**OFFICAIL** Bears 2024 Regular Season News & Schleisse - FTO Preferred - No ALTS! Derailing Is Discouraged!

Dejo

Godfather of FTO
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Real Salt Lake
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Utah Jazz
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Utah Utes
I see a lot of these nice plays and the highlight videos all over YouTube. But the issue with Darnell Wright and why he doesn't fit the Bears system is not what he does in the box and on the edge.

The issue is how terrible he is at lead pulling. He is not fast enough, for whatever reason, to pull and lead a WR or back across the formation. This is a requirement for any OL on the Bears. Man up, the dude can blast any DL across from him. He won't be able to execute the necessary cross formation far side blocks.

So, when I see people, not you Dejo, posting Darnell Wright shit being all like, ah but derp says "not scheme fit", it's like, yeah, he isn't. I spent some time watching his tape studies and highlight films and NONE of them showed him pull and lead from the far side of the formation and be able to stay in front of their WR or back. That is his issue. If he was able to lead pull and stay in front of a speedy WR or Back, he'd probably be our top OL. So, though he will go in the 1st, and deservedly so, he is not a fit for our system.
I do wonder if it is a weight thing. Isn’t he 330+? If he reduces there, he may have plenty of athleticism, I just haven’t watched enough of his game to know outside of the RAS stuff

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Didn't say he was, i clearly said "if he didn't get hurt" then he would be talked about going #1.
And absolutely no one talked about him going #1 even before he was injured. Thanks. Even @knoxville7 wouldn’t talk about going #1.

bears51/40

Liked Posts:

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
I see a lot of these nice plays and the highlight videos all over YouTube. But the issue with Darnell Wright and why he doesn't fit the Bears system is not what he does in the box and on the edge.

The issue is how terrible he is at lead pulling. He is not fast enough, for whatever reason, to pull and lead a WR or back across the formation. This is a requirement for any OL on the Bears. Man up, the dude can blast any DL across from him. He won't be able to execute the necessary cross formation far side blocks.

So, when I see people, not you Dejo, posting Darnell Wright shit being all like, ah but derp says "not scheme fit", it's like, yeah, he isn't. I spent some time watching his tape studies and highlight films and NONE of them showed him pull and lead from the far side of the formation and be able to stay in front of their WR or back. That is his issue. If he was able to lead pull and stay in front of a speedy WR or Back, he'd probably be our top OL. So, though he will go in the 1st, and deservedly so, he is not a fit for our system.

Your analysis doesn’t jive with his athletic profile. Do you really believe Wright wouldn’t be able to execute any assignment that Borom or Reiff have been tasked with in their time with the Bears?

Here’s a summary of his combine numbers:

“He recorded a 5.01-second 40-yard dash, ranking sixth among all offensive linemen. Wright’s 10-yard split of 1.81 seconds was 20th-best among his positional group.

Wright recorded a 9’6″ broad jump, ranking third among offensive linemen at the NFL scouting combine. He also recorded a 29-inch vertical jump, which was 21st among offensive linemen.

Wright finished the NFL scouting combine with a RAS score of 9.47, which was one of the highest marks among offensive linemen. Wright’s athleticism score of 85 was tied with Broderick Jones (Georgia) for second-best among offensive linemen.”

All of that was at 330 lbs…

He could drop 15 and maintain his physical dominance and further increase his movement skills.

dentfan

No gods! No Masters!
Liked Posts:
I do wonder if it is a weight thing. Isn’t he 330+? If he reduces there, he may have plenty of athleticism, I just haven’t watched enough of his game to know outside of the RAS stuff
Yeah, @knoxville7 said he hoped it was a possibility, too. I’m not sure why he can’t lead pull and make the block. You could be right.

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
And absolutely no one talked about him going #1 even before he was injured. Thanks. Even @knoxville7 wouldn’t talk about going #1.
Def not. Just cuz one “expert” talked about him going top 10 doesn’t mean he will or should.

Love the kid, but he’s a 3rd rounder at best due to his age and injury.

I’ve always comped him as a slightly stronger armed Josh Dobbs. Smart qb that has good mobility.

Hooker will be an excellent backup QB for a decade. Nothing more, nothing less

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Yeah, @knoxville7 said he hoped it was a possibility, too. I’m not sure why he can’t lead pull and make the block. You could be right.
Everything I’ve seen of the kid(which is more than the rest of CCS), I think he can play in the bears run system adequately at worst.

He’s just a big man, but he can move well for his size

He played LT and RT and took on the fastest defenders the college game has

Also, the notion that the UT offense is just a quick pass gimmick offense, doesn’t know jack shit. QB Hooker had the longest pass per attempt average, and you don’t get that by throwing quick passes.

They also ran the ball a hell of a lot more than people realize, and him playing RT last season was a big part of that

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Yeah not sure many were talking about which QB would go #1 before the college season even got to the playoffs and Hooker even declared for the draft.

Thanks

Last edited: