No Center? Available Options or is Cody really the plan?

Nelly

Liked Posts:
Unless you can improve on him for $4.8m, you only lose by cutting him
...and they're not going to cut a lockerroom leader at this point. Whitehair is the favorite to start at center and has about a 99.9% chance of being better than what we had last year. I'll take it. As Poles said, you can't upgrade every position in a big way every single year.

We upgraded at every single position on the line really (except for maybe RG).

LT: 2nd year Brax > Rookie Brax
LG: Jenkins > Whitehair
C: Whitehair > Mustipher
RG: Davis ~ Jenkins
RT: Wright > Reiff/Borom/Leatherwood

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
...and they're not going to cut a lockerroom leader at this point. Whitehair is the favorite to start at center and has about a 99.9% chance of being better than what we had last year. I'll take it. As Poles said, you can't upgrade every position in a big way every single year.

We upgraded at every single position on the line really (except for maybe RG).

LT: 2nd year Brax > Rookie Brax
LG: Jenkins > Whitehair
C: Whitehair > Mustipher
RG: Davis ~ Jenkins
RT: Wright > Reiff/Borom/Leatherwood
I'd could argue about RG but close enough.

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
If you cut Whitehair, you do that after June 1st, because cap savings are substantially more at that time

That's why drafting a center would've been a good idea. You go into the season with him starting. No need to cut him, in fact you wouldn't want to cut him.

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
FWIW, cutting Cody post June 1st will be a net savings of what, under $5mil right? Good amount of dead cap they'd still eat, but $5 mil is $5 mil IF they don't need him. Seems like they very much do, as of now. Could change by Aug. who knows ?‍♂️

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Same height, and heavier than Olin was

Olin was considered small as well. But he was able to compensate for his lack of height and ball out. But he's a rarity.

Not saying the new guy can't be good - but I tend to lean on the side of the trend vs the exception, until a player shows me they deserve to be considered an exception...

Aquineas

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Olin was considered small as well. But he was able to compensate for his lack of height and ball out. But he's a rarity.

Not saying the new guy can't be good - but I tend to lean on the side of the trend vs the exception, until a player shows me they deserve to be considered an exception...
Most of the time. Guys like Dana Stubblefield used to give him a hard time though.

ursamajor

D.J. Moore is phat
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

He is listed at 300. Not huge, but not undersized

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears

Ok - I honestly

Yeah, I just looked - 6ft 2 and 300 lbs. Why were people saying he was undersized then when the Bears drafted him? He was a late round pick and admittedly, I didn't pay much attention because Patrick was supposed to open up as our center (before he got hurt).

6ft 2 is a little short but not egregiously so.