OC Candidates for next year...?

CutlersCorner

Liked Posts:
Whoever our new head coach hires!!!
Emery is going to want his own guy if this shit doesn't pan out IMO...
Lovie has brought an incredible defensive mentality, scheme and often times has had a turd to polish thanks in part to upper management and former GMs.
I don't know if Emery would pull the trigger just yet but embarassing nationally televised games along with Tice, ultimately Lovie putting his reputation up for this o line isn't helping his cause!!
Big loss to the Pack thursday night tv, loss to Houston Sunday night at home in our element..., Blow out vs San Fran Monday night tv vs a second year Qb and Veteran back up... Those games would burn my ass as a new GM and if Emery doesn't focus strictly on resiging our guys and oline, he's got some screws loose.

number51

Señor Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
So you want Reid to come here an not run Forte??

He does have experience in ignoring a feature back.

I think being a HC causes coordinators to lose it. Some guys are born coordinators, some guys can adjust and become head coaches. Reid adjusted and became a great HC, then lost it.

Given a chance to do what everyone knows he can do, I think he steps up.

Like I said before, no idea if he would have any interest in the gig. In a sad way I would loose respect for him if he took the Bears OC job.

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
I don't want to see yet another coordinator change. What I would like to see, is a serious commitment from the Bears org to address the offensive line in the draft and free agency. I would be really surprised (and angry) if this wasn't #1 on Phil's agenda going into the offseason. I don't think we can get a good read on how effective Tice is as a play caller. The offensive line is seriously handicapping the playbook. Granted, there have been some things that looked pretty boneheaded to the outside observer...but we are only dealing with a fraction of the overall picture. All that said, I really am hoping for some continuity (as bad as things look right now offensively).

I also don't want to see another OC (so to not subject Cutler & Co to yet another system), unless we're getting a proven elite OC, and I don't know why that type of OC would come here. The rest of the year is enough time to assess Tice as OC fully. If the Offense doesn't improve, we should promote Bates to OC (which really wouldn't be a total chg of offensive systems). Whether or not we keep Tice as OL coach, I really wouldn't care.

Via Wiki: In 2008, Bates called the offensive plays for the Broncos, helping Cutler become a Pro Bowl selection and the team to have the NFL's second-most productive offense (1st in the AFC).

I've wanted to see McDaniel become our OC ever since he was fantastic and innovative OC for the Pats.

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
I don't want to see yet another coordinator change. What I would like to see, is a serious commitment from the Bears org to address the offensive line in the draft and free agency. I would be really surprised (and angry) if this wasn't #1 on Phil's agenda going into the offseason. I don't think we can get a good read on how effective Tice is as a play caller. The offensive line is seriously handicapping the playbook. Granted, there have been some things that looked pretty boneheaded to the outside observer...but we are only dealing with a fraction of the overall picture. All that said, I really am hoping for some continuity (as bad as things look right now offensively).

I want Tice gone because he's the OL coach and he's failed there miserably. It just so happens he's the OC... oh well. You gotta fix the problems at the root; the OL in this case.

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
Whatever you want to call what Tice has installed. I think it's very hard to evaluate his O right now b/c of the horrendous OL...I mean, what plays can you call/run when you struggle to block long enough for 3 step drops? I'm looking at it like, let's leave the terminology and things the same, and let Jay call more no-huddle etc. I know it's not ideal but I can't think of anything worse than a 4th OC in Jay's tenure here; especially w/ all the talk he's had lately about stressing the importance of continuity of systems..he's up for a contract ext. soon--if they were to give him a 4th OC he may look at it and say, "where else can I go where they put a premium on protecting me and give me some continuity of systems?"

Martz's offense looked better and it had less talent at the WR position. The problem isn't the number of OCs in Jay's tenure, it's the number of bad choices for OC. Since the Bears refuse to fire Lovie any time he should be fired, and he changes OCs to get himself off the hot seat, everytime they need an OC people don't want to come here because of the uncertainty of how long they'll be here. It starts at the top.

MakeMyDay

VISIONARY
Donator
Liked Posts:
At most if Lovie is retained...Tice might be released and Bates promoted to OC...But I could see Lovie just standing with what he has because he just did that with Martz-Tice-Bates

But if Emery decides to blow the whole thing up and rebuild...There will be big changes all around...

I think since his hiring in 2004, Lovie Smith just cannot pick OC's...Turrible!

BearFanJohn

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
At most if Lovie is retained...Tice might be released and Bates promoted to OC...But I could see Lovie just standing with what he has because he just did that with Martz-Tice-Bates

But if Emery decides to blow the whole thing up and rebuild...There will be big changes all around...

Yep. If they don't make the playoffs I think Lovie is done in Chicago. Emery will blow it up. If they make the playoffs then, agreed, at most Bates is elevated to OC. The question becomes what if they are one and done in the playoffs where does Lovie stand?

Uncle Zeek

Liked Posts:

Can't really "just stand". Tice and Bates would need to be given new contracts.

roadwarrior_joe

Liked Posts:
I couldn't agree more...

What can Tice do when opposing defenses are getting pressure rushing 3 and sending every one else back into coverage while we ,on large portion of plays, send only Marshal and Forte past the line of scrimmage ? While I'm not saying Tice is a good or bad OC the problem is first and foremost the offensive line.

Are you kidding me?????

The LT and RT are Tices guys already. This is what HE wanted, this is his idea of talent. You think next year he is going to have some kind brain event where now he knows what a talented o-line guy looks like.....my god, Bear fans never seem to amaze me.

You fire the whole bunch dude. You briing in a HC who has a staff he is comfortable working with. You try to develop continuity in the management ranks, then let your new GM and your new HC find the guys to fit the needs they have on both sides of the ball, not just on the defensive sdie like it has been for a decade. It is a 3-5 year plan.

And you better make sure that your GM has enough brains to hire a HC that has an offense background, if he hires another defensive guy then you can bet it will be another 5-10 years of what you just had the past 20 years...see Juron, Wanny, Lovie.

YOU UNDERSTAND THE PLAN NOW!!!

94c4lt1

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Andy Reid.

Yup, I know he has imploded as a HC this season, and he has tons of talent in Philly and refused to run McCoy.

But things just ran there course in Philly, Reid is a top flight offensive guy. He would be the best OC in Chicago since...... ever.

I have no idea if he would take the job.

I agree! Andy Reid should be snatched up right away if he gets fired. Does anyone remember the Philly screen game was with Westbrook at RB? Forte would thrive in plays like that.

Run the ball

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Now Ried I could get in board with, but as an OC though and not HC. He knows how to use an RB, I have no idea what you guys are saying here. They have a worst oline than we do and can't run, hence the lack of running this year. McCoy and Westbrook don't strike me as duds or under utilized ...

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
Now Ried I could get in board with, but as an OC though and not HC. He knows how to use an RB, I have no idea what you guys are saying here. They have a worst oline than we do and can't run, hence the lack of running this year. McCoy and Westbrook don't strike me as duds or under utilized ...

I really can't see him going from all the power he had in Philly to "just an OC." I think someone else will give him a HC gig.

Uncle Zeek

Liked Posts:
Reid will get paid by Philly to not coach for a year. You really think he won't take a year off?

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
Reid will get paid by Philly to not coach for a year. You really think he won't take a year off?

He still have another year on his contract?

Run the ball

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I really can't see him going from all the power he had in Philly to "just an OC." I think someone else will give him a HC gig.

Very possible, but that's the type of guy that could make a difference, IMO. Not many out there that are on his level, IMO and would be a great asset to the Bears.

Bearsgonewild

Liked Posts:
Implied in the question, is that Lovie stays. It has been mentioned before, how many coaching changes does this guy get??? Will he be here as long, like forever, and we keep shuttling co-coaches? Should we just cryo-freeze Lovie now, so we're all good to go in the year 2050?

roadwarrior_joe

Liked Posts:
Implied in the question, is that Lovie stays. It has been mentioned before, how many coaching changes does this guy get??? Will he be here as long, like forever, and we keep shuttling co-coaches? Should we just cryo-freeze Lovie now, so we're all good to go in the year 2050?

You are dealing with Bear fans. simple logic fails them. They would rather discuss ideas and fantasies that are as dumb as the ownership of the team is. Why fix the root of the problem, Lovie, lets instead talk about a new o-corr, so that when he fails, which is what the last 3 have done, we can discuss the next new one next year.

number51

Señor Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
You are dealing with Bear fans. simple logic fails them. They would rather discuss ideas and fantasies that are as dumb as the ownership of the team is. Why fix the root of the problem, Lovie, lets instead talk about a new o-corr, so that when he fails, which is what the last 3 have done, we can discuss the next new one next year.

"the last three"?

Tice
Martz
Turner
Shea
Shoop
Crowton
Cavanaugh
Turner
Landry
Hughes
Meyer
Marchibroda

This team has never had an offensive coordinator. Maybe Halas.

Yes, Reid would be great.