No Center? Available Options or is Cody really the plan?

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
No, I'm saying you guys shouldn't whine and bitch about this as if the sky is falling, as if there are no other options. The teams future is not dependent on a 5th+ round development center.

Except UDFA/FA plans means he meant what he said about Whitehair being our center and isn't planning on fixing it.

And any way you slice it Whitehair is going to be 31 in a month. Even if Whitehair was good the time for a developmental center was now.

DBCOOPER

Liked Posts:
Except UDFA/FA plans means he meant what he said about Whitehair being our center and isn't planning on fixing it.

And any way you slice it Whitehair is going to be 31 in a month. Even if Whitehair was good the time for a developmental center was now.

He can get a development center whenever he wants, or go for someone in FA. Next year seems to be the time to replace him.

For a team that has needs all over the place, getting development guys for the future are a luxury.

PickSix

Liked Posts:
Poles should have over paid for one of the legit C’s in FA. They were cheap and big whoop if had to toss an extra mill or two to get them here. After cutting either Patrick or Whitehair the financial impact would have been immaterial.

Reactions: Myk

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
He can get a development center whenever he wants, or go for someone in FA. Next year seems to be the time to replace him.

For a team that has needs all over the place, getting development guys for the future are a luxury.

No, 15 DBs when you have needs all over the place is the luxury.

msadows

Liked Posts:
Poles should have over paid for one of the legit C’s in FA. They were cheap and big whoop if had to toss an extra mill or two to get them here. After cutting either Patrick or Whitehair the financial impact would have been immaterial.

Look at it this way, now whitehair can slam his big dick around town and coach up all the yungins.

He's not my choice paying a center 14m, but at least they got a vet who's been a bear for life thus far. Drive to these young kids on the line that its something to be proud of.

Spitta Andretti

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Center was already upgraded because Whitehair is so much better than Mustipher. Next offseason was always the ideal time that they move on from Cody

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
As they spend more time thinking about this, I wonder if in a year when they wanted to determine if Fields is the guy, the goal all along is to have Whitehair and Patrick battle it out so that there is a veteran at center.

Maybe I'm wrong and the guy that got last year is actually coming along, but man I have some doubts on that one given his size.

Mighty Joe Young

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Center was already upgraded because Whitehair is so much better than Mustipher. Next offseason was always the ideal time that they move on from Cody

Maybe.

I think for a lot of us, Cody had such a rough time at guard last season that we are all sort of ready to move on from him.

msadows

Liked Posts:

This oline, and this offense, actually looks very legit. I can't pinpoint one weakness.

I'll be disappointed if they aren't top 10 next year and shitting on teams regularly.

msadows

Liked Posts:
Maybe.

I think for a lot of us, Cody had such a rough time at guard last season that we are all sort of ready to move on from him.

I would have cut him solely because paying 14m for a center is batshit. But he's a solid player, he might not be a top end center but should be average to above average.

Feel like he also provides value to all the young kids around him.

baselman1974

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
I would have cut him solely because paying 14m for a center is batshit. But he's a solid player, he might not be a top end center but should be average to above average.

That's literally 5-6 levels above Mustipher. Mustipher is not even XFL level. He is the two-hand touch over 40 tear old Fall league level and that's pushing it.

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:

I don't consider it a win when you move on from one bad center to a worse center to go back to your bad center. That whole deal is what convinced me that we needed a real center who can play center from the draft. It's a more specialized position that not any DB can fill.

Well if we're fixing center in a draft, next year won't be the time to move on from Whitehair. He'll need to play out his contract to start while the rookie learns.

And I don't hate Whitehair. I just don't want him at center. I do think his pay is ridiculous but it's not my money.

Mighty Joe Young

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears

Under normal circumstances I would agree with you.

But with the Bears having all that cap room and still in a rebuilding mode, they can afford to hold on to Cody another year.

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
They liked Doug Kramer a lot before he got hurt. My guess is they still do.

2MuchChino

Liked Posts:
Is Doug Kramer now healthy? Physically he's close to Wypler so not sure why they'd pick another Kramer.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Don’t get me wrong…. I’d have loved a center. But I’m not terribly worried either
I'm probably overestimating this relationship, but I like to think there's something in the relationship between the center and QB. It'd be nice to have a guy along the way with Justin much in the same way of Jeff Saturday/Peyton Manning.

(I shouldn't have to explain that I'm comparing a relationship and not making a comparison to on the field abilities. Yet, we have a lot of stupid people who post here.)