**OFFICAIL** Bears 2024 Regular Season News & Schleisse - FTO Preferred - No ALTS! Derailing Is Discouraged!

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Carter is a swing for the fences. If it works then we are likely a wild card team next year assuming Fields is legit. If it blows up in Poles face then it sucks but he has 2 fiest rounders next year and a ton of cap to absorb the blow.

So I can see the logic that now is the time to take that chance when you have considerable draft and cap resources in the event you strike out.

Personally I would still trade down but we shall see.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Here’s a mock draft based on the current betting lines.

“9. CHICAGO BEARS: OT PARIS JOHNSON JR., OHIO STATE​

According to DraftKings, only two other teams are more likely to select a certain position.

The draft going in this direction is a dream setup for the Bears, who would have their pick of the big four offensive linemen in this draft class. The betting market has recently moved to Paris Johnson Jr. being the first offensive lineman selected, with the Ohio State star moving to a 58.3% implied probability in the past 24 hours.”

Interesting…

“12. HOUSTON TEXANS: WR JAXON SMITH-NJIGBA, OHIO STATE​

Houston continues to be the most likely landing spot for JSN, with the market's only pause being the Bears scooping him up at No. 9.

Given their recent decision to move on from Brandin Cooks, offense should be the only priority for the Texans on Day 1. Pairing the top offensive weapon with their young signal-caller and hoping they blossom together is too likely of a scenario to ignore.”

How many of the people in NFL draft rooms put money down once they know who their team is drafting? Would be such an easy scam

TL1961

Liked Posts:
How many of the people in NFL draft rooms put money down once they know who their team is drafting? Would be such an easy scam
NFL employees are not allowed to bet on anything NFL-related. Or they become ex-employees.

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
Carter is a swing for the fences. If it works then we are likely a wild card team next year assuming Fields is legit. If it blows up in Poles face then it sucks but he has 2 fiest rounders next year and a ton of cap to absorb the blow.

So I can see the logic that now is the time to take that chance when you have considerable draft and cap resources in the event you strike out.

Disagree. Even Quennin Williams didn’t have a huge impact until a couple years in.

Even if Carter is the real deal, I don’t think he’s gonna transform the defense like some here think.

I still think OL is the smartest play at 9.

maxhatter

Liked Posts:

This pick will be the first, 1st round pick of Poles' career. He did well by trading down from #1 and getting extra picks and Moore, but I can't see him risking this pick on a "swing for the fences" type of guy. If he believes there is a bust factor with Carter, he will pass on him and take a high-floor foundational pick. For me, that's one of the offensive linemen (potentially with a trade down), Wilson or VanNess.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
From Peter King at Pro Football Talk on the draft:

“What I’m Hearing

I pass these mini-nuggets along as a fan service. They are among the things I’m hearing about the top of the 2023 draft.

• This doesn’t mean anything on the surface, because the way “reporting” works this time of year, things that make sense get repeated and repeated and repeated and it all becomes one giant Insider Echo Chamber. But I didn’t hear anyone, in calls Friday through Sunday, who thinks the first pick won’t be Bryce Young. He may not be. I’m just telling you what’s out there.
  • I will not be surprised if, in the Edge category, Tyree Wilson is picked ahead of Will Anderson. I particularly will not be surprised if Houston—whether at two or through a trade-down if the Texans don’t take a quarterback—takes Wilson over Anderson. “DeMeco Ryans could look at Wilson after his year in San Francisco and say, ‘I got my Nick Bosa,’” said someone in the league who knows Ryans.
  • One coach with a pick in the top 10: “Wilson will be a better pro than Anderson.”
  • I’m like you. I hear the Houston’s souring on Stroud stuff, and I just can’t believe the Texans wouldn’t take a quarterback high in this draft. How would Cal McNair answer to his disaffected season-ticketholders if, after passing on a quarterback with the third and 15th picks in the first round last year, he passes on a quarterback at number two this year? It’s the job of coaches to get the best out of players, and there’s certainly enough potential in C.J. Stroud—should he be there for Houston at two—for the Texans’ coaches to make a good NFL QB out of him.
  • An increasing number of people around the league think Jalen Carter has done enough in his visits to not sink like a stone on draft night. (More on Carter in my next section.) It’s become almost a cliché, how many team officials think the Seahawks will take Carter with the fifth overall pick.
  • Best rumor of the week: Steelers trading up from 17 to nine if Carter’s there. There could not be a more perfect coach for Carter than Mike Tomlin.
  • Carolina owner David Tepper has not been overbearing in the QB-search process. I can hear it now: You’re giving us a sanitized version of this to get on Tepper’s good side. Uh, I’ve never met the man. I could care less about buttering up David Tepper. I’m just telling you the real stuff.
  • Peter Skoronski’s an interesting case. The Northwestern tackle has the dreaded short-arm plague, and two teams in the top 10 see him now as a guard. So what? Guard Chris Lindstrom got drafted 14th by the Falcons in 2019, and he’s now a cornerstone player in Atlanta. Ditto Zack Martin (16th) in Dallas, and with a slightly smaller exclamation point, Quenton Nelson (sixth) in Indy. All got second contracts. If Skoronski’s a great guard, getting picked ninth or 12th or 15th is absolutely fine.
  • This is not an overriding negative on Jaxon Smith-Njigba, an excellent receiver prospect. But the Ohio State football season was five months long last year, including practice, and Smith-Njigba got a left hamstring injury early, and he played 60 snaps total in three games, and never got on the field in the last 10 weeks. He runs a 4.48 40-. I’m not the only one wondering: How is Jaxon Smith-Njigba the top-rated receiver on so many boards with 10 days to go?
On Jalen Carter. Interesting to note that last week, Georgia defensive tackle Jalen Carter was on the list of draftees who will be in Kansas City on Thursday night for the first round. On Saturday, his agent, Drew Rosenhaus, told me: “We definitely would have skipped it if I thought there was the potential of him falling out of the top 10. I’m not concerned in the slightest about that.”

Carter is the lightning rod prospect in this draft after pleading no contest to charges of racing and reckless driving connected with the deaths of a teammate and Georgia football staffer in another car earlier this year. Some thought his draft prospects would plummet after he was sentenced to 12 months of probation, a $1,000 fine and 50 hours of community service. Since then, Rosenhaus said Carter would make visits to teams only in the top 10 of the first round; if other teams wanted to talk to him, they could travel to Carter’s home of Apopka, Fla. Entering this week, he’s made visits to four teams (Seattle, Las Vegas, Chicago and Philadelphia) and Rosenhaus said there will be two more this week before the league shuts off visits on Wednesday. Adam Schefter reported one of the visits will be to Detroit today.

“The goal has been to educate teams about Jalen and the case and who he is,” Rosenhaus said. “It hasn’t been an easy process, but I do think it’s been good for Jalen to get out and see the teams. I think there’s a very good chance he’ll go in the top five.”

Lots of teams look at the fifth slot—Seattle, with Mr. Positive, Pete Carroll, as coach—and automatically think it’s a good shot. It may well be. Detroit, at six, and Chicago and Philly, at nine and 10, also seem to be in play. Who takes the risk on Carter, and who gambles on the potential reward, is going to be one of the big stories of round one.”

Last edited:

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Really? USC has been on the rise the last few years.

NIL stuff man. Ala Jordan Addison. Why can’t he make that same kind of cash at UGA? I don’t know much about the NIL stuff.
Certain schools have definitely embraced it more than others. Tennessee has embraced it 100%

I have a buddy who is a massive Michigan fan and he’s pissed that Michigan isn’t doing more in the NIL space. It’s a big reason why Hunter Dickinson decided to leave for his senior season to play hoops elsewhere and collect a big payday

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Kirby Smart has done a great job flipping the program since he’s come in.

They have been loaded on DL for some years now, and Carter has been better than all of them. He’s the best DL I’ve seen in a few years. Why I hope he slips to 9.
A3BA3891-B83D-4218-99F0-32A7CEF5B1D4.jpeg

MikeDitkaPolishSausage

Liked Posts:
Disagree. Even Quennin Williams didn’t have a huge impact until a couple years in.

Even if Carter is the real deal, I don’t think he’s gonna transform the defense like some here think.

I still think OL is the smartest play at 9.
Not disagreeing at all but there’s also a chance an OL at 9 won’t have a huge impact right away. Whether if it’s Carter or OL at 9, your drafting a talented player which you hope makes a huge impact in year 2 and beyond.

MikeDitkaPolishSausage

Liked Posts:

Dejo

Godfather of FTO
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Real Salt Lake
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Utah Jazz
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Utah Utes
Just brewed mine. Vietnamese drip. 4 scoops Cafe Du Monde. Tablespoon condensed milk.
Need to do some short movies/skits of just brewing the finest on this side of tasty. One sip and it cuts out.