips in while you have a prime and healthy Embiid is the only move they have left.

The Nets issues may take time, and will always hinge on Durants preposterously frail legs that will not age like Lebrons.
Philly has to be in win now mode anyway. As you said, Embiid has issues staying healthy on his own and they've only got so much time with him as a superstar level player before that window slams shut. If it fails with Harden and he bolts, it is what it is, they can say they tried. To me, it looks worse if they didn't make a trade at all than trading for Harden. They were so insistent on getting a superstar for Simmons and they actually succeeded. Not really sure how it looks bad for them actually.

RamiTheBullsFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

Harden's highly efficienct shooting, 22pts, 8 reb, 10 ast is a lot better than Seth's 15 and 4 ast.

Id trade anything the Bulls have for KD and his frail legs

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
No, Brooklyn is the favorites and actually jumped. Simmons is actually a perfect fit for them. Durant mid game and shooters and they just added seth. Also, dont sleep on Drummond cause they need big bodys. I think the 76ers just went all in but I dont know if they have enough. Harden pick and roll game with Embiid is dangerous. Really, the East is a gauntlet this year and West is really only 2 to 3 teams. The Suns and GS are better than the rest and I dont find it that close. Maybe Utah could make some noise but the rest arent there

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
No, Brooklyn is the favorites and actually jumped. Simmons is actually a perfect fit for them. Durant mid game and shooters and they just added seth. Also, dont sleep on Drummond cause they need big bodys. I think the 76ers just went all in but I dont know if they have enough. Harden pick and roll game with Embiid is dangerous. Really, the East is a gauntlet this year and West is really only 2 to 3 teams. The Suns and GS are better than the rest and I dont find it that close. Maybe Utah could make some noise but the rest arent there
If Memphis can get someone else paired with Morant, they could be something in the future.

RamiTheBullsFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Simmons and Drummond on the court at the same time is a recipe for terrible offense. Dre clogs the lane for Ben. At least Embiid was able to play a little bit off the three point line.

Simmons will absolutely help them if he's used in a Draymond-like fashion. But, playing devil's advocate here, The Nets went from the EASY favorites coming into the season to KD teamed with the two biggest primadonnas in the NBA in Kyrie and Ben.