**OFFICAIL** Bears 2024 Regular Season News & Schleisse - FTO Preferred - No ALTS! Derailing Is Discouraged!

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
The better way to look at it is how much are teams on the position. The top 10 are Tampa Bay $64M, Arizona $62M, LA Rams $54.4M, Jacksonville $54.3M, Miami $49.5M, LA Chargers $44M, Denver $42.6M, Cleveland $40.7M, Seattle $37, Houston $35.5M. The Bears, by the way, are at $6.6M. The Bengals don't even have to think about paying Ja'Marr Chase until after the 2024 season at the earliest and can use the 5th year option in 2025 if they can't come to an agreement before then. I expect both Higgins and Burrow to get contract extensions this off-season.
Bears at 6.6 million is so laughable. Like it’s impressive that they could actually spend that little on a position that is made up of 5+ guys lol

maxhatter

Liked Posts:
Mooney and Claypool are due for an extension next year. Combine that with a guy like Juedy and it’s simply too much money spent at WR - especially when the Bears are about to pay Kmet too.

Well… I guess it depends on what type of contract Mooney and Claypool demand, but I’ve seen some argue Mooney will get north of $15M/a year.
Again, the future contracts of Claypool and Mooney aren't an issue this off-season. The Bears have already said that they don't plan on extending Claypool. I just don't understand earmarking a $20M contract for Claypool when he hasn't earned it yet. He still doesn't have a 1,000-yard receiving season to his name. This past season 22 receivers eclipsed 1,000 yards. Jeudy finished at 972 in only 15 games. I'll start worrying about his contract situation when it becomes a situation.

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers
Again, the future contracts of Claypool and Mooney aren't an issue this off-season. The Bears have already said that they don't plan on extending Claypool. I just don't understand earmarking a $20M contract for Claypool when he hasn't earned it yet. He still doesn't have a 1,000-yard receiving season to his name. This past season 22 receivers eclipsed 1,000 yards. Jeudy finished at 972 in only 15 games. I'll start worrying about his contract situation when it becomes a situation.
:oprah2:

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
The better way to look at it is how much are teams on the position. The top 10 are Tampa Bay $64M, Arizona $62M, LA Rams $54.4M, Jacksonville $54.3M, Miami $49.5M, LA Chargers $44M, Denver $42.6M, Cleveland $40.7M, Seattle $37, Houston $35.5M. The Bears, by the way, are at $6.6M. The Bengals don't even have to think about paying Ja'Marr Chase until after the 2024 season at the earliest and can use the 5th year option in 2025 if they can't come to an agreement before then. I expect both Higgins and Burrow to get contract extensions this off-season.
One thing of note here with that top 10. Arizona, Jacksonville, Miami, LA Chargers, Seattle and Houston all have QBs on rookie contracts. Cleveland, because of their crazy structuring of Watson's contract and his suspension, only had him at a meager 9M cap hit this year with a base salary of like 1.03Mil.

There's definitely ways to finagle the cap, but Cincy is going to have a tough time staying at the top of the league if they are paying Burrow 50M (rumors are he will get more than Rodgers 50.2M), Higgins 20M (going rate for WRs of his caliber) and eventually Chase 25-27M (Tyreke, Adams money as elite WR). That's potential 90-100M in cap space on 3 players. With some creativity that may not hit til 2026 and they can get it down to like 70-80 per year til the cap inevitably reaches 300M, but it's going to take a lot of sacrifices elsewhere to keep those 3 together.

That being said, I fully expect it to happen. Boyd will be gone. They can pretty much add any 3rd WR and TE in that group and they'll produce with 0 attention on them. The OL and defense is what may suffer though, long term.

Chicago4Life

Liked Posts:
why do people always worry about future issues that may or may not happen...gosh what if claypool deserves 20 mill or what if getsy leaves after 1yr of being the OC etc...worry about those problems when they actually happen...i'd be happy if the bears have a receiver thats actually worth 20 mill...yes its a potentially a big issue but with good drafting it doesnt have to be a big issue...

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
why do people always worry about future issues that may or may not happen...gosh what if claypool deserves 20 mill or what if getsy leaves after 1yr of being the OC etc...worry about those problems when they actually happen...i'd be happy if the bears have a receiver thats actually worth 20 mill...yes its a potentially a big issue but with good drafting it doesnt have to be a big issue...
Because future issues are affected by current issues. The stuff about Getsy, there's no need to worry about. It was always a case of if he left for a HC job, it was because he did good things with the offense and Fields was really good. But decisions that involve salary cap have to be thought about with some foresight. Because you risk losing good players, overpaying bad players, or wasting picks in a trade away if you don't have foresight.

The Bears aren't good enough to not look long-term. They aren't winning a Superbowl in 2023-24, so they shouldn't throw all their eggs in the 2023 basket. They should be building up to make SB runs 2024 and beyond. So they should have foresight into things that may or may not happen.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Mooney and Claypool are due for an extension next year. Combine that with a guy like Juedy and it’s simply too much money spent at WR - especially when the Bears are about to pay Kmet too.

Well… I guess it depends on what type of contract Mooney and Claypool demand, but I’ve seen some argue Mooney will get north of $15M/a year.
I was talking about Higgins and Chase. Mooney and Claypool don't deserve close to that money.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I don’t know that money played any factor at all, got it!!!

:blank:

Lol you are moving goalposts. Your original argument was that the lower taxes in TX played a role. There is zero evidence of that.

maxhatter

Liked Posts:
One thing of note here with that top 10. Arizona, Jacksonville, Miami, LA Chargers, Seattle and Houston all have QBs on rookie contracts. Cleveland, because of their crazy structuring of Watson's contract and his suspension, only had him at a meager 9M cap hit this year with a base salary of like 1.03Mil.

There's definitely ways to finagle the cap, but Cincy is going to have a tough time staying at the top of the league if they are paying Burrow 50M (rumors are he will get more than Rodgers 50.2M), Higgins 20M (going rate for WRs of his caliber) and eventually Chase 25-27M (Tyreke, Adams money as elite WR). That's potential 90-100M in cap space on 3 players. With some creativity that may not hit til 2026 and they can get it down to like 70-80 per year til the cap inevitably reaches 300M, but it's going to take a lot of sacrifices elsewhere to keep those 3 together.

That being said, I fully expect it to happen. Boyd will be gone. They can pretty much add any 3rd WR and TE in that group and they'll produce with 0 attention on them. The OL and defense is what may suffer though, long term.
Kyler Murray signed a 5-year $230M this off-season and Watson's cap hit next year is $54M. I think you correctly point out however how teams have decided to surround quarterbacks on rookie deals and spend on wide receivers to help them become successful

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
If I’m Cincy, pay very little to RB, TE, and other WR’s and keep both Higgins & Chase for as long as possible

I think the biggest thing is maintaining that defense as guys like Bates and Hendrickson are up in this year or next.

Last edited:

maxhatter

Liked Posts:
Because future issues are affected by current issues. The stuff about Getsy, there's no need to worry about. It was always a case of if he left for a HC job, it was because he did good things with the offense and Fields was really good. But decisions that involve salary cap have to be thought about with some foresight. Because you risk losing good players, overpaying bad players, or wasting picks in a trade away if you don't have foresight.

The Bears aren't good enough to not look long-term. They aren't winning a Superbowl in 2023-24, so they shouldn't throw all their eggs in the 2023 basket. They should be building up to make SB runs 2024 and beyond. So they should have foresight into things that may or may not happen.
I understand looking long-term, however, you need to spend while you have a quarterback on a rookie deal, and adding talent around the Fields should be a priority.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
I think the biggest thing is maintaining that defense as guys like Bates and Hendrickson are up in this year oe next.
Hendrickson is signed through 24 at a reasonable number. They could easily extend him and lower his number as well as he only has $5m total in prorated $ left.

The Bengals are prudent with the cap.

Chicago4Life

Liked Posts:

exactly the bears will be building up to make a run in the next few years...but based on poles he also said he will build via the draft and just because they have space doesnt mean they'll overpay on players...my point is just scout/evaluate and keep adding to the team, in this draft he should be able to add at least 1 blue chip talent if not 2...i think he also said whether it was in his first couple pressers that if they are close to competing for a superbowl he would go all in to bring in a guy that may put them over the top...dont go snyder crazy in free agency or trade away draft capital to get WR's or whoever...now pace had said something similar and shortly changed his tune and went free agent crazy to cover his mistakes as a poor drafter...we'll see if poles stays true to his word.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Hendrickson is signed through 24 at a reasonable number. They could easily extend him and lower his number as well as he only has $5m total in prorated $ left.

The Bengals are prudent with the cap.

Yeah I know. I am saying he will need a new deal in 24. Bates is up this year. Benglas are prudent and there is a school of prudent thought that says if you have a franchise QB, do you really need to spend 50-60m on 2 WRs when some of that money may be better allocated elsewhere. Remains to be seen where Bengals fall on that question.

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Lol you are moving goalposts. Your original argument was that the lower taxes in TX played a role. There is zero evidence of that.
I said the lower taxes LIKELY played A ROLE in his decision. Taxes are a money decision, no?!

No goalpost moving here, just reading comprehension issues on your part and trying to ??? anything someone says to you.

Texas has no income tax, Illinois does. He is in a very high tax bracket due to his income, it doesn’t take a rocket scientist to figure out that money played a role in his decision making.

You can still cling to his stating that being close to home was the primary factor in his decision making, that however doesn’t mean money/taxes didnt play a role in the decision.

like, of course money/taxes played a role in the decision, no matter how large or small of a role it was

the fact you’re still going on and on about this is truly perplexing

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Yeah I know. I am saying he will need a new deal in 24. Bates is up this year. Benglas are prudent and there is a school of prudent thought that says if you have a franchise QB, do you really need to spend 50-60m on 2 WRs when some of that money may be better allocated elsewhere. Remains to be seen where Bengals fall on that question.
He'll need a new deal in 25. And he'll be 31, so likely they will get him at a pretty reasonable rate or let him walk.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
I said the lower taxes LIKELY played A ROLE in his decision. Taxes are a money decision, no?!

No goalpost moving here, just reading comprehension issues on your part and trying to ??? anything someone says to you.

Texas has no income tax, Illinois does. He is in a very high tax bracket due to his income, it doesn’t take a rocket scientist to figure out that money played a role in his decision making.

You can still cling to his stating that being close to home was the primary factor in his decision making, that however doesn’t mean money/taxes didnt play a role in the decision.

like, of course money/taxes played a role in the decision, no matter how large or small of a role it was

the fact you’re still going on and on about this is truly perplexing
A couple months ago he was on his bullshit trying to say having the 2 pick better than the 1st when it looked like no way in hell bears get 1. Gl with him lol