O.J Howard at #3?

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
I really like Howard in the first if they don't take a QB. I would prefer they trade back a few spots if they could, but I wouldn't lose my shit if they took him at 3. He is a serious playmaker and the Bears need one.

I think he is a sure thing and will wreck the middle of the field.

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
OJ Howard would be a huge reach at 3. I'm not sure how he is getting all this hype. He has prototypical size and speed, but his college production was lacking. He never took over games or was, as you would expect, that guy that was going to get the ball in the red zone even though everyone knew it and was just unstoppable. I knew he was never really a game changer, but when I looked it up even I was surprised that he had 7 career TD's , 7!!
He is a looks like Tarzan plays like Jane TE.

You really don't know what you're talking about. Nick Saban admittedly said it was bad coaching on his part to not use him.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
I really like Howard in the first if they don't take a QB. I would prefer they trade back a few spots if they could, but I wouldn't lose my shit if they took him at 3. He is a serious playmaker and the Bears need one.

I think he is a sure thing and will wreck the middle of the field.
He went 20 straight games, the entire 2014 and 2015 seasons without a single TD until the NC game in 2016, he is far from a playmaker.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
You really don't know what you're talking about. Nick Saban admittedly said it was bad coaching on his part to not use him.
Yeah Saban just forgot about a transcendent talent. That is way more likely than he just didn't play like he looks and Saban is sticking up for the kid. I have seen enough Bama games to know what this kid will be.Howard at 3 would be Ced Benson bad.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
He went 20 straight games, the entire 2014 and 2015 seasons without a single TD until the NC game in 2016, he is far from a playmaker.

We can agree to disagree. I think he will be the next great tight end.

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Yeah Saban just forgot about a transcendent talent. That is way more likely than he just didn't play like he looks and Saban is sticking up for the kid. I have seen enough Bama games to know what this kid will be.Howard at 3 would be Ced Benson bad.

They're talking about this being one of the best TE classes ever. And everyone has the kid at #1. Did ya ever stop to think there's a reason why?

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Before the combine I thought he was a borderline 1st rounder. Now I think he's a mid 1st rounder. BTW, McShay has him going #4 in his new mock draft.

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
They're talking about this being one of the best TE classes ever. And everyone has the kid at #1. Did ya ever stop to think there's a reason why?

Njoku will be better.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
We can agree to disagree. I think he will be the next great tight end.
Sure. I don't see it. His production doesn't warrant the 3rd overall and personally think he may end up being the 2nd and maybe 3rd best TE in this class. Butt, Sprinkle,Engram,Njoku all have a chance at being better.

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Sure. I don't see it. His production doesn't warrant the 3rd overall and personally think he may end up being the 2nd and maybe 3rd best TE in this class. Butt, Sprinkle,Engram,Njoku all have a chance at being better.

Scouting production in college is dangerous. Just look at Floyd last year. Everyone was complaining about his lack of sacks in college. Most people seem pretty happy with him now.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
No, I go by what I saw and what I think. I would question why a kid that averaged 3 catches a game and 1 TD every 5 and a half games over his JR and Sr year would be considered at the #3 spot. Is it because he went to Bama? He has ideal ht and speed? I have no idea, and the idea that the the best college coach of the last 50 yrs just forgot he had such a game altering talent is laughable. He may end up above average but nothing he has done warrants the risk at #3.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
So why is everyone OK with a safety at 3? They never go that high either.

Would a healthy Gronk be worthy of the 3rd pick?

I'm not for a te at three but to further your point safeties also have a huge hit and miss health wise. Many don't last long cause of injuries. If the TE is a stud could likely get more use out of them

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Scouting production in college is dangerous. Just look at Floyd last year. Everyone was complaining about his lack of sacks in college. Most people seem pretty happy with him now.
True, but with Floyd you saw amazing plays, but feared the lack of size would affect his abilities at the next level. I never saw a game where Howard did something that just turned things around or wowed me in any way. I just don't see it. I never saw Howard make a play like Legget's catch late in the NC game. Over 4 years shouldnt a great player have at least 1 of those?

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
No, I go by what I saw and what I think. I would question why a kid that averaged 3 catches a game and 1 TD every 5 and a half games over his JR and Sr year would be considered at the #3 spot. Is it because he went to Bama? He has ideal ht and speed? I have no idea, and the idea that the the best college coach of the last 50 yrs just forgot he had such a game altering talent is laughable. He may end up above average but nothing he has done warrants the risk at #3.

"I would say it's bad coaching on my part that he didn't have the opportunity to do that all year long, because he is really a good athlete, and he's improved tremendously as a player this year."

Nick Saban

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
"I would say it's bad coaching on my part that he didn't have the opportunity to do that all year long, because he is really a good athlete, and he's improved tremendously as a player this year."

Nick Saban
And Dabo Sweeney compared Watson to MJ. BFD Actions speak louder than words. Saban never featured Howard esp in the redzone, why do you think that is? I don't know but it is a concern if I an thinking of him in the top 5. Don't you think a 6'6" athletic TE should have more TD's than 2 as a JR and 3 as a SR?

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
It just seems kind of like a 'waste' to me to spend the #3 overall pick on a TE...the Bears got Olsen at the end of the 1st round, the Pats got Gronk in the 2nd round...you can find TEs later in the draft. I envision the #3 pick being used for QB/Pass rusher.

I think its questionable to be fine with selecting a TE at #3, and then hoping one of the elite QB prospects falls to you at #36. I would think the opposite would be more realistic...draft the QB at #3 and hope the top TE prospect falls to you at #36.

I've already said I'd pick a QB at 3 in this thread. That's what I want to happen. This is just a hypothetical what would you do if Pace doesn't go QB question.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
It just seems kind of like a 'waste' to me to spend the #3 overall pick on a TE...the Bears got Olsen at the end of the 1st round, the Pats got Gronk in the 2nd round...you can find TEs later in the draft. I envision the #3 pick being used for QB/Pass rusher.

I think its questionable to be fine with selecting a TE at #3, and then hoping one of the elite QB prospects falls to you at #36. I would think the opposite would be more realistic...draft the QB at #3 and hope the top TE prospect falls to you at #36.

I would prefer they get the best available QB at 3. The selection obviously depends on how the Bears (and the rest of the NFL) feel about the QBs. If the Bears feel they can get just as good or comparable TE in the second then they should go QB. If they feel the top 3 QBs are projects and equal potential they could get one in the second or trade up into the first.

The offense is in desperate need of playmakers. I think OJ could be the first receiver chosen in the first round. I don't think the next TE will be as good as OJ.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
I would prefer they get the best available QB at 3. The selection obviously depends on how the Bears (and the rest of the NFL) feel about the QBs. If the Bears feel they can get just as good or comparable TE in the second then they should go QB. If they feel the top 3 QBs are projects and equal potential they could get one in the second or trade up into the first.

The offense is in desperate need of playmakers. I think OJ could be the first receiver chosen in the first round. I don't think the next TE will be as good as OJ.
Honest question.

What makes you feel that way about him? Nothing he did in college was spectacular in any way, #'s, game changers, rising to a moment. Other than his measurables I don't see the attraction? Just curious.