O.J Howard at #3?

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Honest question.

What makes you feel that way about him? Nothing he did in college was spectacular in any way, #'s, game changers, rising to a moment. Other than his measurables I don't see the attraction? Just curious.

What primarily brought his attention to me was watching a few Alabama games and seeing him play but seemingly get underused. When I did see him do something he moved and played a lot like Jimmy Graham. You might remember Jimmy Graham not having much in the way of college football stats as well.

After doing a little more digging many people have great things to say about him and I have bought into the hype on draftniks and what I saw......I think he will stretch the living shit out of the middle of the field and cause ridiculous matchup problems.

Broc

well baked
Donator
Liked Posts:
The result is after several years of picking high in the draft, you have a team that is completely devoid of talent at QB/WR/TE, and has issues at OT and pass rusher. Perhaps this could be overcome in 1932 with a Wing-T offense, but in 2017 NFL its more difficult to be anything other than a 3-13 team.

slow-clap-gif-6.gif

I'd thank this post twice if I could. The fact that Pace has any support at all on this board blows my mind.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I have no issue with O.J Howard at 3.

I know the positional value argument is valid, but the same argument can be made for safety and 5 technique.

He is an elite athlete and has incredible size for the position and if he is going to be Gronk then pull the trigger.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
It just seems kind of like a 'waste' to me to spend the #3 overall pick on a TE...the Bears got Olsen at the end of the 1st round, the Pats got Gronk in the 2nd round...you can find TEs later in the draft. I envision the #3 pick being used for QB/Pass rusher.

I think its questionable to be fine with selecting a TE at #3, and then hoping one of the elite QB prospects falls to you at #36. I would think the opposite would be more realistic...draft the QB at #3 and hope the top TE prospect falls to you at #36.

But that is the question.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
I know this is a highlight film but he looks like the next Jimmy Graham

[video=youtube;ztXxH5bRgCk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztXxH5bRgCk[/video]

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
Definitely very high on OJ but I think Pace is going to try his hardest to trade down. I don't see OJ going top 5, and maybe not even top 10. Either way, while he's a relatively safe pick/high upside player, this draft is loaded at TE. I would guess because Pace hasn't addressed the DL, he's thinking Allen/Thomas or maybe even Barnett. Either way, I think he's looking for pass rush and there should be some legit options there. Thomas could potentially be the best player in the draft, and while Allen isn't a sexy pick, he solidifies the DL and pushes them to an elite level. Then again, if Howard is the pick at #3, I'd roll with it. He should be a really good player.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
I have no issue with O.J Howard at 3.

I know the positional value argument is valid, but the same argument can be made for safety and 5 technique.

He is an elite athlete and has incredible size for the position and if he is going to be Gronk then pull the trigger.
So is Kellen Davis. Drafting based purely on potential vs production is extremely dangerous.

Ditka19861

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Honest question.

What makes you feel that way about him? Nothing he did in college was spectacular in any way, #'s, game changers, rising to a moment. Other than his measurables I don't see the attraction? Just curious.

I've seen people make the same argument for Myles Garrett. I think the real reason people want him on the team is his last name... if we could get a team full of Howards, that would be great.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
So is Kellen Davis. Drafting based purely on potential vs production is extremely dangerous.

It is also dangerous to focus too much on production when that can be influenced by so many factors.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Definitely very high on OJ but I think Pace is going to try his hardest to trade down. I don't see OJ going top 5, and maybe not even top 10. Either way, while he's a relatively safe pick/high upside player, this draft is loaded at TE. I would guess because Pace hasn't addressed the DL, he's thinking Allen/Thomas or maybe even Barnett. Either way, I think he's looking for pass rush and there should be some legit options there. Thomas could potentially be the best player in the draft, and while Allen isn't a sexy pick, he solidifies the DL and pushes them to an elite level. Then again, if Howard is the pick at #3, I'd roll with it. He should be a really good player.

The best thing I can say about this draft is I don't know what the fuck Pace is going to...that is also the worst thing....

I hope he grabs a QB early, but if he doesn't the offense is in desperate need a someone who can make a play....I think OJ is that guy. He can be had below the 3rd pick so if the Bears can trade down to 8 to 10 to grab him I would like it there....

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
The best thing I can say about this draft is I don't know what the fuck Pace is going to...that is also the worst thing....

I hope he grabs a QB early, but if he doesn't the offense is in desperate need a someone who can make a play....I think OJ is that guy. He can be had below the 3rd pick so if the Bears can trade down to 8 to 10 to grab him I would like it there....

I think Pace would love to trade down in this draft. Not sure he gets that offer though.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:

Kellen Davis wasn't quite the athlete OJ Howard is.

Davis was a lazy turd in college as well. OJ Howard, from what I understand, works his ass off.

I am on board the OJ train.......but what the fuck do I know. I am just a fan.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think Pace would love to trade down in this draft. Not sure he gets that offer though.

someone will offer to trade up, just depends on what they offer...If you can get a couple teams fighting to trade up you can probably get value that you are looking for.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
It is also dangerous to focus too much on production when that can be influenced by so many factors.
Sure but at #3, I think you need both. If you are talking a mid 1st round pick, you start drafting that way, Kyle Long would be an argument for that, but in the top 5 you will have the choice of several elite productive defenders and at least 2 top rated QB's. I can't see drafting a TE that had average production at an elite program based soley on potential. Now if Pace drops back to 10-15, I could see him in play but not before then.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Kellen Davis wasn't quite the athlete OJ Howard is.

Davis was a lazy turd in college as well. OJ Howard, from what I understand, works his ass off.

I am on board the OJ train.......but what the fuck do I know. I am just a fan.
4.51 vs 4.6 30" vert vs 34" 121" broad jump vs 118" both 6'6" Davis 11 # heavier.

They were pretty close. Don't know about Howards work ethic, but agree Davis was trash. Howard mid 1 would be fine, just not at 3.

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
[video=youtube;OlYbWrNF-9Q]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlYbWrNF-9Q[/video]

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:

Pace can go a lot of different ways. And if he trades down, all bets are off. Depending how far he trades down, there could be a long list of possibilities. OJ being one of them. Best case scenario for me is if Garrett and Thomas go 1 and 2, and someone trades up to grab a QB. If the Bears could trade down to 6-8 while picking up a 2nd and mid round pick, I'd be very happy. They'd have a ton of good options there and with the additional 2nd round pick, can either trade back up into the 1st for a QB, or stay put and draft a QB in the 2nd.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
slow-clap-gif-6.gif

I'd thank this post twice if I could. The fact that Pace has any support at all on this board blows my mind.

L.Floyd
J.Howard
C.Whitehair
E.Goldman
J.Freeman
D.Trevathon
A.Hicks
J.Sitton
C.Meredith
N.Kwiatkoski
D.Hall

This is of course without the additions he's made so far this year in free agency and the draft which he'll add more young talent which should all help in their own ways but yeah i'll support that. R .Pace has done a fine job in just two years. Taking this team from one of the oldest in the league to one of the youngest in his first year on the job was exactly what we needed but now people still wanna cry cause they don't have the patience for a true rebuild to be done.