No Center? Available Options or is Cody really the plan?

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Do they like Deiter, Leatherwood, & Cody as their best options?

What's wrong with Whypler? 6.20 NFL grade looks tasty enough for their last 5th Rd. pick or trade up, but no?
Still on board in 6th as of this post.

I could see the advantage of having a Vet at Center this season who knows what he's doing, IF there's one available. Is there a vet C out there likely to be cut post-draft or post-June 1st?

Cody can't be plan A can he? IDK

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
My guess is Justin Fields didn't give his old teammate a good recommendation.

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Doug Kramer may be special

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My guess is Justin Fields didn't give his old teammate a good recommendation.
No one has picked him yet right? Just think he doesn’t have the athletic profile teams want

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Yeah, Patrick was brought here to play center, but then broke his thumb. He's a mediocre Guard but a decent enough center. I'm fine with either he or Whiterhair for this season.

Don’t get me wrong…. I’d have loved a center. But I’m not terribly worried either

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Hope so. I know last year was an embarrassment of futility at Center, although they did bring in Patrick & barely got to use him. I was looking FW to his experience running things at the time. Perhaps I undervalued him given his extreme lack of use at Center last season. Hope he or Cody can handle it.

Original question remains about any potential (improvement) FA cuts coming at Center?

Chicago4Life

Liked Posts:
Do they like Deiter, Leatherwood, & Cody as their best options?

What's wrong with Whypler? 6.20 NFL grade looks tasty enough for their last 5th Rd. pick or trade up, but no?
Still on board in 6th as of this post.

I could see the advantage of having a Vet at Center this season who knows what he's doing, IF there's one available. Is there a vet C out there likely to be cut post-draft or post-June 1st?

Cody can't be plan A can he? IDK
wypler has short arms and gets bull rushed easy...sounds like mustipher and we all know how that was for the bears...patrick/whitehair/eislen/kramer should all be in the mix at center

BearClaw55

SELL THE TEAM
Donator
Liked Posts:
Poles still has to spend a bunch of that cap money. Hopefully he is waiting to sign some post June 1, cap casualties to man the center position.

baselman1974

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Either one is better than Mustipher. Also bears improved the guard spot. So next year the Bears will draft a center and cut whitehair.

jooo83

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. DePaul Blue Demons
I hope this team is not counting on Lucas Patrick for anything. Whatever he gives the team next year should be considred a bonus.

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
I'm really scared if Poles means what he said about Whitehair and that wasn't a pre-draft cloak, which it must not have been.

Thing about waiting until next year to draft C is you're not cutting/sitting Whitehair you're running out his contract with him as your starting C. He's a fine backup plan but rating him as your guy is worrisome.

I'm not worried that Wypler wasn't taken when there was a chance, I assume there's something wrong with him. A little worried that a CB was taken instead of a center after the first run started or dline. I don't mind the thought of a bunch of great DBs but there is a blindness to the needs to do it. A huge blindness if he thinks Whitehair is the answer, even if he was good he's getting old.

After seeing the difference of Kreutz and not-Kreutz a good C should be all the oline needs unless someone busts.

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
Hope so. I know last year was an embarrassment of futility at Center, although they did bring in Patrick & barely got to use him. I was looking FW to his experience running things at the time. Perhaps I undervalued him given his extreme lack of use at Center last season. Hope he or Cody can handle it.

Original question remains about any potential (improvement) FA cuts coming at Center?
Apparently, there was no Center in the Draft worth taking....and relying on Patrick and Whitehair seems like a foolish way to approach the off season.

We have seen post draft cuts that can be legit starters elsewhere, so there is always hope, but this is really disappointing that a viable Center like Wypler went to the 6th round and the Bears decide that a LB (likely STs) was more important.