**OFFICAIL** Bears 2024 Regular Season News & Schleisse - FTO Preferred - No ALTS! Derailing Is Discouraged!

dennehy

Liked Posts:
i'm more in the cautious category with him, he's been in the league a long time and also needing an extension having just turned 29, a lot would depend on what his price tag is...if payne got aav of 22.5 mill what is buckner looking for and for how many years. i'd be ok with a 3yr 60mill deal with 50 gtd but thats prob the most i'd be willing to give.
That's fair, my idea would be something like $80m/4 years, but it would really be $54/3 with the fourth year having like $3m dead cap and nothing else guaranteed.

I think it's a safe bet that he will be productive for at least the next three years, his play style tends to be more durable with his length and power. That also coincides with Fields' rookie deal.

He's also not hurt much and consistent as them come against both run and pass.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Then allow be to address both directly:

There is not a current issue on cost control specifically because every unproductive an prohibitively long contract has been purged. He knows his finances already and there is no need to control cost for being as cheap as possible.

There is not an issue of new info, because new info should not change Poles' mentality. This us because the conversation was already had that Fields was the man moving forward. Nothing that any other draftee can show changes their opinion on Fields. And Fields is the center here because his employment is the variable you can control (the other variable, the rookie prospects, were handled when you had the first overall pick, which is why you decide to invest time and resources on looking elsewhere then and there).

I have a lot of professional experience with multi-year budgets exceeding the NFL salary cap. I am telling you, the time for that conversation was when they determined if Fields was their QB, and that decision was made before they sold off the first overall pick.
Direct with speculations. LOL

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I dont think white will make it to any of the bears 2nd round picks but hope I'm wrong. I'd much prefer him to foskey who looks to be falling in the bears range
I think it depends on if the see him as a 3-tech. They may reach a little if so. As an End I wait for him.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
That's fair, my idea would be something like $80m/4 years, but it would really be $54/3 with the fourth year having like $3m dead cap and nothing else guaranteed.

I think it's a safe bet that he will be productive for at least the next three years, his play style tends to be more durable with his length and power. That also coincides with Fields' rookie deal.

He's also not hurt much and consistent as them come against both run and pass.
If he’s still a top 5 dt his contract will be closer to 4 years 90-95 mil with around 60 mil guaranteed

HearshotKDS

Liked Posts:
If he’s still a top 5 dt his contract will be closer to 4 years 90-95 mil with around 60 mil guaranteed
He will be 31 when his current contract expires so if he gets traded I expect his "next contract" to be a franchise tag, maybe even 2. Seems like a much better solution than a long term contract if the team can afford to use the tag on him.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Could be, I think taking him up to age 32 might cut into that a bit. Simmons, Payne, and Donald are the only ones in that category. One is the best ever, the other two are entering their prime.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
Could be, I think taking him up to age 32 might cut into that a bit. Simmons, Payne, and Donald are the only ones in that category. One is the best ever, the other two are entering their prime.
I was basing what he would get more on a better contract than Hargrave than what Simmons and Payne got. I think he’s way better than him.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
I was basing what he would get more on a better contract than Hargrave than what Simmons and Payne got. I think he’s way better than him.
Agree, although Hargrave only has $40m guaranteed.

I'd expect Buckner in the mid-50s probably.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
I don't think you necessarily need to extend Buckner if you trade for him. IDK if he's requested more money, but he's already getting 20-21M AAV. He's going to get 20M in 2024 and then be able to hit the market, if he isn't re-signed. I wouldn't do much more than guarantee this and next year.

Like a token 3-year, 75M extension that just guarantees like 40M total. Basically a 2 year deal, gives him more money upfront and a comparable AAV to the top guys.

bears51/40

Liked Posts:

#9--PJJ
#53--Tyrique Stevenson
#61--J.Tippman
#64--Karl Brooks
Interesting group if Poles does not trade down over the first two days of the draft. Gotta think Tippmann will be long gone by #61 and Karl Brooks at #64 the very top of the third round seems a little rich for my thinking. Bears still need an edge rusher so Foskey at #61 looks like a stronger fit while Stromberg could be on the Bears radar at #64. Brooks might be there on day 3.

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Yeah I personally feel like Byron Young is not a great pick for the Bears - could probably get Tippman or someone like Avila at that spot and then take Carrington Valentine instead of Stromberg - that gets Bears a better iOL and CB prospect at the cost of not drafting Young who would be something like the 4th or 5th DE on the roster.
What current bears DE’s do you think are ahead of him. Walker and who else?

IMO Young would already be our 2nd best DE

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I get it, and that might be the case, but the Colts had over $20M in available cap space. Reducing his salary and converting it to a signing bonus only adds $2.5M of additional cap space. However, in a trade, the acquiring team will only be on the hook for $13.75M versus $18.75. I just don't think the restructuring changes the calculus to the point where it means they are keeping him. The underlying issue remains the same. He's entering the final year of his agreement, with a cap hit of $23M. The reason the trade rumors started was that many don't think the Colts will make that commitment to a 30 y/o defensive tackle. For the record, I don't see the Bears being interested in pursuing him. They weren't interested in pursuing Hargrave, who's a similar age, and signed a contract that was really a 2-year $40M fully guaranteed deal which would be close to the same cash outlay for Buckner.

Not really close. Hargrave would be 20m a year and then dead cap hit of 18.6. Buckner would be 17m a year and no dead cap. So that really is a difference of 24.6m on the cap.

You can also wait until his final year to decide whether he is worth extending or franchise tag. Similar to Moore, no real rush to extend him.

Last edited:

maxhatter

Liked Posts:
Not really close. Hargrave would be 20m a year and then dead cap hit of 18.6. Buckner would be 17m a year and no dead cap. So that really is a difference of 24.6m on the cap.

You can also wait until his final year to decide whether he is worth extending or franchise tag. Similar to Moore, no real rush to extend him.
I don't follow your math. Hargrave's cap hit in 2023 = $6,555,000, and 2024 = $15,475,000. Total cap hit for the first 2 years = $22,030,000. All of which are guaranteed. They can release him at the end year of the 2nd year but will incur a dead cap hit of $18,010,000. So it's a 2-year $40M deal that is fully guaranteed.