Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
He still gets paid if he goes to another team ...

Doubt that. Most coaches contracts are void once they are hired by a new team, I'm sure Reid is the same.

Uncle Zeek

Liked Posts:
Doubt that. Most coaches contracts are void once they are hired by a new team, I'm sure Reid is the same.
Exactly. Then let's concider, the guy was a HC for over a decade, just had his son die, and could have a paid year off to spend with his family, recharge, and throw his hat in the ring for a HC job next year.

OR, he could give up his last year salary, take an OC job that wouldn't come close to half the $5.5 mil his last year of his Eagles contract would give him, and potentially wind up going down with the good ship Lovie after one year.

MakeMyDay

VISIONARY
Donator
Liked Posts:
Players do, can't see why coaches wouldn't.

Coaches do not get compensation when working for other organizations...That is to cover both sides during negotiations - 1 so a coach cannot just up and leave for another team and 2. If a coach gets released before the end of the contract he is compensated for the orignal amount...If he works else where it voids his deal...

Players only get the guaranteed monies in their contracts when released...

I doubt Andy Reid, if let go, coaches next season...He has had a pretty tough couple of seasons with the team and his son dieing..He probably sits next season out...

Run the ball

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
You might be right, but it doesn't make much sense to me. You get fired, still get paid the remainder of your contract, yet can't coach anywhere else?

Maybe coaching keeps his mind off his son and death too, a little therapeutic for him.

Uncle Zeek

Liked Posts:
You might be right, but it doesn't make much sense to me. You get fired, still get paid the remainder of your contract, yet can't coach anywhere else?

Maybe coaching keeps his mind off his son and death too, a little therapeutic for him.

It's a clause that protects both sides, but mostly the Eagles.
Let's say Phiily fires Reid, and the Cowboys fire Garrett. Reid goes to Jerry Jones and says "I'll coach the Cowboys for free this year since the Eagles are paying me 5.5 mil anyway".
Now the Eagles are not only paying their new coach, but a division rivals coach as well.

MakeMyDay

VISIONARY
Donator
Liked Posts:

You can go on and coach else where...You just forfeit the remainder of the contract..

or in some cases, depending on the contract, you just get paid the difference. Which some coaches opt to do so they stay active in hopes of landing a better deal down the road...I think Jack Del Rio is the DC in Denver and Jax is only on the hook for the difference between the two contracts...

Depends on how the deal is set up...Regardless Andy Reid is Due 5.5M whether he works or not...

Run the ball

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Thanks guys, I had no idea about that. I learn something new everyday!

paytonisgod

Liked Posts:
Whatever happens with Reid I highly doubt he would want to play second fiddle to anybody. It's not like he was a failure as an HC like Marinelli or Wade Phillips. Despite never winning the SB his teams were always highly competitive. If he gets fired some organizations will be on the phone with him immediately. I would not be surprised if Rivera, for instance, was not fired the day after Andy leaves Philly.

Da Coach

Liked Posts:
Reid for our OC is just plain crazy talk. He will take Norvells job in so Cal or Carolina or Dallas. Way to many had gigs for him to even consider coming here

number51

Señor Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Reid for our OC is just plain crazy talk. He will take Norvells job in so Cal or Carolina or Dallas. Way to many had gigs for him to even consider coming here

Like I said before, no idea if he would have any interest in the gig. In a sad way I would loose respect for him if he took the Bears OC job.

Just a wish list, it is the holidays.

Sculpt

Liked Posts:

Whatever happens with Reid I highly doubt he would want to play second fiddle to anybody. It's not like he was a failure as an HC like Marinelli or Wade Phillips. Despite never winning the SB his teams were always highly competitive. If he gets fired some organizations will be on the phone with him immediately. I would not be surprised if Rivera, for instance, was not fired the day after Andy leaves Philly.

That's all true, except let's be real -- HCs do sometimes choose to become Coordinators...

Reid has been OC and HC, and knows they are different jobs. Ask Marinelli, Tice and Martz. They were all HCs who became Coordinators. And no, I don't think they made the choice as a planned stepping stone to a new HC position, or because they couldn't get anything else (especially more experienced/older coaches, who can be a HC at the college level, or do something else). At any point in a coaches career, they may want the exclusive highly focused play-strategy task of being a Coordinator.

At this stage, I highly doubt multi-millionaire Reid works by-in-large for the money. I think he works for the challenge. Not to say it's likely, but Reid might be interested for a multitude of reasons. It's incorrect, to much too presumptive, to declare the idea asinine.

Da Coach

Liked Posts:
That's all true, except let's be real -- HCs do sometimes choose to become Coordinators...

Reid has been OC and HC, and knows they are different jobs. Ask Marinelli, Tice and Martz. They were all HCs who became Coordinators. And no, I don't think they made the choice as a planned stepping stone to a new HC position, or because they couldn't get anything else (especially more experienced/older coaches, who can be a HC at the college level, or do something else). At any point in a coaches career, they may want the highly focused play-strategy task of being a Coordinator.

At this point, I highly doubt multi-millionaire Reid works by-in-large for the money. I think he works for the challenge. Not to say it's likely, but Reid might be interested for a multitude of reasons. It's incorrect, to much too presumptive, to declare the idea asinine.

I just dont think Marinelli, Tice or Martz would be viewed like Reid. Teams will break the bank to get Andy. Nobody even really wanted those other three because in large they had short, unsuccessfull stints as head coaches with the exception of Martz winning a super bowl. Andys resume is much more impressive.

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
I just dont think Marinelli, Tice or Martz would be viewed like Reid. Teams will break the bank to get Andy. Nobody even really wanted those other three because in large they had short, unsuccessfull stints as head coaches with the exception of Martz winning a super bowl. Andys resume is much more impressive.

I think you may be missing my point. Of course all 4 of the coaches we're talking about had differences; but in the NFL/business world, it's about what you've done lately. Reid was 8-8 last year, and is 3-7 this year, and probably go 4-12 (looking at their schd). In the context of the point I'm making, Reid is in a similar situation as the other 3.

My point being, if let go by the Eagles, next year, Reid may simply want the singular focus challenge of being an OC on an NFL team that's definitely a SB contender. He may like the Bears OC for a wide number of reasons, and not for the money. Again, not that it's likely, but it's certainly well within the possible.

(Tice's stint was a little over 4 years as HC; not really a "short stint". Not very successful, except for 1 playoff berth 04', and also lead the NFL in total offense 03'.)

Uncle Zeek

Liked Posts:

Reid has been OC and HC, and knows they are different jobs. Ask Marinelli, Tice and Martz. They were all HCs who became Coordinators. And no, I don't think they made the choice as a planned stepping stone to a new HC position, or because they couldn't get anything else (especially more experienced/older coaches, who can be a HC at the college level, or do something else). At any point in a coaches career, they may want the exclusive highly focused play-strategy task of being a Coordinator.

At this stage, I highly doubt multi-millionaire Reid works by-in-large for the money. I think he works for the challenge. Not to say it's likely, but Reid might be interested for a multitude of reasons. It's incorrect, to much too presumptive, to declare the idea asinine.
Tice and Marinelli did not go right into coordinator positions (in fact it too Tice 7 years to become a coordinator). They were both position coaches.
Tice was not fired from the Vikings, they allowed his contract to expire. So he had no income at that point.
Marinelli was owed $2mil from the Lions, and was a position coach when he joined the Bears, which enabled him to collect. Martz, who was owed a bit over 3.5 from the Rams, worked out a contract settlment with the Rams due to his circumstances. So he tried for the Oakland and I think Saints jobs, and wound up settleing for the Lions OC job.

NONE of these situations compare to Andy Reid. If Reid were to work for the Bears it would be as Head Coach. That's it.