No idea why Daniels isn't staring at C...cody whitewho?

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:
Greg Gabriel tweeted a while back that Hiestand is the type of coach that will always play the vet unless the rookie is just hands down better. So that may have something to do with this as well.
Could that be because he was previously a college coach who only had kids for four years? Serious question, because I would probably tend to play my senior who I knew exactly what I was getting over a sophomore that flashed a couple of times unless the sophomore was just obviously outclassing the other player.

The NFL operates on a different timeline, but I'm curious what his historical basis is in that tweet.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
For me it is not about who is playing C.

It is about getting Daniels into the starting line up because he is better than Kush and will only continue to get better.

I am also not opposed to giving Coward some 1st team reps. The sooner someone pushes Massie to the bench the better.

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:
He sounded pretty passionate in his defense of his BFF Cody having issues when the media brought it up, so I assume Cody's gonna get every chance until it starts impacting us in the regular season.
The funny fucked up thing about that is he then proceeded to drop a perfectly snapped ball for a safety making himself and grey bush both look like idiots.

I'm calling it the "Bush Mole fail"

napo55

Liked Posts:
Why? If Kush is the better player at this point then he should be playing. Having numerous quality options is a good thing cause we'll need them throughout the season.

From what I've seen and heard, Kush has been the weak link on the line. The key is getting the 5 best players in the starting lineup. So why not give Daniels time at LG if they insist on Keeping Whitehair at C?

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I know PFF is hit or miss on this board but Daniels again graded highly in back to back weeks.

I like Daniels but really, who did he get those grades against?

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
He seemed pretty forceful in his defense of Whitehair.

Yeah, I saw that as well. Trubisky isn't the kind of guy whose going to throw his players under the bus though. I would not have expected him to say, "Yeah, Cody is struggling with snapping the ball and I expect Daniels to be the guy."

Washington

Liked Posts:
Greg Gabriel tweeted a while back that Hiestand is the type of coach that will always play the vet unless the rookie is just hands down better. So that may have something to do with this as well.

Hands down better? If the rookie is as good as the vet, the rookie should be playing so he can develop even more since his ceiling has to be way higher than the guy he's already as good at. This should be especially true with a young team that is going nowhere this year.

Daniels should be playing and I personally agree with many others that he should be playing center. He was supposedly the best center in all of college last year so why not let him play the position he has excelled at?

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Could that be because he was previously a college coach who only had kids for four years? Serious question, because I would probably tend to play my senior who I knew exactly what I was getting over a sophomore that flashed a couple of times unless the sophomore was just obviously outclassing the other player.

The NFL operates on a different timeline, but I'm curious what his historical basis is in that tweet.

He used to be an NFL coach. Gabriel knows him from the NFL. (Both were on the Bears staff at one point)

Probie2429

Liked Posts:
The only reason I can think of why Daniels isn't the starting center is that he isn't comfortable with making the reads at the line of scrimmage just yet. Since Trubs is barely capable of that himself, you want a more seasoned center to mitigate. I'd have to go back and look at which rookie centers have come in and contributed right away, but my guess is that played with seasoned veteran QBs not rookies.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
The only reason I can think of why Daniels isn't the starting center is that he isn't comfortable with making the reads at the line of scrimmage just yet. Since Trubs is barely capable of that himself, you want a more seasoned center to mitigate. I'd have to go back and look at which rookie centers have come in and contributed right away, but my guess is that played with seasoned veteran QBs not rookies.

And what stops Whitehair from making all the reads and adjustments ... at guard? It has happened before. Let Daniels worry about snapping and blocking?

Visionman

Liked Posts:
And what stops Whitehair from making all the reads and adjustments ... at guard? It has happened before. Let Daniels worry about snapping and blocking?

Because then Daniels will be adjusting to C, and Whitehair will be adjusting to making calls from a different vantage point at OG, along with Trubs already having enough he's adjusting to do himself to worry about all of that as well.

Give it time...

ChiBears78

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
  2. Illinois State Redbirds
I played Center and Guard along with coaching the OL (and run game coordinator) at the semi-pro level. Daniels should be starting at C. The biggest argument for Whitehair at Center is he can call the adjustments. Well, he can do that at LG. I did when I played G. I had my G do it when I coached. It's not unheard of at all. People point to his short arms, but Whitehair is a stud blocker. Great hands, good feet, strong base and doesn't get pushed around. He's not playing in space like he would at OT, so his arms are less concerning to me at OG. The biggest problem is his inconsistent snaps. It throws the timing off of the whole play. In an offense that is built around timing and quick hits, such as this one, the play is completely broken before it can get started if the snap is off. Whitehairs snaps are to inconsistent for this offense. If Daniels snaps are clean and consistent, he is the no brainer at C with Whitehair moving to LG and making the line adjustments from there.

Treehorn

Liked Posts:
I like Daniels but really, who did he get those grades against?

He can only block who is in front of him. But if you're the coach and the 1st string guy keeps getting his ass handed to him, and is a career backup who has bounced around, while you have a rookie who is doing well against 2nd stringers don't you make the switch to see how he does against 1st team players?

High 2nd round picks play right away, there is no reason Kush should be ahead of him. Makes zero sense.

MidwestMonster2

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Maybe they haven't moved him because there's more to playing center than snapping the football? :shrug:

They were not to worried about that when they drafted a guard and started him at center. Seems like they would have even less worries about that when they drafted one of the top centers to play center?

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
Because then Daniels will be adjusting to C, and Whitehair will be adjusting to making calls from a different vantage point at OG, along with Trubs already having enough he's adjusting to do himself to worry about all of that as well.

Give it time...
No, Daniels played center for a long time. The only thing he would have to do is adjust to making the calls ... which wouldn´t have to do.

Who care if Whitehair has to adjust to making a call from a different angle? I would worry about the shitty snappy being corrected first.

Do you know what would make Trubisky´s workload easier? Not having to worry about playing short stop with shitty snaps.

Zion

Magitek Knight
Liked Posts:
Brad Biggs said he's heard rumors that the Bears might make the switch to Daniels at C. Rich Campbell said he hasn't heard anything like that and that it would surprise him. He said the Bears view Whitehair as a leader in the locker room and moving him would be an admission of defeat and would hurt his stock as a leader.

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
Brad Biggs said he's heard rumors that the Bears might make the switch to Daniels at C. Rich Campbell said he hasn't heard anything like that and that it would surprise him. He said the Bears view Whitehair as a leader in the locker room and moving him would be an admission of defeat and would hurt his stock as a leader.
While I think that's somewhat true about Whitehair, the Bears really are at fault for this issue. Had they made a move earlier for Daniels at Center, it wouldn't look bad on Whitehair like it does now. Also, it's rather strange because the LG is usually the better OL than the Center. Who knows

Noonthirtyjoe

Liked Posts:
Not sure why Mitch would be upset his pal will be 3 feet to the left of where he was. We drafted a C and he should be at C now. We drafted a G/T when we drafted Cody. I don't see Cody losing cred here as he would be a top G and building block.