O.J Howard at #3?

SlipScreen

Liked Posts:
if Pace drafted him at #3 Pace should be fired on the Spot. Hell anyone in the bears front office that even SUGGESTS him a #3 should be fired on the Spot.

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I think you spelled his name wrong. It's David Njoku.

[video=youtube_share;hs8Xq0Xm0Oc]https://youtu.be/hs8Xq0Xm0Oc[/video]

hqdefault.jpg

ZQHZyeWL.jpg

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
He scored on a 68 yard busted coverage lob pass and had 3 more total catches for 38 yards. Far from dominant. Leggett had 7 for 95 and a clutch game saver late. Howard wasn't even the best TE in that game. This season in 10 of 15 games he had 3 or less catches, 12 of 15 60 yards or less. The question is have you seen anything other than the NC games the last 2 years? He is far from dominant.

Yeah, yeah, I know, Nick Saban, underutilized, bad coaching, blah, blah.

You didn't watch many Alabama games this year did you or since Saban came aboard?
The tight end is particularly under utilized in his offense. His job was to block first then occasionally get a pass thrown his way.
I am not advocating drafting OJ at #3 at all. But judging him on that game with a running QB who is basically a poor man's version of Kapernick is silly

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
No we don't and that is why we should not rest until we find a QB. TE at @3 is silly shit. At least an elite Safety can QB the defense, TE is a skill position and nothing more.

I don't disagree. I prefer taking a QB early and be done with it. The growing sentiment is that the BEars will get a QB in the 3rd round......I don't want that. I have also heard that the QBs may slip in the draft and possibly a good one available in the second or a trade up into the first.

The other part of this is that we are devoid of playmakers at the receiver position. I think, if they could trade down and get OJ then trade back up into the first and grab one of the top QBs.

If they can't trade down just suck it up and grab a QB and get a TE in the second.

Washington

Liked Posts:
Not the Bears but a similar topic, I fucking hate the fact the Packers signed Bennett and Lance Kendricks giving Rodgers the best TE combo he's ever had.

I still would never use the 3rd pick on a TE. I'm taking a flier @3 with Watson or Trubisky over a TE.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Not the Bears but a similar topic, I fucking hate the fact the Packers signed Bennett and Lance Kendricks giving Rodgers the best TE combo he's ever had.

I still would never use the 3rd pick on a TE. I'm taking a flier #3 with Watson and Trubisky over a TE.

I can almost guarantee the Bears will not take a TE at 3......

Wild_x_Card

Liked Posts:
For some perspective on how good a prospect Howard is.

[video=youtube_share;OlYbWrNF-9Q]https://youtu.be/OlYbWrNF-9Q[/video]

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My guess is the Bears are going DB at 3.

They were a secondary away from a really good defense and winning 2-3 more games last season. Indy, Jax, SF can pretty squarely be put on the secondary.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
My guess is the Bears are going DB at 3.

They were a secondary away from a really good defense and winning 2-3 more games last season. Indy, Jax, SF can pretty squarely be put on the secondary.

I think they go Trubisky if he is there

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Why not at #3?

With all the question marks around the top prospects and the fact that the Bears need difference makers...why does the position matter?

You know what's going to happen? I can see it now. O.J Howard probably falls to the 7-12 range of the draft and guess what? It won't matter which team selects him, everyone will say what a great pick it is.

You know why? Because he should have gone earlier.

Because all positions are not valued equally in the NFL. And you can get certain positions later in the draft. QB and LT will go high (when they are there).

C and Guard and FB and K? Later

TE - first round, yes. Sometimes. Top 3? No way.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Because all positions are not valued equally in the NFL. And you can get certain positions later in the draft. QB and LT will go high (when they are there).

C and Guard and FB and K? Later

TE - first round, yes. Sometimes. Top 3? No way.

My guess is positional value largely is determined team to team.

NO has always invested more resources into their interior line than their tackles and NE has always invested more in their TEs than their WR core.

I agree that some positions have more value, but that is usually because guys that play them are more rare. LTs are frequently rare size/athletic ability players. Meaning that the pool of them is smaller and demands is greater leading to higher picks.

So conceivably you could have a unique enough athlete at TE to be worth a very high pick.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
I can almost guarantee the Bears will not take a TE at 3......

Correct. Perfect trade down candidate in the late first for him but no one is trading up (maybe Washington if they trade with SF for cousins) in such a deep draft

Bear Pride

Bears Gonna Shock the World!
Liked Posts:
Anyone that thinks the Bears will draft Howard at #3 is a freakin idiot, imo. I love love him as a player, but LOL at #3!

Broc

well baked
Donator
Liked Posts:
So conceivably you could have a unique enough athlete at TE to be worth a very high pick.

You mean like Vernon Davis who also tested thru the roof at the combine, got overhyped, and was drafted with the 6th pick (highest ever for a TE) by San Fran. Davis has been a decent roleplayer but clearly is not a guy you would waste a 6th pick on in hindsight. Using the 3rd pick on any TE is insanity. Hell Tony Gonzalez was drafted 13th.

I could understand Pace going BPA and taking his top rated CB/S or hell even Fournette if he plans on trading back up for a QB or taking one in the 2nd... but TE at #3 is a tough sell. Howard would basically need to end up becoming a HOF player for it to be worth taking him at 3. Are you willing to wager your career on that if you're Pace? I don't think so. Pace needs this draft to be a top to bottom homerun or he's done. Reaching for a TE at 3 might be the dumbest move he could possibly make so I'm sure that's what he'll do just to spite me.

PolarBear

Liked Posts:
You mean like Vernon Davis who also tested thru the roof at the combine, got overhyped, and was drafted with the 6th pick (highest ever for a TE) by San Fran. Davis has been a decent roleplayer but clearly is not a guy you would waste a 6th pick on in hindsight. Using the 3rd pick on any TE is insanity. Hell Tony Gonzalez was drafted 13th.

I could understand Pace going BPA and taking his top rated CB/S or hell even Fournette if he plans on trading back up for a QB or taking one in the 2nd... but TE at #3 is a tough sell. Howard would basically need to end up becoming a HOF player for it to be worth taking him at 3. Are you willing to wager your career on that if you're Pace? I don't think so. Pace needs this draft to be a top to bottom homerun or he's done. Reaching for a TE at 3 might be the dumbest move he could possibly make so I'm sure that's what he'll do just to spite me.

The fact that you would be happier with Pace drafting Leonard Fournette than O.J Howard pretty much solidifies that you have no idea what you are talking about.