OC Candidates for next year...?

theTruth21

Liked Posts:
I don't disagree but here's the problem, what system?

Whatever you want to call what Tice has installed. I think it's very hard to evaluate his O right now b/c of the horrendous OL...I mean, what plays can you call/run when you struggle to block long enough for 3 step drops? I'm looking at it like, let's leave the terminology and things the same, and let Jay call more no-huddle etc. I know it's not ideal but I can't think of anything worse than a 4th OC in Jay's tenure here; especially w/ all the talk he's had lately about stressing the importance of continuity of systems..he's up for a contract ext. soon--if they were to give him a 4th OC he may look at it and say, "where else can I go where they put a premium on protecting me and give me some continuity of systems?"

dondraper

lol at mike tice will grow into his role. he is a fucking idiot with no understanding of how to run an offense. he will develop into a below average oc at best

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
lol at mike tice will grow into his role. he is a fucking idiot with no understanding of how to run an offense. he will develop into a below average oc at best

Pete CarMichael from the Saints.

Yes, he is already an OC, but he does not call plays when Payton is around and he may want to get out of Payton's shadow and run his own offense.

That and the guy has worked with the genius that is Sean Payton.

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I don't want to see yet another coordinator change. What I would like to see, is a serious commitment from the Bears org to address the offensive line in the draft and free agency. I would be really surprised (and angry) if this wasn't #1 on Phil's agenda going into the offseason. I don't think we can get a good read on how effective Tice is as a play caller. The offensive line is seriously handicapping the playbook. Granted, there have been some things that looked pretty boneheaded to the outside observer...but we are only dealing with a fraction of the overall picture. All that said, I really am hoping for some continuity (as bad as things look right now offensively).

Capt. Serious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The O-Line may suck ass but you know maybe Mike Tice isn't an offensive coordinator.

Reactions: X

Justin Heras

Liked Posts:
I don't want to see yet another coordinator change. What I would like to see, is a serious commitment from the Bears org to address the offensive line in the draft and free agency. I would be really surprised (and angry) if this wasn't #1 on Phil's agenda going into the offseason. I don't think we can get a good read on how effective Tice is as a play caller. The offensive line is seriously handicapping the playbook. Granted, there have been some things that looked pretty boneheaded to the outside observer...but we are only dealing with a fraction of the overall picture. All that said, I really am hoping for some continuity (as bad as things look right now offensively).

I couldn't agree more...

What can Tice do when opposing defenses are getting pressure rushing 3 and sending every one else back into coverage while we ,on large portion of plays, send only Marshal and Forte past the line of scrimmage ? While I'm not saying Tice is a good or bad OC the problem is first and foremost the offensive line.

dweebs19

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Probably be someone like Jeremy Bates.

he was terrible in Seattle. I don't know if he was an OC, but I do remember him getting fired in the middle of the season with the Seahawks.

Uncle Zeek

Liked Posts:

Continuity of bad is still bad. I'm all for a new system, starting with a zone blocking scheme that Tice doesn't run, but our roster will realisticly have half a shot of executing in the next year.

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Can you please put this in "terms I can understand again"? I really enjoyed it last time. Lol. I was literally laughing out loud when I read it.

Wakacha

Liked Posts:
As much as I'd like to see Tice given a chance with a decent OL, his decision making thus far regardless makes him fired IMO. I'd like to see him go back to just OL coach, and promote Bates. Via Wiki: In 2008, Bates called the offensive plays for the Broncos, helping Cutler become a Pro Bowl selection and the team to have the NFL's second-most productive offense (1st in the AFC). Would it be fair to say that promoting Bates wouldn't count as a "offensive system" change? It would finally be (close to) a continuous system for Cutler, which is what is needed now. Tice is much better when he's focused on the OL. Bates as the OC is much more exciting IMO.

Also, FWIW: . In 2004 Bates was promoted to the position of assistant quarterbacks coach, working closely with head coach Jon Gruden. I want to be on the record as saying I don't want Lovie fired, but if he had to be, I'd love to see a Gruden/Bates offense. Lovie has a higher winning percentage than Gruden, and Gruden inherited a very good Buccaneers team, and despite the Super Bowl win, there were many, including players on the Buccaneers like Warren Sapp, who attributed Gruden's win primarily to the defense that Dungy and DC Monte Kiffin had created during Dungy's tenure with the Bucs.
Gruden's overrated, and Lovie is solid. Bates as OC = Cutler Pro-Bowl. Recreate that.

Wakacha

Liked Posts:
OL was much better with Tice not calling plays. 2.3 sacks per game with CUTLER as QB (10 games). That would be literally League Average this year. Currently, the Atlanta Falcons are giving up 2.0 sacks per game (10 games)(T-10th in League), the Packers are giving up 3.2 sacks (29th), the 49ers are giving up 3.1 sacks (28th), and the Current Bears are giving up 3.4 sacks (31st).

The Bears have given up 3 more sacks than the 49ers. Is anyone freaking out about their OL? Not really. It comes down to play-calling. Bates OC + Tice OL = Success.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Wakacha.

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
The O-Line may suck ass but you know maybe Mike Tice isn't an offensive coordinator.

That's the quandary... Is the recent sucking offense basically all Tice's fault, or more so poor execution and/or poor OL/TE personnel?

In my opinion, the main current problem is poor execution and poor OL/TE talent. One can be fixed, the other can be a bit (Promote Rod/Adams/Jonathan Scott/James Brown). Plus, we've seen this OL play decent games; the TE play has been more sparse than that. Still, we also have to blame Tice, Bates and Lovie for the poor player execution.

Wakacha

Liked Posts:
Tice offensive lines are statistically better with him as the OL coach than they are with him as OC or head coach, when it comes to Sacks. Obviously the sample size for OC is small, and personnel and talent change over the years, so this is in no way an exact measurement of Tice's ability, but it's an interesting guideline:

Vikings
OL Coach
1997: 2.06 sacks per game
1998: 1.5
1999: 2.6875 (2 QBs) [2.8 per game with better QB, Jeff George, 10 games]
2000: 2.125
2001: 2.9375 (3 QBs) [3 per, with starter, Culpepper, 11 games]

2.2625 (2.3 under "normal" circumstances)

Head Coach
2002: 2.9375
2003: 2.625
2004: 2.875
2005: 3.375 (2 QBs) [2.5 with better QB, Johnson, and 4.43 with original starter, Culpepper]

2.953 (2.734 "normal")

Bears
OL Coach
2010: 3.5
2011: 3.0625 (3 QBs) [2.3 with Cutler, 4.75 with Hanie, 3.5 with McCown]

3.281 (2.9 with Cutler)

OC [10 Games]
2012: 3.4 [3.1 with Cutty]

So if this season continues on the same pace, the OL will be worse statistically with him as the OC than it was as OL coach, and the same was true for him in Minnesota. I would argue that our OL personnel seems like they should be better than last year's group, which makes me point to coaching.

number51

Señor Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Andy Reid.

Yup, I know he has imploded as a HC this season, and he has tons of talent in Philly and refused to run McCoy.

But things just ran there course in Philly, Reid is a top flight offensive guy. He would be the best OC in Chicago since...... ever.

I have no idea if he would take the job.

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
Andy Reid.

Yup, I know he has imploded as a HC this season, and he has tons of talent in Philly and refused to run McCoy.

But things just ran there course in Philly, Reid is a top flight offensive guy. He would be the best OC in Chicago since...... ever.

I have no idea if he would take the job.

So you want Reid to come here an not run Forte??

Reactions: X