O.J Howard at #3?

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
Surprising in how terrible the signings were.

WR - Absolutely terrible. Both are unproductive and usually injured. The Bears currently have nothing at WR. The two FA WRs cost more than Alshon Jeffery did to the Eagles. I've watched a lot of Wheaton. He has the WR instincts of Devin Hester.

TE - Terrible. Overpaid for Sims, who is at best a nice TE2. Not sure what the plan is here...is Daniel Brown the starter? I'm fine with that, as he did great last year when he played, but that would make the Sims signing superfluous. Why so much money for Sims, who wasn't on any other NFL team's radar?

S - The only logical signing of the group. Demps was paid market value, and he should start.

CB - Terrible. Pace was 'all in' on Gilmore, then made such a bad offer that Gilmore felt the need to mention it AFTER he had signed with the Pats. The Bears have nothing at CB. Both guys Pace signed will be on their third team in 3 years.

QB - Not good. Overpaid.

I'm sorry...with the exception of Demps, where is the upgrade for a 3-13 team? Its probably a downgrade, as Glennon/Wheaton will not be as good as Cutler/Jeffery. Pace signed a bunch of guys that no other NFL team really wanted, yet with the Bears nearly every new FA is projected to be a starter. Frightening prospect for 2017.

It's really impossible to say that no one wanted any of those free agents. You are basically going off of a few tweets that they overpaid for Wheaton and Glennon. Really though, that's their opinion and not fact. At worse, you can say that Pace overpaid one year prove it deals. So what happens then? We have another horrible year and have loads of cap room and can also draft a franchise QB.

If you are worried about the size of these one year deals, ask yourself WHY?

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Dude. It makes literally ZERO sense no matter how much lip service the coaching staff gives to their commitment to using a TE.

If Pace drafts a fucking TE at #3 I will rip my dick off. Seriously. What are you people smoking?!? I feel like I'm taking crazy pills.

If you are going to target him 125 times what does it matter if he is a TE or WR?

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
Brilliant rebuttal moron. Try again with something a little better than a lame joke about my age. How old are you anyways? I'm betting 15. Maybe 16.

You don't think it's kinda strange to have cartoons in both your avatar and signature?

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Hilarious isn't it. I'd love to try whatever dabears70 and Enasic are smoking, it's clearly some good shit.

I just love how in their world of delusion and revisionist history the Bears were a "joke" under Smith (81-63 record with Bears, made playoffs in 2nd year, and eventual SB appearance) but yet somehow Pace "had done a fine job" after starting 9-23 the first 2 years of a supposed "rebuild" that hasn't yet actually rebuilt anything.

It's a passing league and yet somehow we have literally no talent at QB, WR, OT. I didn't think it was possible to get worse at QB after cutting Cutler but Pace has done the impossible signing a scrub backup who's attempted 11 passes in the past 2 years to be our starter. Fucking amazing. We get rid of actually talented players like Marshall, Bennett, and AJ replacing them with chronically injured nobodies and "value" FA scrubs yet these morons want to act like Pace is rebuilding some amazing foundation of talent.

Defensively we gone from being #1 in 2012 (Lovie's last year) forcing 44 turnovers to dead last in the league last year forcing a pathetic 11. #3 overall Defense in points allowed in Lovie's last year to 24th last year... and yet somehow Lovie is regarded as the joke here, not Pace & Fox. Gotta love it. No impact players at any level of the defense but again, we're supposed to be filled with optimism because he's "rebuilt" the defense with "value" FA role players like Trevathan and his 1 sack.

I wish I could find the gif I saw on reddit a while back of this construction crew doing road work where one guy is digging out a hole while his co-worker shovels the dirt the 1st guy is digging out right back into the hole because it's perfectly captures the Bears under Pace's leadership. Barring some draft day miracle involving Pace actually drafting a guy like Watson this team is going to continue treading water going absolutely no where as one of the irrelevant teams in the NFL. My pre-draft guess is another limp dick 4-12 waste of everyone's time season.

QFT. Under no circumstance should the Bears target a TE at #3. FFS people. With a top 5 pick, you take a QB, OT, or somebody who is going to get you sacks. Quit overthinking this situation.

Broc

well baked
Donator
Liked Posts:

Why? Because if you're going to take a fucking TE with the 3rd pick in the draft he better be the best TE in the history of the college football with freakish production.

And even then it's not worth it.

Chase Coffman was the most productive college TE of the BCS era with 2,659 yds, 30 TDs and was a 3rd round pick. 6 years in the league he has 176 yards and 2 TDs.

You can go down the list of TE's:

Jermaine Gresham = taken 21st overall.
Gronk = taken 42nd overall.
Health Miller = taken 30th overall.
Dallas Clark = taken 24th overall.
Jason Witten = taken 69th overall.
Greg Olsen = taken 31st overall.
Travis Kelce = taken 63rd overall.

Yet the meatballs would be fine with Pace taking this guy with the 3rd fucking pick because he looked good running around in spandex. Fucking brilliant!

When your team has no talent at QB, WR, or OT (not to mention the lack of talent on defense) and your GM wastes the #3 pick on a TE he should be dragged out into the street and beaten to death.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
If you are going to target him 125 times what does it matter if he is a TE or WR?
Where in good God do you get that # from? You are bringing in a QB that you hope to high heaven is an above average game manager, you have a RB that is top 5 and you have glaring needs at CB, S, QB, WR, just to start, and the idea is to bring in a guy with 114 catches and 7 TD's in 46 career games a little over 2 catches per game and 1 TD in every 6.5 games, and you draft him at 3 with the expectation he can become the focal point and face of the offense.

I don't know where tp even start with this.

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
You realize that no matter now well you think Pace is managing the roster, they will never be successful without a QB. They're finally picking at a spot where they can get any they like, but you say it's too high for them.

And if these improvements you and dabears70 speak about cause the team be to drafting in the 9-16 range again and Darnold, Rosen and Falk are all gone, the QB detractors will be saying "You don't waste a first round pick on the 4th best QB in the draft - there's better value at other positions." I guarantee it.

Of course I realize that. Do you think Pace is oblivious to that fact too? Lol....We'll see what happens in the draft. You can't rebuild a team, going from the oldest to one of the youngest, field an entire new defense, and add younger pieces on offense, and oh yeah....find a franchise QB in less than 3 seasons. The draft isn't even here yet. I'm speaking in terms of his overall approach which is the right approach, IMO. I think bumps in the road were always expected, but once the Bears are over that, I think they should be set up for sustained success. Much like the Cubs....something they haven't seen in forever. Or at least in my lifetime.

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Why? Because if you're going to take a fucking TE with the 3rd pick in the draft he better be the best TE in the history of the college football with freakish production.

Chase Coffman was the most productive college TE of the BCS era with 2,659 yds, 30 TDs and was a 3rd round pick. 6 years in the league he has 176 yards and 2 TDs.

Yet the meatballs would be fine with Pace taking this guy with the 3rd fucking pick because he looked good running around in spandex. Fucking brilliant!

When your team has no talent at QB, WR, or OT (not to mention the lack of talent on defense) and your GM wastes the #3 pick on a TE he should be dragged out into the street and beaten to death.

OK, for the record I'm with you on the QB. That's what I want. But say he really doesn't think those guys are any good.... who do you pick? There's no OT worth that pick. No WR. The DE everyone wants is pre-injured. Thomas might be an option if he fits the scheme. But I've seen him go #2 in some mocks. There are some safeties that look good but that position is never picked that high either. Gronk would have been 1st round pick except for injury. I know I'm arguing a hypothetical here since I really want a QB. But I just don;t get why everyone seems AOK with a Safety but a TE is just ridiculous. :shrug:

Broc

well baked
Donator
Liked Posts:
You don't think it's kinda strange to have cartoons in both your avatar and signature?

Rick and Morty is not made for kids and is fucking hilarious. I don't see how it's any more strange than some of the other shit people use in their avatars and sigs.

Noonthirtyjoe

Liked Posts:

Would you draft Gronk at 3? if you knew what he would be.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
OK, for the record I'm with you on the want. But say he really doesn't think those guys are any good.... who do you pick? There's no OT worth that pick. No WR. The DE everyone wants is pre-injured. Thomas might be an option if he fits the scheme. But I've seen him go #2 in some mocks. There are some safeties that look good but that position is never picked that high either. Gronk would have been 1st round pick except for injury. I know I'm arguing a hypothetical here since I really want a QB. But I just don;t get why everyone seems AOK with a Safety but a TE is just ridiculous. :shrug:

I think it's because a TE is one of those positions where you reap the benefits of a good one with a combination of coaching strategy and QB more so than with an elite safety.

I think people feel that Fox and Loggains will not utilize a guy like Howard well enough for the value to be there at 3.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
Rick and Morty is not made for kids and is fucking hilarious. I don't see how it's any more strange than some of the other shit people use in their avatars and sigs.

It's still weird. Hentai isn't made for kids either.

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I think it's because a TE is one of those positions where you reap the benefits of a good one with a combination of coaching strategy and QB more so than with an elite safety.

I think people feel that Fox and Loggains will not utilize a guy like Howard well enough for the value to be there at 3.

Well that's on Pace then to hire a better head coach. :pray:

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
OK, for the record I'm with you on the QB. That's what I want. But say he really doesn't think those guys are any good.... who do you pick? There's no OT worth that pick. No WR. The DE everyone wants is pre-injured. Thomas might be an option if he fits the scheme. But I've seen him go #2 in some mocks. There are some safeties that look good but that position is never picked that high either. Gronk would have been 1st round pick except for injury. I know I'm arguing a hypothetical here since I really want a QB. But I just don;t get why everyone seems AOK with a Safety but a TE is just ridiculous. :shrug:
If he had the same measurables and put up like 75 rec/800yrds and 8 TD's I don't think you would get a lot of argument, but fact is, in any year, he never had above even average production. Whatever or whomever you want to blame he still was nothing more than meh in college. Not what you expect at #3. Hooker and Adams look and played the part, and Adams is considered a great leader as well.

Broc

well baked
Donator
Liked Posts:
Would you draft Gronk at 3? if you knew what he would be.

Nope. I wouldn't take him at #3 given his resume coming out of college and wouldn't take him now in hindsight since he's injury prone. The TE position simply isn't worth the 3rd pick in the draft.

It's just hilarious to me how we've got people that are against taking a QB at 3 because they're obsessed with making picks based on VALUE yet would be totally fine taking this TE at 3. Un-fucking-real.

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
If he had the same measurables and put up like 75 rec/800yrds and 8 TD's I don't think you would get a lot of argument, but fact is, in any year, he never had above even average production. Whatever or whomever you want to blame he still was nothing more than meh in college. Not what you expect at #3. Hooker and Adams look and played the part, and Adams is considered a great leader as well.

We've already hashed out the production argument. If going by production was all there is to scouting it'd be easy.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
We've already hashed out the production argument. If going by production was all there is to scouting it'd be easy.
Well then please explain, beyond him looking good and running fast in spandex, what do you believe makes him worth the #3 pick? Cuz some draftnik said so?
And as for hashed out, meaning you ignore it makes it no less valid.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Where in good God do you get that # from? You are bringing in a QB that you hope to high heaven is an above average game manager, you have a RB that is top 5 and you have glaring needs at CB, S, QB, WR, just to start, and the idea is to bring in a guy with 114 catches and 7 TD's in 46 career games a little over 2 catches per game and 1 TD in every 6.5 games, and you draft him at 3 with the expectation he can become the focal point and face of the offense.

I don't know where tp even start with this.

so the Bears are only going to have game managers from now on......they can't draft a high potential guy......why even have WRs.....lets just do the wishbone then....