Niemis Arbitration

Drdudz

Liked Posts:
[quote name="R K"]again how about this.

The Flyers offered him well over 2 million but Turco decided to play for the Hawks.

Just like Skille, those are the moves that PROVE a player wants to win, instead of the pay day.

That I like!![/quote]

...and that is why Niemi will be gone from the Hawks next summer, if not this summer, if he retains Zito as his agent. Ya think Zito will take less than $3M/year to extend him? (You're gonna pay Seabs next summer.) Not a chance, therefore making him a one year rental with too many other roster/cap issues at play. Say goodbye to Antti and hello to more prospects/picks/cheap 6th Dman and fire up the new topic "What number will Turco wear?"

The Count Dante

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
[quote name="R K"]

he has a Vezina.

I don't think anyone compared him to Huet last year that I remember. Are you just making shit up now?[/quote]

Perhaps he meant money-wise?

[quote name="THe Count Dante"]

Perhaps he meant money-wise?[/quote]

I can never tell anymore.

I'm ok with either goalie to be honest. I would have rather hand Hjarlmarsson than Niemi if it was a choice. On pure potential.

The Count Dante

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
[quote name="R K"]

I can never tell anymore.

I'm ok with either goalie to be honest. I would have rather hand Hjarlmarsson than Niemi if it was a choice. On pure potential.[/quote]

Quoted for truth.

PatrickShart

Liked Posts:
Zito to the Hawks...

money_2.jpg

Tommy 0

Liked Posts:
LOL is he saying NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

bri

Liked Posts:
If this is true, Stu must be in the fetal position sucking his thumb. Poor guy.

Stu, Hun, you can borrow my spork, but I'm gonna need it back.

roshinaya

fnord
Donator
Liked Posts:
[quote name="Maiden"]

Get for Niemi? We'll be lucky to get a 3rd to 5th rounder with 29 teams knowing we've screwed the pooch with the cap situation.[/quote]

Yeah, just like the Hawks only got low picks for their other players they needed to ship out.

Chief Walking Stick

Heeeh heeeeh he said POLES
Donator
Liked Posts:
Turco will be a fine replacement... who are the proper suitors for Niemi?

winos5

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
[quote name="Stu Grimson"]Turco will be a fine replacement... who are the proper suitors for Niemi?[/quote]

Pundits are saying Caps or Flyers in the East, Edmonton in the West. Only a few teams still need a goalie. I'd bet on the Eastern conference. I wonder about Montreal. Islanders have tons of cap space and seem to always have a surplus of goalies.

Edit: I'd include Atlanta on the list of East teams as well.

Larmer83

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
[quote name="Stu Grimson"]Turco will be a fine replacement... who are the proper suitors for Niemi?[/quote]

Islanders- Could have been more likely several days ago but since adding Wiz, they are now only $ 600K from the minimum. Still a possibilty given DiPietro's breakdownability.

Caps-Have the cap room. No additions to speak of for a team bounced in the 1st round of last seasons playoffs.

Oilers-No goalie prospect in their system. But why would they want Niemi after signing their back up 2 days ago?

Sharks-Junior would be out of his mind to trade Niemi to San Jose. But their cap situation is not too bad after signing Setoguchi to a team friendly deal. If the Hawks take a pass on Niemi and he becomes a UFA, it should not come as a shock if DW swoops in and signs Niemi.

DBQHawkFan

Liked Posts:
[quote name="Larmer83"]

Islanders- Could have been more likely several days ago but since adding Wiz, they are now only $ 600K from the minimum. Still a possibilty given DiPietro's breakdownability.

Caps-Have the cap room. No additions to speak of for a team bounced in the 1st round of last seasons playoffs.

Oilers-No goalie prospect in their system. But why would they want Niemi after signing their back up 2 days ago?

Sharks-Junior would be out of his mind to trade Niemi to San Jose. But their cap situation is not too bad after signing Setoguchi to a team friendly deal. If the Hawks take a pass on Niemi and he becomes a UFA, it should not come as a shock if DW swoops in and signs Niemi.[/quote]

It has been reported that they have already accepted the terms of the arbitrator's decision and signed him. Doug Wilson won't be able to 'swoop' in and get him as a UFA. And there is no way in hell that Scooter trades him to the Sharks after what Wilson did to the Hawks on the Hammer offer sheet. If he does, Rocky needs to kick him square in the nuts and relieve him of his duties......pronto!

Larmer83

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
[quote name="DBQHawkFan"]

It has been reported that they have already accepted the terms of the arbitrator's decision and signed him. Doug Wilson won't be able to 'swoop' in and get him as a UFA. And there is no way in hell that Scooter trades him to the Sharks after what Wilson did to the Hawks on the Hammer offer sheet. If he does, Rocky needs to kick him square in the nuts and relieve him of his duties......pronto![/quote]

Reported by Dan Roan?

winos5

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
[quote name="Larmer83"]

Reported by Dan Roan?[/quote]

NHLPA.

Larmer83

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
[quote name="winos5"]

NHLPA.[/quote]

I would not read too much into that. The NHLPA listed Niemi at $2.75M on the Hawks roster shortly after the arbitration decision. Under their free agent tracker, they show Niemi as signed on July 31, 2010.

I'm guessing Zito would have had a statement by now if the Hawks signed Niemi on Saturday. Same with the NHL. Nothing on NHL.com except an article titled "Decision day for Hawks on Niemi".

DBQHawkFan

Liked Posts:
[quote name="Larmer83"]

I would not read too much into that. The NHLPA listed Niemi at $2.75M on the Hawks roster shortly after the arbitration decision. Under their free agent tracker, they show Niemi as signed on July 31, 2010.

I'm guessing Zito would have had a statement by now if the Hawks signed Niemi on Saturday. Same with the NHL. Nothing on NHL.com except an article titled "Decision day for Hawks on Niemi".[/quote]

It was on Comcast Sprotsrise this morning also.

winos5

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
[quote name="Larmer83"]

I'm guessing Zito would have had a statement by now if the Hawks signed Niemi on Saturday. Same with the NHL. Nothing on NHL.com except an article titled "Decision day for Hawks on Niemi".[/quote]

Unless they were informed it would be a sign and trade. Thus Niemi's "What does this mean" statement.

Larmer83

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
[quote name="DBQHawkFan"]

It was on Comcast Sprotsrise this morning also.[/quote]

At what point in the show? I'm watching the rerun now. Ten minutes in when Sportsrise went to covereage of the Hawks...nothing on Niemi being signed.

DBQHawkFan

Liked Posts:
[quote name="Larmer83"]

At what point in the show? I'm watching the rerun now. Ten minutes in when Sportsrise went to covereage of the Hawks...nothing on Niemi being signed.[/quote]

I must have mis heard them then. I looked on their website and couldn;t find anything either. I doubt they just let him walk for nothing in return. They have the space that they can sign him and trade him for at least some asset.

If they decide not to keep him, that is.

bierboy

Liked Posts:
Kuc tweeting that the Hawks are walking away from Niemi's arbitration award and he's a UFA.