Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
so the Bears are only going to have game managers from now on......they can't draft a high potential guy......why even have WRs.....lets just do the wishbone then....
Well since you are taking a developmental TE at #3 where do you propose they draft the high potential QB? Pace should draft the entire "looks good getting off the bus" team.

PolarBear

Liked Posts:
I should point out that if this is a situation more if the Bears feel they want to go somewhere else other than a QB. Mitch Trubisky is my #2 guy on the board after Garrett.

Pace has called Mike Glennon his starting QB, maybe Fox really liked Peterman at the Senior Bowl.

If they don't go with a QB though (IMO they are not), I am saying that O.J Howard needs to be considered.

People enamoured with college production obviously have a bad memory or simply haven't learnt yet that college production a lot of the time means sweet f*#k all.

PolarBear

Liked Posts:
Well since you are taking a developmental TE at #3 where do you propose they draft the high potential QB? Pace should draft the entire "looks good getting off the bus" team.

Far from a developmental TE. Get out of here. His athleticism alone gets him on the field working deep routes and causing havoc.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:

He is not a redshirt TE......he would start day 1 at TE......I have said I don't think going past round 2 on a QB is a good idea

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Well then please explain, beyond him looking good and running fast in spandex, what do you believe makes him worth the #3 pick? Cuz some draftnik said so?
And as for hashed out, meaning you ignore it makes it no less valid.

Did you even watch the national championship game? I mean I'm not sure you've ever watched him play a down. When they get him the ball he's simply a dominant player. I don't know how you could say anything else frankly.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
I should point out that if this is a situation more if the Bears feel they want to go somewhere else other than a QB. Mitch Trubisky is my #2 guy on the board after Garrett.

Pace has called Mike Glennon his starting QB, maybe Fox really liked Peterman at the Senior Bowl.

If they don't go with a QB though (IMO they are not), I am saying that O.J Howard needs to be considered.

People enamoured with college production obviously have a bad memory or simply haven't learnt yet that college production a lot of the time means sweet f*#k all.
True college production is not a guarantee of pro production, but lack of college production is a more reliable indicator of pro potential. Someone mentioned Jimmy Graham earlier, but his was a unique situation where he played only 1 season of college football. I care too little to try and find a statistically significant data set on low college production vs pro production and it may not exist as most of those guys never get drafted, but even anecdotally, there are not a lot of guys that where average in college and exploded in the pros.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Anyone drafting him at #3 should not be around when pick #36 rolls around.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Did you even watch the national championship game? I mean I'm not sure you've ever watched him play a down. When they get him the ball he's simply a dominant player. I don't know how you could say anything else frankly.
He scored on a 68 yard busted coverage lob pass and had 3 more total catches for 38 yards. Far from dominant. Leggett had 7 for 95 and a clutch game saver late. Howard wasn't even the best TE in that game. This season in 10 of 15 games he had 3 or less catches, 12 of 15 60 yards or less. The question is have you seen anything other than the NC games the last 2 years? He is far from dominant.

Yeah, yeah, I know, Nick Saban, underutilized, bad coaching, blah, blah.

Liked Posts:
I want Watson, Mike Williams or OJ Howard.

Bears need an impact offensive player. Next years QB class is loaded so if you draft Watson this year, you definitely wont be taking 1 next year.

PolarBear

Liked Posts:
Well I am sorry but if you are getting the targets and not producing but that is one thing.

But the ball was not thrown in his direction often at all at Alabama. Between the running game and the conservative nature of the passing game especially this past season at Bama, there was no room for him to put up big numbers.

PolarBear

Liked Posts:
Howard is going to do his damage down the field like Graham, Gronk and Gates do.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Yawn yawn zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Every single person knows that QB is the most important position but some just realize that you don't reach for one just to say you tried like "some" of you keep suggesting they do in your own little ways. You don't reach for any position especially a QB and especially when you don't have the playmakers needed on offense to throw a young QB in with.

I'm so happy none of you computer GM's are the Bears GM and we have a good young GM that will make the decisions he thinks are right for this team while under construction. If Pace thinks the right QB is sitting there at #3 then he'll draft him and if he doesn't then he won't and will hopefully find one in another round. I'm choosing to back whatever decision our GM makes and hope he gets it right.

Why type all that when your entire mindset was summed up in your last sentence? You're a Pace slurper and can't think for yourself.

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
He scored on a 68 yard busted coverage lob pass and had 3 more total catches for 38 yards. Far from dominant. Leggett had 7 for 95 and a clutch game saver late. Howard wasn't even the best TE in that game. This season in 10 of 15 games he had 3 or less catches, 12 of 15 60 yards or less. The question is have you seen anything other than the NC games the last 2 years? He is far from dominant.

Yeah, yeah, I know, Nick Saban, underutilized, bad coaching, blah, blah.

We're just gonna have to disagree on this one. And you're going to have to disagree with pretty much every scout/analysis in the country to. But I know, you're right and everyone else is wrong. Saban is full of shit too.

Broc

well baked
Donator
Liked Posts:
The Bears would get more value drafting Fournette than they would this fucking guy. If and when J.Howard get injured this team goes from 4-12 to 0-16.

Glennon is a stiff bum who will be abused off the edges since we also have no talent at the OT positions. The WR core is a sad joke. The only thing the Bears will have any semblance of success doing this season is running the ball so if they're not going to take a QB at #3 then taking Fournette makes much more sense than reaching about 20 some picks too early for a fucking TE that might see 3 passes a game if we're lucky.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
We're just gonna have to disagree on this one. And you're going to have to disagree with pretty much every scout/analysis in the country to. But I know, you're right and everyone else is wrong. Saban is full of shit too.
I have no problem having my own opinion. Falcons GM Dimitroff said statistically as of last year only 56% of recent 1st rounders start for their team, let alone star, so forgive me if I disagree with a flipping quarter.

And as for you taking Saban at face value saying he underused Howard and it was bad coaching after the 2016 NC game and then him repeating the same utility of Howard the following season, come on.
Do you have no reasoning skills?
Do you not understand a coach that recruits HS players has to stick up for each and every one of them and is recruiting with every single interview?

You actually believe smug ass cocky, Saban was calling himself a bad coach? Seriously?

Wild_x_Card

Liked Posts:
What is more likely, the best college coach of the last half century couldn't figure out that he had a guy that could help him win games and just ignored him for 4 years or that that player was just not as good a football player as his measurables would suggest?

The statement cited by Ba Ba with Saban saying he under used him is sorta funny. He said that after winning the NC game when Howard caught his first 2 TD's in 21 games. He then went on to average 3 catches per game and 3 total TD's in 15 games this season. Saban must have Alzheimer's to have forgotten about him over the summer.
In reality, it's more on the limitations of the QBs they had then it was on Saban himself. I'm not avocating for the pick but he is without question a superior prospect than his numbers would suggest. He's extremely well rounded and a very good route runner.

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I have no problem having my own opinion. Falcons GM Dimitroff said statistically as of last year only 56% of recent 1st rounders start for their team, let alone star, so forgive me if I disagree with a flipping quarter.

And as for you taking Saban at face value saying he underused Howard and it was bad coaching after the 2016 NC game and then him repeating the same utility of Howard the following season, come on.
Do you have no reasoning skills?
Do you not understand a coach that recruits HS players has to stick up for each and every one of them and is recruiting with every single interview?

You actually believe smug ass cocky, Saban was calling himself a bad coach? Seriously?

Call me in 3 years and we'll see who's right. You're not changing my opinion and I'm not changing yours.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
In reality, it's more on the limitations of the QBs they had then it was on Saban himself. I'm not avocating for the pick but he is without question a superior prospect than his numbers would suggest. He's extremely well rounded and a very good route runner.
I agree he is a better prospect than his production shows, if he weren't he would be being discussed as a 2 - 4th rounder, along with Sprinkle, Leggett, and Engram. My point is I don't see him in the #3 type stratosphere when he was not able to elevate his middling QB as you would expect the #3 to do. At #3, I want one of the high value positions QB,OT,DE or a guy at a lesser position that stood out and elevated those around you, not a guy that plays at a mid value position that had average production but has potential.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Howard would not be my first choice, but I would rate over it.

The guy has incredible tools to work with

I just won't dismiss it because he plays TE when we are also talking about taking a S at 3, a position that has never been picked at 3.

That being said it would make more sense to finally end the shit show at QB or S a little more.