O.J Howard at #3?

satchice

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
You realize that no matter now well you think Pace is managing the roster, they will never be successful without a QB. They're finally picking at a spot where they can get any they like, but you say it's too high for them.

And if these improvements you and dabears70 speak about cause the team be to drafting in the 9-16 range again and Darnold, Rosen and Falk are all gone, the QB detractors will be saying "You don't waste a first round pick on the 4th best QB in the draft - there's better value at other positions." I guarantee it.

More likely what will happen is Rosen will have a few bad games and people will question his accuracy, Falk is in a Air Raid system and those guys just don't turn into NFL QBs, and Darnold is going #1 overall and is worth mortgaging our future to trade up for.. Also, the experts are saying the 2019 class has the 2 prospect better then Luck.

zabavka

The owls are not what they seem...
Liked Posts:
Watson or Trubisky is too high at 3 but Howard isn't?

Wow this board has reached full Special person status and you know what they say...

Don't ever go full Special person

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
6'6, 250 pounds with a 4.51 dash time, a 6.85 3-cone drill and a 4.16 20 yard shuttle.

To put the 3-cone time into perspective, he ran it faster than guys like Quincy Wilson, Fabian Moreau and Tredavious White. He beat some of the top CB's in this draft at a drill that is typically a measurement of a player's change of direction ability.
Not saying that he is bad, but he wasn't the fastest, strongest, longest broad jump nor had the highest vertical (vertical was disappointing actually) TE.

So are you saying that the top 3 spots in the draft should be TEs? :p

Broc

well baked
Donator
Liked Posts:
What on earth are you talking about? The Bears were never a 'joke' under Lovie Smith. And really, under Trestman/Emery, they were only a joke the 2nd season. Pace has overpaid for NUMEROUS free agents already. Just look at this year's signings. His 2015 offseason was almost a complete wash already. He is 'financial flexible' because he doesn't keep guys like Jeffery, doesn't go after Stephen Gilmore, and has no money invested in offensive skill positions. The only reason the Bears are being compared to the Browns is BECAUSE of Ryan Pace....top 10 busts, no established QB, annual last place finishes.

Unreal.

Hilarious isn't it. I'd love to try whatever dabears70 and Enasic are smoking, it's clearly some good shit.

I just love how in their world of delusion and revisionist history the Bears were a "joke" under Smith (81-63 record with Bears, made playoffs in 2nd year, and eventual SB appearance) but yet somehow Pace "had done a fine job" after starting 9-23 the first 2 years of a supposed "rebuild" that hasn't yet actually rebuilt anything.

It's a passing league and yet somehow we have literally no talent at QB, WR, OT. I didn't think it was possible to get worse at QB after cutting Cutler but Pace has done the impossible signing a scrub backup who's attempted 11 passes in the past 2 years to be our starter. Fucking amazing. We get rid of actually talented players like Marshall, Bennett, and AJ replacing them with chronically injured nobodies and "value" FA scrubs yet these morons want to act like Pace is rebuilding some amazing foundation of talent.

Defensively we gone from being #1 in 2012 (Lovie's last year) forcing 44 turnovers to dead last in the league last year forcing a pathetic 11. #3 overall Defense in points allowed in Lovie's last year to 24th last year... and yet somehow Lovie is regarded as the joke here, not Pace & Fox. Gotta love it. No impact players at any level of the defense but again, we're supposed to be filled with optimism because he's "rebuilt" the defense with "value" FA role players like Trevathan and his 1 sack.

I wish I could find the gif I saw on reddit a while back of this construction crew doing road work where one guy is digging out a hole while his co-worker shovels the dirt the 1st guy is digging out right back into the hole because it's perfectly captures the Bears under Pace's leadership. Barring some draft day miracle involving Pace actually drafting a guy like Watson this team is going to continue treading water going absolutely no where as one of the irrelevant teams in the NFL. My pre-draft guess is another limp dick 4-12 waste of everyone's time season.

Last edited:

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
He was completely misussed in thier offense and when they did give him an opportunity, he cashed in. He was the biggest play threat they had and used him more often as an inline blocker and check down option. Mind numbing really, for the so called best coach in College Ball.
What is more likely, the best college coach of the last half century couldn't figure out that he had a guy that could help him win games and just ignored him for 4 years or that that player was just not as good a football player as his measurables would suggest?

The statement cited by Ba Ba with Saban saying he under used him is sorta funny. He said that after winning the NC game when Howard caught his first 2 TD's in 21 games. He then went on to average 3 catches per game and 3 total TD's in 15 games this season. Saban must have Alzheimer's to have forgotten about him over the summer.

Last edited:

baredown

Liked Posts:
8300 threads & half a zillion posts on what Pace will likely do at #3, essentially based on what the individual poster(s) think Pace should do with #3. But not a lot about what Pace is likely to do based on his drafting philosophy & track record. Pace has always maintained he has a Best Value Available (BVA) philosophy about the draft. BVA is not as simple as saying BPA. There's positional value involved, which sort of dampens the probability of taking a TE in the top 10. There's also risk/reward. Pace has shown that he'll take the risk on high potential players (see White, Floyd), if he thinks they might become difference makers. Finally, Pace's two drafts clearly show a 'build out from the trenches' bias. White is his only day 1 or day 2 draftee so far that doesn't fall into into 'win it in the trenches' category.

Like everyone else posting here, I have zero clue what the Bears draft board looks like. But using Mayock's & Jeremiah's player rankings (not gold, but a damn sight better than anyone posting here...), I'd guess Pace's board looks like:

1] Garrett
2] Thomas
3] Allen
4] Lattimore
5] Hooker
6] Adams

All defense. QBs simply aren't good enough. No OL of high value. Positional value of RBs or TEs isn't high enough. So no Howard at #3.

Broc

well baked
Donator
Liked Posts:
Pace signed a bunch of guys that no other NFL team really wanted, yet with the Bears nearly every new FA is projected to be a starter. Frightening prospect for 2017.

You just aren't privy to Pace's 15-year rebuild plan bro. Don't be such a hater. Just wait till you see how this team looks when he finally drafts a QB in 2024! All these shrew FA scrub signings will finally make sense!

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Nobody is going to trade up for a 5tech or safety, get real! What are these teams trading up for???

No one has ever traded up for a 5 tech or safety?

I am not going to do the research on this, but I'll just assume you are wrong.

westcoast bear fanatic

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Did you see the national championship game? The one where he went for 208 yards? When they actually threw to him he dominated.

Yes, but the OP's justification was his measurable​s and how he did at the Combine. Besides a TE at #3 on this fucked up team is an abomination.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Yes, but the OP's justification was his measurable​s and how he did at the Combine. Besides a TE at #3 on this fucked up team is an abomination.

I think it totally depends if he is going to be the center piece of your passing game.

If he is going to be a compliment to a #1 WR then I agree it may be over kill.

But if you commit to using him like Gronk or Kelce then I do not think that the value is as out of wack.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
You realize that no matter now well you think Pace is managing the roster, they will never be successful without a QB. They're finally picking at a spot where they can get any they like, but you say it's too high for them.

And if these improvements you and dabears70 speak about cause the team be to drafting in the 9-16 range again and Darnold, Rosen and Falk are all gone, the QB detractors will be saying "You don't waste a first round pick on the 4th best QB in the draft - there's better value at other positions." I guarantee it.

Yawn yawn zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Every single person knows that QB is the most important position but some just realize that you don't reach for one just to say you tried like "some" of you keep suggesting they do in your own little ways. You don't reach for any position especially a QB and especially when you don't have the playmakers needed on offense to throw a young QB in with.

I'm so happy none of you computer GM's are the Bears GM and we have a good young GM that will make the decisions he thinks are right for this team while under construction. If Pace thinks the right QB is sitting there at #3 then he'll draft him and if he doesn't then he won't and will hopefully find one in another round. I'm choosing to back whatever decision our GM makes and hope he gets it right.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
You are surprised he released Cutler and signed a QB to start while (hopefully) drafting a QB to sit and learn?

You are surprised he signed a WR, CB, S, TE?

What is so surprising?

Some people are just morons and don't understand how a rebuild works which is shocking cause those same people act like they know so much about the game but can't even figure out how a rebuild works....GEESH. :smh:

satchice

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
No one has ever traded up for a 5 tech or safety?

I am not going to do the research on this, but I'll just assume you are wrong.
not in the top 3

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Hilarious isn't it. I'd love to try whatever dabears70 and Enasic are smoking, it's clearly some good shit.

I just love how in their world of delusion and revisionist history the Bears were a "joke" under Smith (81-63 record with Bears, made playoffs in 2nd year, and eventual SB appearance) but yet somehow Pace "had done a fine job" after starting 9-23 the first 2 years of a supposed "rebuild" that hasn't yet actually rebuilt anything.

It's a passing league and yet somehow we have literally no talent at QB, WR, OT. I didn't think it was possible to get worse at QB after cutting Cutler but Pace has done the impossible signing a scrub backup who's attempted 11 passes in the past 2 years to be our starter. Fucking amazing. We get rid of actually talented players like Marshall, Bennett, and AJ replacing them with chronically injured nobodies and "value" FA scrubs yet these morons want to act like Pace is rebuilding some amazing foundation of talent.

Defensively we gone from being #1 in 2012 (Lovie's last year) forcing 44 turnovers to dead last in the league last year forcing a pathetic 11. #3 overall Defense in points allowed in Lovie's last year to 24th last year... and yet somehow Lovie is regarded as the joke here, not Pace & Fox. Gotta love it. No impact players at any level of the defense but again, we're supposed to be filled with optimism because he's "rebuilt" the defense with "value" FA role players like Trevathan and his 1 sack.

I wish I could find the gif I saw on reddit a while back of this construction crew doing road work where one guy is digging out a hole while his co-worker shovels the dirt the 1st guy is digging out right back into the hole because it's perfectly captures the Bears under Pace's leadership. Barring some draft day miracle involving Pace actually drafting a guy like Watson this team is going to continue treading water going absolutely no where as one of the irrelevant teams in the NFL. My pre-draft guess is another limp dick 4-12 waste of everyone's time season.

You're way too young to even think about smoking anything, now go back to your cartoons little guy...lol

Broc

well baked
Donator
Liked Posts:
But if you commit to using him like Gronk or Kelce then I do not think that the value is as out of wack.

Dude. It makes literally ZERO sense no matter how much lip service the coaching staff gives to their commitment to using a TE.

If Pace drafts a fucking TE at #3 I will rip my dick off. Seriously. What are you people smoking?!? I feel like I'm taking crazy pills.

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Dude. It makes literally ZERO sense no matter how much lip service the coaching staff gives to their commitment to using a TE.

If Pace drafts a fucking TE at #3 I will rip my dick off. Seriously. What are you people smoking?!? I feel like I'm taking crazy pills.

Why?

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
The draft can't come soon enough so we can be done with all the weird permutations of players.

At this point, I'm waiting for someone to advocate we take the best special teams cover guy with the 3rd pick. If that is the case then I'm saying Mack Hollins at 3. Best gunner plus he can play a little WR. Added bonus that we can then get rid of Bellamy.

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/mack-hollins?id=2558262

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
The draft can't come soon enough so we can be done with all the weird permutations of players.

At this point, I'm waiting for someone to advocate we take the best special teams cover guy with the 3rd pick. If that is the case then I'm saying Mack Hollins at 3. Best gunner plus he can play a little WR. Added bonus that we can then get rid of Bellamy.

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/mack-hollins?id=2558262

Have you seen Adams play special teams? Dude is balls out blocking on returns. Emery would have him as a "blue level" player for sure. :lol:

Broc

well baked
Donator
Liked Posts:
You're way too young to even think about smoking anything, now go back to your cartoons little guy...lol

Brilliant rebuttal moron. Try again with something a little better than a lame joke about my age. How old are you anyways? I'm betting 15. Maybe 16.