**OFFICAIL** Bears 2024 Regular Season News & Schleisse - FTO Preferred - No ALTS! Derailing Is Discouraged!

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I don’t think having Mooney or Claypool would stop him. I think it would more be the other needs on the two lines.

But yeah, if Poles is a true BPA guy then I guess there’s still a chance.

But Poles will get run out of town if that OLINE is as bad as last years. Think people can live with another year of bad DLINE but 55 sacks again…. ?

The sacks will come down if Fields actually does commit to taking what the D gives him. He needs to shave about a half second off of his time to throw as 3.45 is just way too long. He gets that to 3 seconds or so and you probably shave off 10-15 sacks on that alone. Having said that the reality is he will likely always have a high time to throw (3 seconds would still be top 5 in NFL) and a decent amount of sacks because mobile QBs with big arms tend to take more sacks than otherwise because they are looking for big plays.

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
The sacks will come down if Fields actually does commit to taking what the D gives him. He needs to shave about a half second off of his time to throw as 3.45 is just way too long. He gets that to 3 seconds or so and you probably shave off 10-15 sacks on that alone. Having said that the reality is he will likely always have a high time to throw (3 seconds would still be top 5 in NFL) and a decent amount of sacks because mobile QBs with big arms tend to take more sacks than otherwise because they are looking for big plays.

Agreed.

But the OLINE still needs a lot more.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
If we are talking on what players fit what scheme, is this the type of tackle Chicago would do well to not consider? The Bengals are a vertical offense, it seems. Or is this the kind of player that struggled in Cinci and moving him to a zone scheme would be a friendly move for someone of his skill set?

Zac Taylor is from the McVay tree and McVay is from the Shanny tree. Getsy is from the same tree via LaFleur so they all run some variation of the ouside zone.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Agreed.

But the OLINE still needs a lot more.

Sure but I suspect they draft someone and they also have a lot young players on the line who can potentially improve. Jones, Jenkins, Borom, Leatherwood, Carter. Diesch. You probably need 3 out of that group to become viable starters with Jones and Jenkins already a long way there.

Spitta Andretti

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Who does more research, you, or the teams that were bidding on McGlinchey?
So you are saying they would have paid Borom that much too?
No?
So much for PFF....................

Its not like that team didn't just trade a haul for an average Russell Wilson

Surely they can't be wrong! Reetard logic again

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Sure but I suspect they draft someone and they also have a lot young players on the line who can potentially improve. Jones, Jenkins, Borom, Leatherwood, Carter. Diesch. You probably need 3 out of that group to become viable starters with Jones and Jenkins already a long way there.

Leatherwood showed absolutely nothing last year.

Diesch is a practice squad guy.

They need to draft AT LEAST two guys. And hopefully find a vet to sign as well.

Jones and Jenkins are fine. Borom is fine as a backup. (But they can do better)

Butkus34

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
You treat Leatherwood as a swing tackle, backup position. If he surprises then good for the Bears.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Leatherwood showed absolutely nothing last year.

Diesch is a practice squad guy.

They need to draft AT LEAST two guys. And hopefully find a vet to sign as well.

Jones and Jenkins are fine. Borom is fine as a backup. (But they can do better)

Yes hence why I said potential to improve. Not saying they will or that we should count on it. But a guy like Jawaan Taylor was pretty bad his first couple of years and then started to figure it out in his 3rd year. In fact most of the guys people wanted in free agency looked pretty bad early on and in many cases you were going to be paying them off of one good year or really for their attributes other than pass blocking.

McGlinchey's pass blocking in true pass sets was 56 for example which is marginally worse than Borom's. So you paying 17m for his run blocking really as not much of an upgrade pass blocking.

And most of the 1st round tackles last year were not all that good pass blocking. Slayer was the only rookie T with a better pass block grade than Jones and he was a 6th round pick so I think people need to be realistic as rare for someone to come right in and be really good at pass blocking.

Montucky

Liked Posts:
It’s more important to draft an unstoppable offense rather than a great defense in today’s NFL. Philly has a top 5 defense and look what happened in the SB. They couldn’t stop Kansas City from moving up and down the field.

Also puts pressure on other team’s offense to keep up.
Except two of the four highest cap hits on the Chiefs last year were defensive linemen. And since drafting Patrick Mahomes in 2017 only once have the Chiefs used a draft pick in the top fifty on an offensive player. So it seems like Kansas City has other ideas about where you should be investing money and draft picks.