O.J Howard at #3?

PolarBear

Liked Posts:
Haha some of Theeeeeeee worst comparisons I've heard on this board which is extremely impressive.

Solomon Thomas/Pernell Mcphee - Tweener (almost exactly same size coming out of college, Pernell was longer), great at shedding blocks and is extremely strong on the edge. He is a slightly more athletic Pernell McPhee. That isn't a knock in anyway, McPhee is a good player and that's exactly who he plays like. He is going to win with strength, shedding blocks not with athleticism or his ability to bend around the corner.

Jonathan Allen/Jurell Casey - Allen is longer and leaner than Casey but they win in similar ways. Bucky Brooks even mentioned this as a comparison. Allen wins with great technique most of the time and with his hands, not with his athletic ability, similar to Jurell Casey. Jurell Casey is a good DL in the NFL, not sure how its a knock or terrible comparison.

Antonio Gates/O.J Howard - Both guys didn't have the best college football production (Antonio gates essentially had none) but with the way that both these guys move at at their sizes is extremely impressive and very comparable. Both have great ball skills, O.J was a 3-sport star playing football, basketball and baseball and was very good at all of them. Gates as we know was a good basketball player and played college ball.

I would love to hear some better comparisons.

Wild_x_Card

Liked Posts:
Solomon Thomas/Pernell Mcphee - Tweener (almost exactly same size coming out of college, Pernell was longer), great at shedding blocks and is extremely strong on the edge. He is a slightly more athletic Pernell McPhee. That isn't a knock in anyway, McPhee is a good player and that's exactly who he plays like. He is going to win with strength, shedding blocks not with athleticism or his ability to bend around the corner.

Jonathan Allen/Jurell Casey - Allen is longer and leaner than Casey but they win in similar ways. Bucky Brooks even mentioned this as a comparison. Allen wins with great technique most of the time and with his hands, not with his athletic ability, similar to Jurell Casey. Jurell Casey is a good DL in the NFL, not sure how its a knock or terrible comparison.

Antonio Gates/O.J Howard - Both guys didn't have the best college football production (Antonio gates essentially had none) but with the way that both these guys move at at their sizes is extremely impressive and very comparable. Both have great ball skills, O.J was a 3-sport star playing football, basketball and baseball and was very good at all of them. Gates as we know was a good basketball player and played college ball.

I would love to hear some better comparisons.

Your leaving out some key factors in an effort to make your point. Slightly better althlete than McPhee? Jesus Christ. Stop it.

PolarBear

Liked Posts:
Your leaving out some key factors in an effort to make your point. Slightly better althlete than McPhee? Jesus Christ. Stop it.

What factors? Thomas's tape doesn't show me some super twitchy edge rusher who is going to bend the corner like Demarcus Ware. I see a no-nonsense, get out my way, bull rusher who will sling you out of the way and go get the QB. Play styles are virtually identical. Thomas doesn't live up to that combine showing on tape, mainly because his play style is more about strength than speed.

Allen and Casey I have seen many comparisons similar to mine.

Tjodalv

Discoverer of Dragosaurs
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
I don't have the strength to read through this right now; are there actually people advocating making him the highest drafted TE of all time?

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't have the strength to read through this right now; are there actually people advocating making him the highest drafted TE of all time?

I don't think you take him at 3 but a trade down a bit yes. Only if the Bears QB target(s) are gone.

Noonthirtyjoe

Liked Posts:

Kinda. Some want to trade down, get the TE and a extra pick. Thought being we need play makers and QB help and this would cover both. Not my ideal but that's what I got out of it.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Kinda. Some want to trade down, get the TE and a extra pick. Thought being we need play makers and QB help and this would cover both. Not my ideal but that's what I got out of it.

I could understand it but not a big advocate of it. This draft is so deep in TE's, Pace could get a good prospect in later rounds. After signing Sims, TE probably won't be addressed until day 3. If he addresses it at all.

Noonthirtyjoe

Liked Posts:
I could understand it but not a big advocate of it. This draft is so deep in TE's, Pace could get a good prospect in later rounds. After signing Sims, TE probably won't be addressed until day 3. If he addresses it at all.
TE should be addressed somewhere in this draft. We don't have a true worthy TE on the roster. 1. Can't stay on the field, 2 is a blocker, 3 is young Potential.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
TE should be addressed somewhere in this draft. We don't have a true worthy TE on the roster. 1. Can't stay on the field, 2 is a blocker, 3 is young Potential.

I agree too. If pace ducks this up, then just another nail in his coffin. Last year's positional depth was pretty weak compared to this year.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
There is no better time than in this draft to address TE

LiverpoolBearsFAn

Liked Posts:
Yeah I would actually love to see us take Howard early. If Gronk was there (recent injuries notwithstanding) would you take him at 3? This guy looks special, plus it's also worth considering how much we have struggled in the red zone recently. If you look at our yardage last season, we were 15th in total yards and 28th in points. We moved the ball (especially with Howard) but we couldn't get the ball into the end zone. Howard's size would be a big help - there's no point in paying Glennon if we don't give him the red zone targets when we move the ball up there.

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
There is no better time than in this draft to address TE

I 100% agree, but not with the #3 pick. If Bears go QB with their first, I am on board with them taking a TE with their 2nd. Let them grow together.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
I 100% agree, but not with the #3 pick. If Bears go QB with their first, I am on board with them taking a TE with their 2nd. Let them grow together.

I really, really like OJ Howard, and the Bears need a playmaker on offense in a bad way. That being said, if they don't draft a QB with the number 3 pick I would prefer they trade down if possible and grab OJ and then do something at the back of the first or in the second with the future potential QB. If Garrett is available at 3 grab him.......

PolarBear

Liked Posts:
1. Myles Garrett
2. Mitch Trubisky
3a. O.J Howard
3b. Jamal Adams

I am good with any of those 4 guys.

DJMoore_is_fat

Liked Posts:
Could you imagine Glennon fading back to pass looking for OJ Howard when an Edge Rush zips by Massie and obliterates The Giraffe? LMAO.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Because I would be afraid that Dowell Loggains wouldn't use Howard's skills in such a way that its worthy of the #3 overall pick. The Bears had Greg Olsen and had him blocking and running 5 yard drag routes. He leaves and becomes one of the best TEs in the league because the Panthers are smart enough to have him run 15-20 yards downfield and lob him the ball.

The Seahawks traded their best OL and leader (Max Unger) to get Jimmy Graham, and its been a disaster. Their OL cannot run block, so when defenses see that Graham is in the game, they can simply play the pass. The whole point of teams having great TEs (like the Patriots) is that you create indecision in the defense...you can run or pass from a 2 TE offense, and if you pass you can take advantage of a defense playing 8 in the box or having Greg Olsen being covered by an OLB. I just don't see the Bears offense ever creating that 'indecision' with opposing defenses.

On a side note, the Bears haven't really applied their top picks very well. Kyle Long was a 1st round OG. Whitehair is now a 2nd round OC. You still have issues with both OT positions. There was a huge dropoff IMO from Amari Cooper to Kevin White...Cooper was unquestionably a #1 WR...White was a project/#2 WR who you hoped would develop into a #1...not really a top 10 'immediate impact' pick. Leonard Floyd is another top 10 project. The result is after several years of picking high in the draft, you have a team that is completely devoid of talent at QB/WR/TE, and has issues at OT and pass rusher. Perhaps this could be overcome in 1932 with a Wing-T offense, but in 2017 NFL its more difficult to be anything other than a 3-13 team.

Excellent post.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I couldn't get mad if we drafted OJ at #3 but he's one of those guys that we could trade down and still get inside the top 10-12 IMO while picking up an extra pick or two.

I've been giving more thought to guys like him and even C.McCaffrey lately as guys we could get in the mid to late part of the draft while picking up extra picks. I know nobody is gonna be with me on drafting McCaffrey and i'm actually surprising myself with this but J.Howard has a weakness with pass catching and McCaffrey is great at it and the kid just runs so smooth after the catch and can do PR/KR duties.

I wouldn't mind OJ Howard but to be able to have a J.Howard/C.McCaffrey backfield would be big for us on offense.

I love McCaffrey and think that somehow the 9ers are going to get him via a trade down.

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
1. Myles Garrett
2. Mitch Trubisky
3a. O.J Howard
3b. Jamal Adams

I am good with any of those 4 guys.

OJ Howard is going to be a beast but we already have one Howard.

Liked Posts:
If you draft OJ Howard, you might not need another WR. Bears need an offensive playmaker. A guy who can score TDs for us on a cheap contract the next 4 years. I would love a OJ Howard pick.