**OFFICAIL** Bears 2024 Regular Season News & Schleisse - FTO Preferred - No ALTS! Derailing Is Discouraged!

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
First, no offense to @bamainatlanta but this was mentioned with no source.
Second, lots of times these reports aren't accurate.
Third, DeForest Buckner is an elite DT that's still just 28. He'd instantly improve the entire DL. So even if teams are currently offering a 3rd, you may need to offer a 2nd to get that difference maker or even more.
that may be true but he also comes with a $17M cap hit for 2023, which would be pretty pricey for most teams at this point. Teams would likely need to sign him to a new contract extension to lower that cap hit (the Bears have the cap space however)

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Third, DeForest Buckner is an elite DT that's still just 28. He'd instantly improve the entire DL. So even if teams are currently offering a 3rd, you may need to offer a 2nd to get that difference maker or even more.
It’s been on the Colts board for quite some time now(their fans are surprisingly more grounded in player values) but I didn’t notice this yesterday:

So this isn’t happening now. Colts beat writers were prior speculating that he was available as they heard rumors from the Indy HQ awhile ago.

Discus fish salesman

Liked Posts:
that may be true but he also comes with a $17M cap hit for 2023, which would be pretty pricey for most teams at this point. Teams would likely need to sign him to a new contract extension to lower that cap hit (the Bears have the cap space however)
True. I think he's still worth a 2 easy and would do that as the bears, but I don't know what the market looks like. Lions should be all over a move like this

maxhatter

Liked Posts:
The Colts just restructured his contract and reduced his salary for 2023 to $13.75M. He's on the books next year for $20M. The restructure reduced his salary by $5M but only saved the Colts $2.5M in cap space. To me, this looks like they are trying to make him easier to trade.

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
The Colts just restructured his contract and reduced his salary for 2023 to $13.75M. He's on the books next year for $20M. The restructure reduced his salary by $5M but only saved the Colts $2.5M in cap space. To me, this looks like they are trying to make him easier to trade.
Not so sure about that:

"Wednesday also brought about more assurance that Buckner would be sticking with the Colts. The Colts restructured Buckner's contract by converting $5 million of his 2023 salary into a signing bonus. The restructure creates $2.5 million in cap space for the Colts and fully guarantees Buckner's $19.75 million salary for 2023."

bamainatlanta

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
I hope so.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Not so sure about that:

"Wednesday also brought about more assurance that Buckner would be sticking with the Colts. The Colts restructured Buckner's contract by converting $5 million of his 2023 salary into a signing bonus. The restructure creates $2.5 million in cap space for the Colts and fully guarantees Buckner's $19.75 million salary for 2023."

His base salary is $13.75m, the Colts would eat the $5m restructure if they traded him. Buckner already got that money up front.

I think the last mil is a roster bonus, which I believe the Colts already had to pay as well on the first day of the league year.

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
Just because you don't like the idea of it doesn't mean it's a bad take, it's actually a good take and all he's saying is they should have that conversation. He's not saying they should do it. He's saying if they're sold on A.Richardson or Levis then they should talk about it and they should and probably will even if it's a convo that lasts 20 seconds. It absolutely makes sense to have a QB on a contract that's much more in line with your rebuild then fields is right now. That makes sense.
No, it's a really dumb take for strategic reasons that are obvious. You have that conversation before you move out of the first pick, because that's when you can control the outcome most.

QBs cost a lot of money, but if you have one, you pay him because there aren't enough to go around. Having a cheaper option makes sense if you aren't sold on investing in the current QB. Having a QB in line with the rebuild for cost control purposes only makes sense when you don't have one worth investing the time into developing, which is also a conversation they should have had when they had the first overall pick.

That is without regard to which QB I like more, and everything to do with being process oriented.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Richardson is an extremely raw product. Like steak that was ordered rare but never even placed on a grill. He’ll likely have to develop 2 or 3years, thus wasting most of his rookie contract.
Agree. that's why i said in my first post that if it were me i would of done my talking about drafting a QB at #1 when Young and Stroud were there to get but i see no reason to draft Richardson who's coming out with more question marks then Fields has.

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers
Colts are a bad team with Buckner, but I doubt he gets moved while Ballard is on his last straw

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Can't believe he's only 28. just feels like he's been around a lot longer.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Poles is saving money for a reason cause he still has to spend somewhere around $40 mil more this offseason and i'd have no issue giving a beast like Buckner a new deal right away.

bamainatlanta

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
I dont think white will make it to any of the bears 2nd round picks but hope I'm wrong. I'd much prefer him to foskey who looks to be falling in the bears range
Foskey is the next Justin Tuck.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
No, it's a really dumb take for strategic reasons that are obvious. You have that conversation before you move out of the first pick, because that's when you can control the outcome most.

QBs cost a lot of money, but if you have one, you pay him because there aren't enough to go around. Having a cheaper option makes sense if you aren't sold on investing in the current QB. Having a QB in line with the rebuild for cost control purposes only makes sense when you don't have one worth investing the time into developing, which is also a conversation they should have had when they had the first overall pick.

That is without regard to which QB I like more, and everything to do with being process oriented.
The convo should be had especially since i'm pretty sure we made the trade out of the top spot before pro days came for either QB correct? If so then there could be new stuff that came up about those QB's and how they looked at their pro days and any new info that has come out on either besides what they did at their pro days.

Daniel Jeremiah is one of the, if not the, most respected "draft expert" out there and actually has NFL experience unlike many of the other so called "draft experts" and i agree that the convo should at least be had.

If it were me there's no way i'm taking Richardson or Levis over Fields but if i was Poles i would at least go over that convo with my other trusted front office people just to make sure we all agree.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
If they traded for Buckner they would almost certainly extend him.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange

#9--PJJ
#53--Tyrique Stevenson
#61--J.Tippman
#64--Karl Brooks