No Center? Available Options or is Cody really the plan?

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
I’m not concerned they didn’t draft a center. I’m concerned they have 15 mil invested in center and neither of them is better than the fa centers getting 6.5 mil in fa. But it is what it is

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Few teams have an OL with all young players.

Jones - 24
Jenkins - 25
Davis - 26
Wright - 21
Borom - 24
Karmer -24
Carter - 24
Leatherwood -24
Eiselen - 26

I suspect they want a vet at C to call the plays and to provide leadership over the group. Whitehair and Patrick are 30 and 29 respectively. There is value in having one of them start at C.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Do they like Deiter, Leatherwood, & Cody as their best options?

What's wrong with Whypler? 6.20 NFL grade looks tasty enough for their last 5th Rd. pick or trade up, but no?
Still on board in 6th as of this post.

I could see the advantage of having a Vet at Center this season who knows what he's doing, IF there's one available. Is there a vet C out there likely to be cut post-draft or post-June 1st?

Cody can't be plan A can he? IDK
Yes and he plays well there... if he can hike a spiral.

Dagman310

Liked Posts:
I think they like Kramer. It would have been him over mustipher if he hadn't gotten hurt.

DBCOOPER

Liked Posts:
Cody can't be plan A can he? IDK
Why do people think this isn't plan A? I don't get the hate on Whitehair. No one picked in rounds 3+ was going to start over him in year one. The Bears need some depth at the position, but FA is still an option.

DBCOOPER

Liked Posts:
people had been calling for wypler since round 3-4 and he wasnt drafted until very late. clearly he fell for a reason
He doesn't have NFL strength yet. He needs to develop for 1-2 years. He came out too early. If the Bears selected him it's doubtful he'd contribute much as a rookie.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
Forsyth just went in front of the Bears. I liked him here.

doctorbear

Liked Posts:
Poles doesn’t like building the lines. He likes safeties first then cornerbacks second.

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Several of you mentioned Wypler has short arms &/or probably has something wrong...seems yes, given his huge drop despite high grade. Eases that concern. Still sucks they passed on several other good Centers who seemed to fit scheme needs. A couple did go earlier than expected tho. It happens.

FA / cuts seems the next option, or we better hope they know who they have in their room already. So many guys all were hurt last year; developmental & vets. I'm still surprised Cody didn't move to Center > Musty. I know G depth was thin too, but damn, that was bad, & not like they didn't know who Musty was (or was not!) from the year prior. But, once the tank was on, it didn't much matter, except that Fields was at risk.

I'd love it if one of these developmental guys like Deiter or Kramer steps up. It'd be a diamond find if so. They SHOULD have learned the O last year, even if hurt.

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Why do people think this isn't plan A? I don't get the hate on Whitehair. No one picked in rounds 3+ was going to start over him in year one. The Bears need some depth at the position, but FA is still an option.
Because they failed to use Cody at Center last season when shit was dire. Cody wasn't very good at Guard anyway am I right?

Losing a step would presumably be hidden more at Center than a pulling guard this O calls for? I know he got his ankle rolled up on at one point (b/c Musty got pushed into him ?). Maybe Cody lost a step after coming back from that.

Spitta Andretti

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
they'll probably go Center next draft but Whitehair and Patrick will be your centers this season

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:

Which are your favorite Whitehair snaps, the balls that skip across the ground or the ones that go sailing over the QB's head?

Yes nobody picked 3+ is going to start over him, and they won't next year either, or the year after that, or the year after that. Do you really think that is the excuse to do nothing? That is the reason you do something now before Whitehair is no longer a player.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Which are your favorite Whitehair snaps, the balls that skip across the ground or the ones that go sailing over the QB's head?

Yes nobody picked 3+ is going to start over him, and they won't next year either, or the year after that, or the year after that. Do you really think that is the excuse to do nothing? That is the reason you do something now before Whitehair is no longer a player.

The ones that led to him being selected to the Pro Bowl.

DBCOOPER

Liked Posts:

The bad snaps are overblown. No player in this draft would be better than Whitehair in their first year. Why can't center be addressed later, or in FA? No one special was in this draft. You guys are bitching about 5th+ round projects over proven veteran talent.

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
The bad snaps are overblown. No Center in this draft would be better than Whitehair in their first year. Why can't center be addressed later? No one special was in this draft.

So you really do think rookies being rookies is an excuse to do nothing. Like rookies won't always be rookies and you will always have that excuse.

No the bad snaps were not overblown. What they blew were games and plenty of them.

DBCOOPER

Liked Posts:
So you really do think rookies being rookies is an excuse to do nothing. Like rookies won't always be rookies and you will always have that excuse.

No the bad snaps were not overblown. What they blew were games and plenty of them.
No, I'm saying you guys shouldn't whine and bitch about this as if the sky is falling, as if there are no other options. The teams future is not dependent on a 5th+ round development center.

thedarkstark

Liked Posts:
He literally picked OL in the 1st round and multiple DL in rounds 2, 3, and 7.

40% of the picks went to the lines.
And he picked zero safeties that guy is hitting the sauce too early or he's just an idiot, probably both.