Niemis Arbitration

The Count Dante

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
[quote name="pmxc12873"]Great poker play?

Take a look at the rest of doogie's "hand" and let me know how that "dgroup" looks.

Mr. Charlie Daniels himself would agree thats shitty fiddle playing if his plan was to get Niemi and not Hjarllmasson to make that Dgroup better[/quote]

Wilson knew that Niemi and Hj were up for signs. Both are important. He needs a keep and a dman. Chicago has both and he knew Hawks could not keep both.

So, he puts a man to a decision...offers Hj a LARGE contract. Now, instead of both, Hawks must choose. He can make a play on the one Hawks dont keep. If we ditch Hj, he gets a great dman. If we ditch Niemi he can have a Cup goalie. Either way, he wins. And even sticks it to the team that stuck it to him as a bonus.

That is GREAT poker.

bookjones

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
[quote name="pmxc12873"]Great poker play?

Take a look at the rest of doogie's "hand" and let me know how that "dgroup" looks.

Mr. Charlie Daniels himself would agree thats shitty fiddle playing if his plan was to get Niemi and not Hjarllmasson to make that Dgroup better[/quote]

Agreed!

Sorry, I just don't buy into the whole "Doug Wilson played the Hawks" meme. If any of the conjecture is even remotely true about him playing highschool-like games then so be it but I'd add he oughtta be tossed out on his ass for negligence seeing as his primary responsibility as GM is to make the Sharks a better and more competitive team not playing so-called GM Games with a Conference competitor. Frankly, beyond getting Marleau and Setoguchi re-signed Wilson hasn't done jackshit else this offseason in that regard. I can believe SJ just plain wanted Hjalmarsson because they hadn't and still haven't done anything to respond to losing Blake to retirement. And that's just their D corp they haven't particularly addressed---they also lost Malhotra and Nabokov (inability for the team to make the SCFs or no he was a Top 5-10 goalie for them). I would hope Doug Wilson is trying to handle his fucking business instead of playing Mean Girls games with McD/Hawks because they don't "like" how Chicago does business. From my vantage point, one could argue the Hawks had to probably pay $500K more per year for Hjalmarsson then they would have preferred and so in that regard, SJ no doubt put the Hawks between a rock and a hard place but it's not like Wilson didn't mind-bogglingly sign Wallin for way too much at 2.5 mil himself---please, I'll take NH on defense at $1 mil more over Wallin 24-7-365. I'm not sure how anyone can really say SJ has come out on top of anyone or any situation so far this offseason. Can they still? Sure, there's still lots of time to make some deals happen before Training Camp and the season starts. He's mostly kept last year's very successful team in tact and that's a major plus but as of right now though that D is looking worse than it did at the end of the WCF, ditto their netminding, forwards corp also took a slight hit in regards to Malhotra's stud faceoff win percentage. . ergo, he hasn't done much of anything since May to warrant especial props or kudos yet IMO.

I don't know about playing Fiddle but I doubt paying Seabrook in his second contract 3.5 mil, the Hawks were going to offer Hjarlmarsson ANYWHERE near 4.5mil. In fact I think it would be more like 3.0-3.5 a mil or more below that.

So when that offer was made the Hawks were put to a clear choice. Do I sign Hjmarlmarsson and pray Niemi gets less than 2.5 (as to have the slightest Cap space while rostering 21 players) or do I let them keep Hmarlmarsson and sign Niemi?

We know which they chose for clear reasons. Now Wilson had spoken some where about an interest in Niemi. At some point before the UFA/RFA opening.

NO matter what San Jose will not come out on top for some of the tangibles you bring up. Most because of the Defensive Holes PMX pointed out. So knowing that now, after screwing the Hawks (at least in his own mind) does he continue on in getting Niemi, or roll with Nitty? Who gives a shit his team will never make it anywhere.

My only question would Wilson have played this same game if Tallon were here? Knowing they are friends? Doubt it.

Either way once Turco came into the picture at HALF THE COST, it was a slam dunk decision.

Larmer83

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
So the Niemi thread has gotten new legs via Dougie Wilson. I gotta give Wilson and his wife credit for this...

http://slanchreport.com/2010-articles/m ... ction.html

As far as knocking Wilson for letting Manny Malhotra go via UFA, well not so fast. Ever look at Malhotra's playoff production? I'll save you the time-Malhotra wins the draw and proceeds to do...nothing. In 15 playoff games this past season 1 goal, 0 assists with TOI/G at 16:55.

On the bright side, Mallhotra takes his playoff disappearing act to Vancouver. He should fit in quite nicely.

5Minutes4Fighting

Liked Posts:
[quote name="IceHogsFan"] The Doug Wilson debacle may conclude the way several have predicted in here all along.

If it ends up being the case then you can squarely blame the loss of Niemi on McDonough.[/quote]

Chris I really wonder about you sometimes. Your hate for McD blinds you and stops you from seeing what is right in front of your face.

Niemi is gone because of Zito totally misplayed his hand and because Turco just happened to be available at $1.3 mill. Its as simple as that.

-5Minutes

IceHogsFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
[quote name="5Minutes4Fighting"]

Chris I really wonder about you sometimes. Your hate for McD blinds you and stops you from seeing what is right in front of your face.

Niemi is gone because of Zito totally misplayed his hand and because Turco just happened to be available at $1.3 mill. Its as simple as that.

-5Minutes[/quote]

:lol:

bookjones

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
[quote name="R K"]I don't know about playing Fiddle but I doubt paying Seabrook in his second contract 3.5 mil, the Hawks were going to offer Hjarlmarsson ANYWHERE near 4.5mil. In fact I think it would be more like 3.0-3.5 a mil or more below that.

[/quote]

I think maybe you misunderstood me---I was only saying that I would gladly take Hjalmarsson and the 3.5 mil he's gonna get with it's debatable 500K overpayment (only questionable IMO because of the extreme cap vice, lol) any time and every day over the 2.5 mil Wilson is gonna cough up for fucking Wallin of all people. And consider it value and quality for the money. But I wasn't hinting that I'd ante up say 4.5 mil for NH! lol

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
There is no guarantee that Wilson will end up with Niemi, so he could very well be out a dman and a goalie and look like a douche for breaking this "unwritten code" like he did. I'm not saying, I'm just saying.

Very strange how it all worked out in the end.

That said Stan has really impressed me this summer. He took a very difficult situation and so far has made more than the best of it IMO.

Hawks will have almost their entire D corps back. Identical other than Sopel.

A goalie that's proven he can take the load, even behind a sub par team.

And a good majority of the offensive core. While you can say they may have lost depth, the youth is the key. If they can prove they have the talent, this team may not lose a beat.

With the individual leaders we have the Chemistry should come automatically. Especially once the season has past the first several weeks.

DROP THE PUCK and bring on the HATERS!!

bierboy

Liked Posts:
[quote name="R K"]....DROP THE PUCK and bring on the HATERS!![/quote]

now THAT'S what I'm talkin' about....

E Runs

Liked Posts:
Lock the thread?

Move all Neimi talk to the NHL Forum?

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
[quote name="R K"]Very strange how it all worked out in the end.

That said Stan has really impressed me this summer. He took a very difficult situation and so far has made more than the best of it IMO.

Hawks will have almost their entire D corps back. Identical other than Sopel.

A goalie that's proven he can take the load, even behind a sub par team.

And a good majority of the offensive core. While you can say they may have lost depth, the youth is the key. If they can prove they have the talent, this team may not lose a beat.

With the individual leaders we have the Chemistry should come automatically. Especially once the season has past the first several weeks.

DROP THE PUCK and bring on the HATERS!![/quote]

Preach it, Reverend!!!

Pez68

Fire Quenneville
Liked Posts:
Still no news about Niemi. Looking more and more like he'll be in the KHL or somewhere in Europe next year.

Morale of the story? Don't play hardball with the Stanley Cup winners.

[quote name="Pez68"]Still no news about Niemi. Looking more and more like he'll be in the KHL or somewhere in Europe next year.

Morale of the story? Don't play hardball with the Stanley Cup winners.[/quote]

Still a long way till October.

Pez68

Fire Quenneville
Liked Posts:
[quote name="R K"]

Still a long way till October.[/quote]

True...but the number of job openings for him is just going to go down. It just seems like, the longer a free agent goes without getting signed, the less likely he's going to be signed for what he's looking for. Obviously none of the teams that "were interested" in him, according to his agent, think his terms are reasonable. If they did, he would be signed by now. He has to be getting a little nervous.

[quote name="Pez68"]

True...but the number of job openings for him is just going to go down. It just seems like, the longer a free agent goes without getting signed, the less likely he's going to be signed for what he's looking for. Obviously none of the teams that "were interested" in him, according to his agent, think his terms are reasonable. If they did, he would be signed by now. He has to be getting a little nervous.[/quote]

well in order for San Jose to take him they need to make another move. I'd bet he's in the NHL. Just have a hard time seeing him in the KHL.

Pez68

Fire Quenneville
Liked Posts:
[quote name="R K"]

well in order for San Jose to take him they need to make another move. I'd bet he's in the NHL. Just have a hard time seeing him in the KHL.[/quote]

It would be really, really unfortunate to see that happen. I won't lie, even though Niemi and his agent are douchebags for the whole way this went down, I would feel bad for him if there is NO NHL job for him. Left standing without a chair when the music stops, so to speak.

[quote name="Pez68"]

It would be really, really unfortunate to see that happen. I won't lie, even though Niemi and his agent are douchebags for the whole way this went down, I would feel bad for him if there is NO NHL job for him. Left standing without a chair when the music stops, so to speak.[/quote]

HAHA!!! I was just picturing him walking around the chairs!!! ASS!!

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
He already said he's not going to KHL or Europe, even if it means taking a backup role in the NHL.