NFCN Expert Grades

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
The comparison will be between Haha and Fuller. If Haha becomes at a position where stars are rare it's going to tough to overlook.

Rise

Liked Posts:
I didn't mean exclusively in the draft. Meant more so who are the Bears safeties etc.

Which I get. My point has been CB this year is a deeper position in this draft than safety. The Bears could have found a quality CB in the 2-4 rounds. After the top 3-4 safeties the talent at the position falls off a cliff. The Bears current safeties blow. The Bears current CB's don't. You could have fixed both positions(and better so) by grabbing a safety in Rnd 1 and CB in one of the following couple rounds.

Fuller is a "positive". Like I said, I don't think he sucks, or is a bad player, etc. I just think the Bears missed a chance to fill a more glaring need given the current roster and draft depth at the positions of need(CB and S)

Bears have no safeties worth a shit I agree totally. Your stance is just like mine, if the safety talent really is drastic compared to the cb position in this draft then that confirms my fears. All I can really say is I hope you're wrong!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Bears have no safeties worth a shit I agree totally. Your stance is just like mine, if the safety talent really is drastic compared to the cb position in this draft then that confirms my fears. All I can really say is I hope you're wrong!

I very well could be. Like I said, all I can do is judge it based on player evaluation in the here and now.

Rise

Liked Posts:
I disagree that safety is not as important as cb as a general term. If you have a superstar safety that player can make your whole defense just like a superstar corner can. In fact one could argue a superstar safety can have a larger impact depending on scheme and opponent.

Think Dawkins, mike brown, Troy P, ed reed etc. game changers.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
He absolutely is not. He's a nice player. A good pick. He's not a shutdown CB. He's not a top notch CB at this point.

Stahp.
That's why he was available at 14. Champ Bailey was picked 7, Deon at 5, Haden at 7, P Peterson at 5. Near lock Pro Bowl CB's don't make it to 14, moreso these days. And Pryor and HHCD are no more likely PB safeties than Fuller is at CB. Don't even see the argument for taking a good looking safety over a good looking CB if they had need at both, which they did.

FirstTimer

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I disagree that safety is not as important as cb as a general term. If you have a superstar safety that player can make your whole defense just like a superstar corner can. In fact one could argue a superstar safety can have a larger impact depending on scheme and opponent.

Think Dawkins, mike brown, Troy P, ed reed etc. game changers.

It's an interesting discussion point.

Would you rather have Deion Sanders/Mel Blount at one CB or Ronnie Lott/Ed Reed at one safety?

It can be pretty scheme dependent.

Very generally speaking in a Cover 2 scheme I'd rather have the elite safety.

Rise

Liked Posts:
The comparison will be between Haha and Fuller. If Haha becomes at a position where stars are rare it's going to tough to overlook.

Yes this is what I just tried to say. I think Pryor has more star potential but same idea.

FirstTimer

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
That's why he was available at 14. Champ Bailey was picked 7, Deon at 5, Haden at 7, P Peterson at 5. Near lock Pro Bowl CB's don't make it to 14, moreso these days. And Pryor and HHCD are no more likely PB safeties than Fuller is at CB. Don't even see the argument for taking a good looking safety over a good looking CB if they had need at both, which they did.

Get your eyes checked doc.

Rise

Liked Posts:
It's an interesting discussion point.

Would you rather have Deion Sanders/Mel Blount at one CB or Ronnie Lott/Ed Reed at one safety?

It can be pretty scheme dependent.

Very generally speaking in a Cover 2 scheme I'd rather have the elite safety.

Yes exactly! I don't think we will run cover 2 though. A lot will depend on what Tucker is actually going to do, unless I missed that report I don't think we really have any idea. Maybe that gives us some hope!

Chris Sojka

Liked Posts:
I suspect the Packers would get an (A) no matter who they would have drafted

isn't it the same story every year...

They have a ton of needs and every year no matter who they pick the guy is the steal of the draft or a great pick...

That whole franchise is held up by Aaron Rodgers... the rest of them are either above average or Rodgers makes em look really good...

Nail Polish

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I've been listening to NFL radio all morning..Not too much discussion on Fuller, but it was stated a few times how unhappy Ha-Ha was to get drafted by GB..According to Rich Gannon, he wanted to be an Eagle and the Eagles wanted him. He was grabbed by GB 1 pick earlier. Nick Saban said to Ha-Ha.." you know you're supposed to be happy" as he handed him his GB hat before he took the stage.

L GUAPO

Liked Posts:
Everyone is getting solid grades. The only thing that aren't getting solid grades are teams that didn't go high end need(Ebron to Detroit etc.)

Hey but according to you "Pettigrew is a top TE in the NFL and could start for 95% of teams" :roll:

Even though more than half of the TEs in the NFL had more than his whopping 400 yards and couple of TDs.

Detroit must have been really sold on Pettigrew and how slow he is and his drops to draft Ebron lmao! Keep up the good posts

FirstTimer

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I'll revisit this post when the Bears draft a starting safety in round 3 or 4. We'll see how many teams get a starting corner at the same point.

:obama:

A safety having to beat out Conte/Mundy is =/= to a CB having to beat out PB's on the Bears let alone CB's on other teams.

Srsly?

FirstTimer

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Hey but according to you "Pettigrew is a top TE in the NFL and could start for 95% of teams" :roll:

Even though more than half of the TEs in the NFL had more than his whopping 400 yards and couple of TDs.

Detroit must have been really sold on Pettigrew and how slow he is and his drops to draft Ebron lmao! Keep up the good posts

You do follow the NFL right? You do realize that many teams run dual TE's right? You do realize some people thought the Bears could take not only Eifert last season but Ebron this year if he fell? Would that have reflected poorly on Martellus?

Last edited:

mac bear

Liked Posts:
I've been listening to NFL radio all morning..Not too much discussion on Fuller, but it was stated a few times how unhappy Ha-Ha was to get drafted by GB..According to Rich Gannon, he wanted to be an Eagle and the Eagles wanted him. He was grabbed by GB 1 pick earlier. Nick Saban said to Ha-Ha.." you know you're supposed to be happy" as he handed him his GB hat before he took the stage.

See, this makes me laugh... ha ha! Ha ha...

FirstTimer

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

As usual...you're wrong.

http://www.al.com/alabamafootball/index.ssf/2014/05/emotional_at_radio_city_haha_c.html

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
it's just in the NFC North, the Pack are packed with praise so much, so often, it's just so irritating.

Probably because they're the best run, most successful team in the division by a country mile?

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Blah blah blah

Anyone with a cursory glance at the Bears roster and even a deeper look at it would see safety was a far bigger need than CB. The Bears got a "flex" DB. But he's mainly a corner. Corner on it's face for the Bears is not a bigger need given current roster construction.

Disagree to an extent. Yes, safety was the most visibly horrendous position last season, but Tillman missed most of the season with multiple injuries. Even if he stays healthy, defenses are in nickel between half and two-thirds of the time, so you need three quality corners on the field, especially in this division. With Tillman on the way out and likely not able to give a full season, getting another quality corner was essential. I think it was an excellent pick. I agree with you that he isn't a can't miss blue chip player, but he has the potential to be a very good one and fill a need for years. If the Bears can bag a second-tier safety like Brooks, I'll be far happier with Fuller and that rather than Pryor/HHCD and a lesser CB.