NBA Trade Deadline thread.

RamiTheBullsFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Cavs are officially legit. A lot of quality depth. Now 4 all star caliber players and Love and Rondo giving them meaningful minutes. And they have a group of guys capable of manning the 3 spot which, on paper, would seem to be their "weak position".

RamiTheBullsFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
AK is like the anti-Krause. He hates traditional 4's.
I'll tell you who I'd kill to have back: Bobby Portis. His 15, 9, 1blk, on 40% three point shooting would certainly benefit this team. Not exactly thinking outside of the box but I'd put him right next to Vuce and play him at the 5 behind him too. Just wishful thinking at this point. Myles Turner would suffice.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The Simmons deal is out of the box but he would have no pressure to score here.
Just keep the ball moving, defend, transition and cut to the basket.
In a weird way he fits what they are doing just hope he wouldn’t be redundant.
Portland needs picks in that dream but it almost feels like we owe this team taking a home-run chance and not waiting for Williams.

Simmons or Grant is at least trying to take the next step while DeRozan and Lavine are still prime.

As a defensive power forward who can be your Rodman and pass the ball well, Simmons would fit this team perfectly on the court, the other question is off the court.

Last edited:

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Indiana fidgets with their roster so damn much.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Cavs are officially legit. A lot of quality depth. Now 4 all star caliber players and Love and Rondo giving them meaningful minutes. And they have a group of guys capable of manning the 3 spot which, on paper, would seem to be their "weak position".
L-2nd Round.

RamiTheBullsFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
L-2nd Round.
They have just as much of a realistic chance as the Bulls of coming out of the East. Cavs are a much better defensive team. I don't necessarily see either coming out of the East but the top tier of teams are as wide open as they ever have been in my lifetime

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
They have just as much of a realistic chance as the Bulls of coming out of the East. Cavs are a much better defensive team. I don't necessarily see either coming out of the East but the top tier of teams are as wide open as they ever have been in my lifetime
I mean, I see the Bulls as a 2nd round loss team honestly (for one, I don't think they can stay healthy, two, I just think they're going to get exposed at the PF position in the playoffs before the ECF), though seeding/matchup will largely depend on how far they actually go.

Short of the Nets not getting guys back, Milwaukee suffering injuries, and the Sixers having a Doc playoff coaching moment, the Bulls will lose to one of those teams, and really could lose to another team in the East too if they can figure out how to expose the Bulls major weakness.

In terms of the Cavs, it's sort of the same thing. Though I feel they're more like last year's Knicks, than on par with the Bulls. The Bulls star power is greater than the Cavs, and the Bulls ability to score points is an advantage compared to Cleveland, who at times struggle with that. Good defensive team, sure, but they aren't a good rank in O. If the Bulls have Caruso back and healthy, they can actually play Top 10 defense, while maintaining the offense.

Edit: I forget Miami exists, they're very much a threat as well.

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers

RamiTheBullsFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I mean, I see the Bulls as a 2nd round loss team honestly (for one, I don't think they can stay healthy, two, I just think they're going to get exposed at the PF position in the playoffs before the ECF), though seeding/matchup will largely depend on how far they actually go.

Short of the Nets not getting guys back, Milwaukee suffering injuries, and the Sixers having a Doc playoff coaching moment, the Bulls will lose to one of those teams, and really could lose to another team in the East too if they can figure out how to expose the Bulls major weakness.

In terms of the Cavs, it's sort of the same thing. Though I feel they're more like last year's Knicks, than on par with the Bulls. The Bulls star power is greater than the Cavs, and the Bulls ability to score points is an advantage compared to Cleveland, who at times struggle with that. Good defensive team, sure, but they aren't a good rank in O. If the Bulls have Caruso back and healthy, they can actually play Top 10 defense, while maintaining the offense.

Edit: I forget Miami exists, they're very much a threat as well.
I'm pretty much in the same line of thinking as you.

Head-to-head vs. CLE (both teams healthy):

Bulls perimeter O > Cavs (DeRozan and LaVine obvious reason for this)
Bulls perimeter D > Cavs (Ball and Caruso vs. Okoro)
Cavs interior D > Bulls (Mobley and Allen vs. Vuce *ha* and ??)
Cavs interior O > Bulls (Bulls have Vuce and slashers and the Cavs have two bigs who can score and their own slashers)
Cavs rebounding > Bulls (Bulls rely heavily on Vuce and as a team are mid-pack and net+1 while Cavs are +4)

The Bulls biggest advantage over CLE is their perimeter O but the addition of LeVert to go along with Garland helps narrow the gap there. As far as perimeter D, healthy, I give the edge to the Bulls. But Okoro is probably just as good of a lock down defender as Ball or Caruso. He just doesn't offer you anything much on the offensive end.

Taking a very unsophisticated look at it:

PG: Garland/Rondo > Ball/Ayo
SG: LeVert/Okoro < LaVine/Caruso/White/Thomas
SF: Osman/Lauri/Osman < DeRozan/Green/Brown
PF: Mobley/Love/Wade > (committee)/DJJ/Cook
C: Allen > Vucevic/Bradley

Last edited:

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I'm pretty much in the same line of thinking as you.

Head-to-head vs. CLE (both teams healthy):

Bulls perimeter O > Cavs (DeRozan and LaVine obvious reason for this)
Bulls perimeter D > Cavs (Ball and Caruso vs. Okoro)
Cavs interior D > Bulls (Mobley and Allen vs. Vuce *ha* and ??)
Cavs interior O > Bulls (Bulls have Vuce and slashers and the Cavs have two bigs who can score and their own slashers)
Cavs rebounding > Bulls (Bulls rely heavily on Vuce and as a team are mid-pack and net+1 while Cavs are +4)

The Bulls biggest advantage over CLE is their perimeter O but the addition of LeVert to go along with Garland helps narrow the gap there. As far as perimeter D, healthy, I give the edge to the Bulls. But Okoro is probably just as good of a lock down defender as Ball or Caruso. He just doesn't offer you anything much on the offensive end.

Taking a very unsophisticated look at it:

PG: Garland/Rondo > Ball/Ayo
SG: LeVert/Okoro < LaVine/Caruso/White/Thomas
SF: Osman/Lauri/Osman < DeRozan/Green/Brown
PF: Mobley/Love/Wade > (committee)/DJJ/Cook
C: Allen > Vucevic/Bradley
Not much to disagree with here as this is certainly how it looks on paper.

Usually the way things work in the NBA is the star power ends up trumping all else. Even though DeMar/Zach aren't superstars, they're playing like tier 2 stars this season, while Garland is a tier 3, and Allen may yet make the team as a replacement, but he'd also be on the lower end.

I kind of look at it as the Knicks/Hawks matchup last year in that the Knicks were a real good defensive team, poor offensive team, Hawks were a good O, bad D.. though also the hottest team entering the playoffs. They also had the better star in Trae Young and walloped the Knicks.

Either way, we won't know until the series happens, if it happens.

RamiTheBullsFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Not much to disagree with here as this is certainly how it looks on paper.

Usually the way things work in the NBA is the star power ends up trumping all else. Even though DeMar/Zach aren't superstars, they're playing like tier 2 stars this season, while Garland is a tier 3, and Allen may yet make the team as a replacement, but he'd also be on the lower end.

I kind of look at it as the Knicks/Hawks matchup last year in that the Knicks were a real good defensive team, poor offensive team, Hawks were a good O, bad D.. though also the hottest team entering the playoffs. They also had the better star in Trae Young and walloped the Knicks.

Either way, we won't know until the series happens, if it happens.
Edit: Cavs are more like a +1.5 in rebounding differential while Bulls are about -0.5

Hawks and Suns last year pretty much show that teams in the current NBA can come out of the blue and jump to contention (or at least fringe contention). All of these COVID protocols factor into a lot of teams being pulled towards the middle of the pack. Guys are constantly in and out of the line up. Also, there's no juggernaut out there i.e. the Heatles or Durant Warriors.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Edit: Cavs are more like a +1.5 in rebounding differential while Bulls are about -0.5

Hawks and Suns last year pretty much show that teams in the current NBA can come out of the blue and jump to contention (or at least fringe contention). All of these COVID protocols factor into a lot of teams being pulled towards the middle of the pack. Guys are constantly in and out of the line up. Also, there's no juggernaut out there i.e. the Heatles or Durant Warriors.
Kind of view the Hawks as a one off miracle run.

The Suns were the 2nd seed last year, so it's not like they were a bad team. Their problem is and will continue to be a lack of a superstar (Paul is not one anymore, he was years ago). I think its the Warriors to lose out West, the East is really up for grabs, though I'd lean any of Milwaukee, Brooklyn, Philadelphia going to the Finals, in that order.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Curiously, how many rumors contained the Bulls getting Vuc last year?

RamiTheBullsFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Kind of view the Hawks as a one off miracle run.

The Suns were the 2nd seed last year, so it's not like they were a bad team. Their problem is and will continue to be a lack of a superstar (Paul is not one anymore, he was years ago). I think its the Warriors to lose out West, the East is really up for grabs, though I'd lean any of Milwaukee, Brooklyn, Philadelphia going to the Finals, in that order.
I'm talking about from the previous season to last season. Hawks went from #14 in the East to an ECF appearance. Suns went from #10 in the West (granted, they went 8-0 in the Bubble even before CP3) to being up 2-0 in the NBA Finals.

It seems like since COVID, you aren't seeing a lot of teams winning 75%+ of their games nor teams losing 75%+ of their games like we used to see.

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Curiously, how many rumors contained the Bulls getting Vuc last year?
I don’t recall many, if any…

I believe Boston was the biggest Vuc rumor at last years deadline

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I'm talking about from the previous season to last season. Hawks went from #14 in the East to an ECF appearance. Suns went from #10 in the West (granted, they went 8-0 in the Bubble even before CP3) to being up 2-0 in the NBA Finals.

It seems like since COVID, you aren't seeing a lot of teams winning 75%+ of their games nor teams losing 75%+ of their games like we used to see.
Chris Paul seemed to really elevate the Suns and give them leadership they were lacking. Hawks have a potential superstar (if not already) in Trae Young, but their turnaround in the 2nd half of last season was still surprising, as well as their run.

I grant you that COVID has screwed up some traditional stuff in the NBA, we can also look at the Heat's bubble run as irregular. I think we're likely to see COVID (for the NBA) at its end game come playoff time though, so we may get some normalcy there. Teams will still have their usual set of injuries though.

The East this year in particular is screwed up due to COVID/injuries/general parity. There's a slight chance no team wins 50 games even. At current projections, I think seeds 1-8 would have a 6 game difference.

The West is likely to have the Suns at 60+ wins, and Warriors have a shot too.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I don’t recall many, if any…

I believe Boston was the biggest Vuc rumor at last years deadline
Yeah, I don't remember any Bulls rumors for guys they actually got last year. Just seemed like nothing leaked from the Front Office.