**OFFICAIL** Bears 2024 Regular Season News & Schleisse - FTO Preferred - No ALTS! Derailing Is Discouraged!

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
That's not a good offense, and it feels like it's kind of Frankenstein'ed together. Terrace Marshall was their leading returning WR and they signed DJ Chark who kind of steps on his toes, skillset wise. They both are downfield, deep ball threats with similar body types and limited ability to do anything else but separate down the field. They also bring back Shi Smith, who was very promising out of the slot and are probably taking his reps away with Adam Thielen's corpse. And then they drafted Mingo, who skillset is eerily similar to Laviska Shenault. Now granted, Mingo does things better than Shenault (like run routes and actually catch the ball) and it's fine to have backups you can interchange on the field. But they don't really have anyone with a ton of versatility to move outside and in the slot, excpt maybe Mingo and he's probably not a guy that's going to do that year one. I feel like they are going to give the vets way too many reps to try to help out their rookie QB, and I think it has potential to hurt them long and short term.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Arm length still matter on the interior, and 32.25 is pretty short. Buckner dominates with his length, a guy that many people are trying to comp Dexter to.

Stevenson in particular struggled quite a bit in zone. We'll see.

I agree it matters. I am saying that the length required inside is less than on the outside. But yes he has Buckners height and perhaps power but not his arm length.

Agree in Stevenson. I think Bears think that can be fixed with their coaching.

Last edited:

pjdemar

Liked Posts:
Nice set of post-draft comments & analysis, gentlemen…

One of the things that gets lost a bit with Poles and his draft record so far is the commitment to maximizing his number of picks. Eleven last year (magically morphed from six), ten this year, and eight already for the next two years. It‘s standard GM-speak to say “build through the draft”, but when the draft arrives, a lot of GMs feel compelling to move up to get their guy. By and large, Poles has avoided that, and been more inclined to move down than up. Obviously this is easier to do in a rebuild phase, so we’ll have see if he can hold to that 2-3 years down the road. But the draft has proven to be a very inexact science, and being committed to accumulating additional picks seems like the right long term strategy as well…

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
I hear your frustration, but the Bears were talking to them about going one to two, not 12.

For all we know, they favored Stroud anyway or had the QB ratings close enough not to sell the farm for that one slot.

Poles is tight with the Carolina GM and I don’t think he was keen to drop any further than 9 as a landing spot. He only moved to 10 once he knew he could still grab his guy and pick up a 4th.

What do you think a two trade down move would have netted the Bears? They certainly receive less from Carolina because at 2, Carolina loses the ability to guarantee they get their guy.

It’s all interesting speculation, but Poles did receive a nice bounty of picks and a premium receiver that happens to be an awesome human and not some diva dick bag. He also stayed in position to draft his guy. I don’t believe Wright gets past the Titans at 11, so going to 12 would have had some sting associated with it.
They’d def get less from Carolina but I think the potential value of a Houston pick is much greater than that of Carolinas next season and i think there would have to be some current/future mid round swapping happening to make it all work with Houston. Maybe Stroud was always their guy but during the misinformation segment of the draft process it looked like he was also CARs guy. I just don't see value in rushing to get it done when you had both teams talking who both ended up taking the first two QBs 1 and 2.

Of course if the Texans end up being better than people think and that future first is middle of the Pack(where i expect CAR to be), then this is all moot.

They gave up a 2024 first to move up 9 spots. The isuse is them giving up a first to move up 1 spot which is most likely why they didnt pull the trigger.

In addition, they would know that if they did give up a first then they couldnt make a deal for Anderson. Bears would want either 12 or the 2024 1st both of which were needed to move from 12 to 3. So it was either Young or Stroud & Anderson or Bears accept less than a 1st round pick for them to get Young & Anderson.

Texans likely went thru all of this and decided Stroud & Anderson was best option for them and I agree. Under no circumstances would I ever trade a 1st to move up one spot and if the Bears were in the Texans spot and did that Bears fans would riot.
I imagine additional pick swapping would be involved to make it work more favorably for the Texans but being that the Cardinals fleeced them, maybe not.

I really like dj Moore I called this trade back in December I think. Anyway, I’ll let the season play out but tend to agree Poles is the anti-Pace. Seems to jump on trade down scenario’s , where you could argue the value gain is fleece-ish. At least he’s not giving picks away?

DJ is clutch af. I love the way he plays.
Really like him too. Do i think he's worth a first? not entirely convinced but regardless im happy to have him.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
Nice set of post-draft comments & analysis, gentlemen…

One of the things that gets lost a bit with Poles and his draft record so far is the commitment to maximizing his number of picks. Eleven last year (magically morphed from six), ten this year, and eight already for the next two years. It‘s standard GM-speak to say “build through the draft”, but when the draft arrives, a lot of GMs feel compelling to move up to get their guy. By and large, Poles has avoided that, and been more inclined to move down than up. Obviously this is easier to do in a rebuild phase, so we’ll have see if he can hold to that 2-3 years down the road. But the draft has proven to be a very inexact science, and being committed to accumulating additional picks seems like the right long term strategy as well…
Welcome to the board.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
Disingenuous. They have a good OL too and DJ Chark who is a name worthy of mentioning.
Agree, they have a decent foundation. I think the biggest issues will be acclimating Young and then keeping him healthy. He’s pretty damn small. Think of some of the shots Fields has taken. What would happen if that’s Young on the receiving end?

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Agree, they have a decent foundation. I think the biggest issues will be acclimating Young and then keeping him healthy. He’s pretty damn small. Think of some of the shots Fields has taken. What would happen if that’s Young on the receiving end?
Yep, thats really it. It could be said for any QB but in the case of a small guy like him, all it takes is one hit. Good thing they have Andy Dalton there to hold it down @JurisFrog

gobullschi

Liked Posts:
Id give last years Bears the edge at TE and thats about it.
You have a 33 year old Theilen as a better WR than Darnell Mooney?

Is DJ Chark better than Claypool?

I think the Panthers will have a deeper WR group then the Bears last year, but not a more talented top end.

Nelly

Liked Posts:
Carolina is definitely bottom 10 as far as weapons go going into the season. Bottom 5 like we were last year? Mayb? They've got a lot better O-line than we had though so that'll help them.

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:

I think the Panthers will have a deeper WR group then the Bears last year, but not a more talented top end.
A better corp + an OL that gives a QB time to throw > the garbage the Bears fielded last season
Id take Mooney over Thielen moving forward but last year as straight up players id call them a wash.
Id rather have Chark than Claypool because Chark provides something i want from a big target that Claypool does not - GUAGI.
Mingo feels like perfect fit for a QB like Young who will put the ball where it needs to be on time.

dennehy

Liked Posts:

Claypool played like 2 games with Fields.

I agree that Mooney is probably better than anyone on CAR, but CAR is much, much deeper. I was not high on Mingo though and thought there were better choices there.

I'm not convinced that Sanders is going to do much away from that OL and supporting group in PHI, but CAR has a very good OL too.