O.J Howard at #3?

pseudonym

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Not at #3. But if we traded down, he's impressive for sure.

Liked Posts:
With OJ I see a 6'6 monster whose best days are ahead of him. Alabama barely used him but I can see him becoming a #2 option on a NFL team right away. I would trade back, gain another 2nd and/or 3rd rounder and still walk away with Howard. You draft Howard, Bears wont need another WR for now.

IMO OJ Howard isnt really for Glennon, he's for the QB we draft next year.

Liked Posts:
Bears are also bringing in Evan Engram for a workout.

Real question is how much better is OJ Howard compared to David Njoku & Evan Engram?

Engram looks like a stud but hes undersized (230lbs) which is concerning, but there's a chance he's available in the 2nd round. Njoku probably gone in the 1st.

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The fact that someone would actually advocate using the third overall pick on a TE is mind boggling to me.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Bears are also bringing in Evan Engram for a workout.

Real question is how much better is OJ Howard compared to David Njoku & Evan Engram?

Engram looks like a stud but hes undersized (230lbs) which is concerning, but there's a chance he's available in the 2nd round. Njoku probably gone in the 1st.

This. Plenty of TE depth in this draft that can become consistent contributors can be found in later rounds. Howard would be a luxury pick in the 1st like Devin was in the 2nd rd in 2006.
Bears can't afford a luxury right now with so many talent deficiencies on the roster at other positions.

And here are Tony Gonzalez's "impressive" college stats which clearly showed he was on his way to a HOF NFL career
http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/tony-gonzalez-2.html

Liked Posts:
The fact that someone would actually advocate using the third overall pick on a TE is mind boggling to me.

Different type of draft....usually there's a great QB or LT you can take but this year there isn't. IMO I would take the most explosive offensive player I can get. Get a rookie who can score TDs while only making 3-4mil a year.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Different type of draft....usually there's a great QB or LT you can take but this year there isn't. IMO I would take the most explosive offensive player I can get. Get a rookie who can score TDs while only making 3-4mil a year.
So Fournette

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

:pace:

So if you don't need a QB or a LT then TE?

got it.

Why not long snapper or punter?

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
This offense needs playmakers at the receiver position

Wild_x_Card

Liked Posts:
And a fullback is a running back.......

Name the last full back to rush for 1000. In the same breath name the last TE to go over 1000. O.J Howard just maybe mind boggling at 3, but your comps are worse.

MrOuija

Liked Posts:
He had better be better in the pros. If he is drafted top 15 and has 7 TD's and similar averages after 4 seasons of play he would be a huge bust.

I think he would have to be a perennial pro bowler to be a steal inside the top 15. Let's say he ends up being Greg Olsen 2.0, would you consider that as a steal? I would say any first rnd TE should be expected to play at that level.

Vernon Davis and Kellen Winslow Jr are the only recent TE's drafted inside the top 10.
Davis: 505-6424 57TD's
Winslow: 469-5236 25TD's
Neither one of those, I would consider steals or even good picks, Davis has the seventh most receiving yards in NFL history for a TE.
TE is still not a value position. To be a top 15 esp top 3 pick, he need be a generational player.

Yeah if he was Olsen 2.0 and I picked him at say 14, it'd be a damn good pick IMO since I consider Olsen one of the very best in the league. I hear what you're saying about a TE needing to be a generational player to warrant being a top 3 pick, as I feel similar about the safety position. I wouldn't take Howard that high, but if I was picking in the middle of the round I wouldn't expect generational, i'd expect a high level athlete with upside that could play right away.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Adam Hoge Mock Draft 3.0

1. TE O.J Howard
2. CB Adoree Jackson
3. FS Justin Evans
4. OLB Tarrell Bashem
4. WR Josh Reynolds
5. OT Dan Skipper
7. K Zane Gonzalez

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
So, fans would rather have O.J. Howard then a Mike Williams or a Corey Davis?

Personally yes.

I think he is a far more unique athlete to those players.

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
So, fans would rather have O.J. Howard then a Mike Williams or a Corey Davis?

A TE like David Njoku runs wide receiver routes. Killing 2 birds with one stone.

Williams

- 6'4 218
- 33 3/8 arms
- 4.49 40
- 32.5 inch vert

Howard

- 6'6 251
- 33 3/4 arms
- 4.51 40
- 30 inch vert

Njoku

- 6'4 246
- 35 1/4 arms
- 4.49 40
- 40 inch vert

If you were to clump all WR/TE prospects together, Njoku and Howard would be at the top of the list.