dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Pace goes with 1st Round Freaks with Upside....

Kevin White
Leonard Floyd
OJ Howard

Beast

Could happen but not sure he'd go TE at #3 but we do know he wants to trade down so i definitely think OJ is on his board.

Smokey Robinson

Liked Posts:
Likely in the minority here but I would be happy with OJ even at 3. If they are not going QB then grab the player with the highest upside. If OJ is one of the top players at his position in a few years no one will say a thing about being picked "too early". Same goes for Adams and Hooker.

All the elite prospects in this draft, excluding Garrett, play what are traditionally viewed as non premium positions, so if you're choosing between a 5-tech, a S and a TE just make sure you get the guy with the best shot at being dominant at his position.

laputan

Liked Posts:
Likely in the minority here but I would be happy with OJ even at 3. If they are not going QB then grab the player with the highest upside. If OJ is one of the top players at his position in a few years no one will say a thing about being picked "too early". Same goes for Adams and Hooker.

All the elite prospects in this draft, excluding Garrett, play what are traditionally viewed as non premium positions, so if you're choosing between a 5-tech, a S and a TE just make sure you get the guy with the best shot at being dominant at his position.

I think most fans will be pleased with any of the names being talked about at 3 as well as a tradedown.

Who can Pace pick at 3 that you would say, WTF?

Two years down the line will be a different story, but immediately post-draft, Bears fans will be happy. (as long one of the top 3 picks is a QB)

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I am starting to buy in less and less to the positional value thing. I know some positions will always be valued more than others, but I think it all depends on how you are going to use a player.

Gronk is the center piece to the Patriots offense, so it is hard to argue in that case that he is not worth as much because he plays TE.

I would be fine with Howard. He has elite upside.

But so help me god if Loggains uses him like he is a traditional TE I will be pissed.

Liked Posts:
This TE class is fairly deep. He would be a great addition, but what would you be missing out on?

I like Adam, but that is the safe pick at a position of need. Pace has 2 years in a row gone for the high risk, high reward type players in the first round, so your thought process is not that crazy, even though O.J Howard is not a high risk guy it is risky taking a TE at 3.

There are some nice OT talents too that are projected to start coming off the board in the middle of the first to the top of the fourth round also. I do want to see the Bears pick one of the OTs in this draft, especially Bolles if he slips a bit & is still available when the Bears second pick is up. I would love to see QB & OT as the Bears first two picks in that order. It really is time that the Bears address these two positions with young upstart talent, & stop half assing it with filling these two vital positions.

I do hope to see the Bears come away with an offense heavy draft with the QB,OT, &TE (or WR) positions all addressed.

Smokey Robinson

Liked Posts:
I think most fans will be pleased with any of the names being talked about at 3 as well as a tradedown.

Two years down the line will be a different story, but immediately post-draft, Bears fans will be happy. (as long one of the top 3 picks is a QB)

Fournette or Cook would be a WTF pick to me. Pulling another Kevin White, trying to replace Alshon, with Williams or Davis would also be picks I wouldn't be very happy with.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
If you are going to target Howard 125-150 times then he is worth the 3rd pick

If you are going to targsy him 80 times, like an average TE, then he is not worth the pick.

Smokey Robinson

Liked Posts:
If you are going to target Howard 125-150 times then he is worth the 3rd pick

If you are going to targsy him 80 times, like an average TE, then he is not worth the pick.

From a talent standpoint he would immediately become our #1 WR so you would hope he would be targeted as such.

PeterMbangala

Liked Posts:
I am starting to buy in less and less to the positional value thing. I know some positions will always be valued more than others, but I think it all depends on how you are going to use a player.

Gronk is the center piece to the Patriots offense, so it is hard to argue in that case that he is not worth as much because he plays TE.

I would be fine with Howard. He has elite upside.

But so help me god if Loggains uses him like he is a traditional TE I will be pissed.

I don't always agree with him but it was interesting (to me) hearing Mayock talk at the combine about the NFL essentially becoming a match up league, particularly in the passing game. If you take his argument to its logical conclusion then why would you worry about whether a pass catcher lines up as a WR or TE. The same applies for coverage guys: S, LB, CB. What your looking for on offense is to create a mismatch that is hard to scheme against and I guess Howard is the embodiment of that in this draft. If we took him, he'd instantly be our biggest threat in the passing game and you'd expect a competent OC to get him heavily involved.

Times change. I can certainly see S, particularly FS, becoming a critical position if the league continues to develop as it has in the last few years. So I have no problem at all taking whoever they think has the biggest upside at 3, wherever they play.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
OJ Howard is a matchup nightmare.......I have stated before I think he will wreck the middle of the field. It could cause issues for a defense and put them on their heels at times.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I don't always agree with him but it was interesting (to me) hearing Mayock talk at the combine about the NFL essentially becoming a match up league, particularly in the passing game. If you take his argument to its logical conclusion then why would you worry about whether a pass catcher lines up as a WR or TE. The same applies for coverage guys: S, LB, CB. What your looking for on offense is to create a mismatch that is hard to scheme against and I guess Howard is the embodiment of that in this draft. If we took him, he'd instantly be our biggest threat in the passing game and you'd expect a competent OC to get him heavily involved.

Times change. I can certainly see S, particularly FS, becoming a critical position if the league continues to develop as it has in the last few years. So I have no problem at all taking whoever they think has the biggest upside at 3, wherever they play.

This is very true.

I think more and more we see a ton of value put on guys who can do unique things in the passing game. Safeties that can cover like CBs, LBs that can run and keep up with TEs and RBs, RBs that can really run routes out of the backfield, and TEs that cannot be covered by anyone from a physical stand point.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
I've warmed up a bit to the idea of drafting Howard.

I don't believe TE is as critical a position as others, and I like the idea of really solidifying the D.

But you could argue he'd be our best player if we draft him.

PeterMbangala

Liked Posts:
This is very true.

I think more and more we see a ton of value put on guys who can do unique things in the passing game. Safeties that can cover like CBs, LBs that can run and keep up with TEs and RBs, RBs that can really run routes out of the backfield, and TEs that cannot be covered by anyone from a physical stand point.

It will be interesting to see where McCaffrey goes for example. A few years he would probably have been seen as a bit of a luxury pick but if his route running lives up to the hype in the NFL, he could be another matchup nightmare. It would be dumb to me to see him fall just because he plays a position that is currently undervalued when he has a somewhat unique skill set. But maybe this is how Pace can get value?

PeterMbangala

Liked Posts:
I've warmed up a bit to the idea of drafting Howard.

I don't believe TE is as critical a position as others, and I like the idea of really solidifying the D.

But you could argue he'd be our best player if we draft him.

I probably wouldn't do it at 3 myself, but I'd have zero problem with it.

You could make a case that any of the top 10 picks would be our best player if drafted. I mean, who is our best player? A fifth-round RB or an injured guard?

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange

I'm starting to see M.Lattimore being mocked to us at #3 more lately. I don't think there's too many that would question him as having the best skills and being the best CB in this draft but those hamstring injuries are my biggest concern with him. Hammy injuries are tricky and the type of injury that you'll feel like it's gone but can get reinjured easily. I'm not sure what other injuries if any that he's had but would like to know if anyone knows??

So what would you guys think about Lattimore at #3??

Liked Posts:
If you add OJ Howard to our WRs....the Bears wont need another WR.

OJ Howard
Kevin White
Cameron Meredith
Markus Wheaton
Kendall Wright

Those are solid targets. OJ Howard COULD BE THE BEST TE IN THE LEAGUE 2-3 YEARS FROM NOW. I have no problem taking him at 3 or trading back an taking him.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I'm starting to see M.Lattimore being mocked to us at #3 more lately. I don't think there's too many that would question him as having the best skills and being the best CB in this draft but those hamstring injuries are my biggest concern with him. Hammy injuries are tricky and the type of injury that you'll feel like it's gone but can get reinjured easily. I'm not sure what other injuries if any that he's had but would like to know if anyone knows??

So what would you guys think about Lattimore at #3??

There is a good chance that he is the BPA if Garrett and Thomas go 1 and 2.

The Bears do not have anything resembling a #1 CB or someone who can even become one. He is an elite athlete at the position that also produces big plays.

He would be a good pick.

The hamstring injuries are not a huge worry for me

Freshman: Surgery
Sophmore: Didn't finish the season as he worked his way back
Junior: Healthy

That is often the path of someone after surgery.

Better nutrition and healthcare that he will get in the NFL will also help.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm a big fan of taking legit prototype players with pedigree, production, measurables, and elite coaching.

Adams, Howard, Fournette, Allen, Mike Williams

viewed in that light, are 5 of the most perfect prospects you will ever find. There isn't much you can know. Fournette has a little character ?, Allen has arthritic shoulders a decade away, that some irresponsible GM that wants to draft him decided to focus on with the media to see if they can get them to drop, probably like a San Diego to put him next to Bosa and double down on line dominance. "How do we get Allen to fall to us?" would be a reasonable question in their war room.

I have no problem with drafting the best player at their position at a position of need either. You start trying to project based on undewear how Thomas/Charlton are going to be even better in the pro's than in college is how you find busts. Taking postional value over proven players is how you find busts.

Ignoring clear injury prone sign (Hooker, Lattimore) in guys that need time to learn, is how you find busts. They will be on stretchers by the time they know what they are doing.

If you draft Howard I guarantee you didn't waste the first round. You got something. You got a TE. You have a roster spot for them, they will do more than keep it warm and train for 2 years while they prepare to play d-line or WR or QB that takes time. That TE steps in day 1 and upgrades the 2 deep roster for 4 years minimum value out of the pick. Adds a weapon, a piece that must be accounted for.

there is nothing wrong with taking Howard.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
I'm a big fan of taking legit prototype players with pedigree, production, measurables, and elite coaching.

Adams, Howard, Fournette, Allen, Mike Williams

I have no problem with drafting the best player at their position at a position of need either. You start trying to project based on undewear how Thomas/Charlton are going to be even better in the pro's than in college is how you find busts. Taking postional value over proven players is how you find busts.

there is nothing wrong with taking Howard.

You do realize that OJ Howard has 7 total TD's in 46 games played and averaged 2.5 receptions and 37 yards per game during his college career and only 3 rec and 39 yards as a senior, so it's not like it is skewed due to his first few years.

Howard will be the ultimate lack of production,draft for potential/combine #'s player in this draft, if he is taken in the first round.

Oh that's right Saban said he under used him in 2015/16 ...and then did it again in 2016/17. Too bad he played for a shitty coach that doesn't know how to utilize players.

And as for him going at #3. Not gonna happen.