OC Candidates for next year...?

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
Tice and Marinelli did not go right into coordinator positions (in fact it too Tice 7 years to become a coordinator). They were both position coaches.
Tice was not fired from the Vikings, they allowed his contract to expire. So he had no income at that point.
Marinelli was owed $2mil from the Lions, and was a position coach when he joined the Bears, which enabled him to collect. Martz, who was owed a bit over 3.5 from the Rams, worked out a contract settlement with the Rams due to his circumstances. So he tried for the Oakland and I think Saints jobs, and wound up settleing for the Lions OC job.

NONE of these situations compare to Andy Reid. If Reid were to work for the Bears it would be as Head Coach. That's it.

The situation of Martz you describe (still under contract with the Rams, owed 3.5, and the next year is OC for the Lions), and coming off two poor team record years, is certainly similar to Reid. Very similar.

Again, of course there's differences too. But we can't say what Reid really wants to do next year. Considering what he's been through as an HC in Philly, and the excellent offensive mind he has, I don't find it so inconceivable he'd want to be an OC instead. It's not likely he'd want to become OC of the Bears, but it's certainly possible.

Uncle Zeek

Liked Posts:
The situation of Martz you describe (still under contract with the Rams, owed 3.5, and the next year is OC for the Lions), and coming off two poor team record years, is certainly similar to Reid. Very similar.

Again, of course there's differences too. But we can't say what Reid really wants to do next year. Considering what he's been through as an HC in Philly, and the excellent offensive mind he has, I don't find it so inconceivable he'd want to be an OC instead. It's not likely he'd want to become OC of the Bears, but it's certainly possible.
Martz last 2 years coaching the Rams went 12-4 and 8-8(made the playoffs and advanced). In 2005 he had to take a leave for medical reasons after week 4. Martz coached for 5 years and was well known as a pain in the ass to managment, thus, his ousting.
If you want to compare Reid to someone, Think Shanny, Coughlin, or older guys like Johnson and Shottenhimer. They aren't going to work for Lovie either.

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
Quote Originally Posted by Sculpt View Post

Martz last 2 years coaching the Rams went 12-4 and 8-8(made the playoffs and advanced). In 2005 he had to take a leave for medical reasons after week 4. Martz coached for 5 years and was well known as a pain in the ass to managment, thus, his ousting.
If you want to compare Reid to someone, Think Shanny, Coughlin, or older guys like Johnson and Shottenhimer. They aren't going to work for Lovie either.

Well, if you want to knit-pick... Martz did not leave for medical reasons after Week 4. Martz oversaw all but 2 days of practice, and called the plays for the Week 5 game (Oct 9), and took his leave Oct 10.

"Rams coach Mike Martz was on the sideline calling plays after missing two practices last week while undergoing tests for a bacterial infection of a heart valve, and began taking antibiotics Oct. 7." Source

I was of course noting the Rams were 8-8 in 04', and 6-10 in 05', an 05' team created by Martz; but yes, he only coached it through Week 5 (2-3 record). As HC, before his leave, Martz was 7-9 his last 16 games. Reid is 7-9 his last 16 games.

But regardless, Reid doesn't strike me as someone who'd go HC to OC, but Martz didn't seem like the type going into 06' either. Still, if Tice is a goner, it's unlikely the Bears are in the playoffs, which means Lovie might not be back as HC 2013. Reid is more likely a Bears HC choice, but still possible OC, especially since Lovie is not likely long with the Bears.

chitownbears88

CSS Resident Curtis Enis
Liked Posts:
Pep Hamilton.

Worked with Andrew Luck. Runs a TE heavy offense at Stanford. And he knows the Bears org because he was the QB coach for the Bears in '07.

I think it is time to bring in some young blood. I am sick of these old out of date coaches. If they were any good they wouldn't have been fired.

Justin Heras

Liked Posts:
Are you kidding me?????

The LT and RT are Tices guys already. This is what HE wanted, this is his idea of talent. You think next year he is going to have some kind brain event where now he knows what a talented o-line guy looks like.....my god, Bear fans never seem to amaze me.

You fire the whole bunch dude. You briing in a HC who has a staff he is comfortable working with. You try to develop continuity in the management ranks, then let your new GM and your new HC find the guys to fit the needs they have on both sides of the ball, not just on the defensive sdie like it has been for a decade. It is a 3-5 year plan.

And you better make sure that your GM has enough brains to hire a HC that has an offense background, if he hires another defensive guy then you can bet it will be another 5-10 years of what you just had the past 20 years...see Juron, Wanny, Lovie.

YOU UNDERSTAND THE PLAN NOW!!!

And you know Webb and Carimi are Tice's guys how ?

I would agree with you if i knew for sure they really were " his guys ". The problem is we don't know. Is it out of the realm of possibilities that Tice is just working with what he had and had little to no say on who we brought in ? Is it out of the realm of possibility that Tice is just backing these guys publicly because that's what coaches typically do ? I'm not saying you are wrong but you can not sit here and tell me Tice is a bad coach just because he is trying to coach offensive linemen that for the most part have no business playing in the NFL much less starting. We don't have all the details and until we do calling for Tice's head is a little premature.

X

When one letter is enough
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
The answer is Norv Turner.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Adam Dyson.

X

When one letter is enough
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Adam Dyson.

HC: Rex Ryan
OC: Norm Chow
DC: Buddy Ryan

QB: Brett Favre
RB: Anthony Thomas
WR: Marshall, no one else
TE: Shannon Sharpe, Sterling Sharpe, Kellen Winslow (Sr. and Jr.), Gabe Carimi (all on field @ same time)
Webb and Carimi stay.

Center: Cutler (he's use to getting hit on every play anyway)

There's the offense. There's your fire and passion. have fun!

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
OL was much better with Tice not calling plays. 2.3 sacks per game with CUTLER as QB (10 games). That would be literally League Average this year. Currently, the Atlanta Falcons are giving up 2.0 sacks per game (10 games)(T-10th in League), the Packers are giving up 3.2 sacks (29th), the 49ers are giving up 3.1 sacks (28th), and the Current Bears are giving up 3.4 sacks (31st).

The Bears have given up 3 more sacks than the 49ers. Is anyone freaking out about their OL? Not really. It comes down to play-calling. Bates OC + Tice OL = Success.

It's not just about sacks. The bears have no run game right now.