Official 2023 Training Camp thread

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
No way the Colts get a 1st round pick for a RB that has to be paid. If the Bears gave up a 2nd, maybe but I doubt it would be accepted by the Colts.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Taylor really isn't a zone runner. The Colts do utilize something they call split zone, but it's more like a classic TE pull/downblock scheme.
Plus I hope that isn't how Poles wants to allocate capital, with several cheap RBs on the roster already.

Last edited:

gpphat

2020 CCS Fantasy Football Champ (ESPN League)
Donator
CCS Overall Fantasy Football Champion
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Virginia Commonwealth Rams
Why? Why would they waste draft capital and make him the highest paid RB in the league? Thats ass backwards
He is still a young talented RB. The Bears have plenty of cap room not only this year but next year also. Fields still has two years on his contract before that can become a factor. They have the draft capital too. I think it was dongbears who posted trades that the bears should make and it had one involving JT for Herbert, a 2024 2nd, and I think a 2024 5th...you can argue that the Bears could possibly draft a RB that could be talented like JT or they could actually acquire JT, front load his contract for the years that they are rich in cap space. The Bears have to spend a certain amount in cap space, they can either throw inflated contracts to aging depth pieces or bring in potentially a top 5 RB?

I don't know, to me it is worth the shot

Spitta Andretti

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
He is still a young talented RB. The Bears have plenty of cap room not only this year but next year also. Fields still has two years on his contract before that can become a factor. They have the draft capital too. I think it was dongbears who posted trades that the bears should make and it had one involving JT for Herbert, a 2024 2nd, and I think a 2024 5th...you can argue that the Bears could possibly draft a RB that could be talented like JT or they could actually acquire JT, front load his contract for the years that they are rich in cap space. The Bears have to spend a certain amount in cap space, they can either throw inflated contracts to aging depth pieces or bring in potentially a top 5 RB?

I think the Bears already reached that floor cap threshold

I wouldn't mind it but not for anything higher than a 3rd

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:

Bears have to potentially re-sign:

Mooney
Claypool
Ngakoue
JJ

If they sign 3 of them after a decent season that cap will get eaten into pretty quickly.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
The Bears will also have the opportunity to get about $9m from cutting Whitehair (very likely imo) and about $12.5m from cutting Eddie Jackson (not as likely but if he gets injured or underperforms this year, more likely).

I hope that $ goes to both the lines though, along with the FAs, not RB.

gpphat

Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I think the Bears already reached that floor cap threshold

I wouldn't mind it but not for anything higher than a 3rd
Next year per overthecap the bears are 2nd in cap space with$86M in space, not sure all the logistics that go into the cap floor, but I would imagine they would need to hit that floor too. The Bears could give Taylor a similar contract that Chubb got, a $36M 3 year extension. guarantee a big chunk of it and have it hit this year and next, where by year 3 if he is injury prone or for whatever reason the Bears want to let him go it will be a minimal cap hit. Even with a contract like that, it wouldn't prevent the Bears from making any big name FA moves with the cap space the Bears have next year.

The only piece is the draft capital and Irsay may want a first but realistically it will end up being a 2nd round pick. I think it would still be worth a 2nd and maybe a 2025 pick and throw in either Herbert (who I actually like) or Foreman.

gpphat

Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Bears have to potentially re-sign:

Mooney
Claypool
Ngakoue
JJ

If they sign 3 of them after a decent season that cap will get eaten into pretty quickly.

Unless Claypool balls out this year re-signing him is low on the totem pole. And as much as I like Mooney, will he really be that big of a factor on the cap? Ngakoue could be a bigger factor...but the Bears also have 2 first round picks that they could draft DL and WR and keep that cap cost low.

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Unless Claypool balls out this year re-signing him is low on the totem pole. And as much as I like Mooney, will he really be that big of a factor on the cap? Ngakoue could be a bigger factor...but the Bears also have 2 first round picks that they could draft DL and WR and keep that cap cost low.

Poles spent a 2nd on him. I can guarantee you if he plays well he is high on the priority list. They will keep money available.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Next year per overthecap the bears are 2nd in cap space with$86M in space, not sure all the logistics that go into the cap floor, but I would imagine they would need to hit that floor too. The Bears could give Taylor a similar contract that Chubb got, a $36M 3 year extension. guarantee a big chunk of it and have it hit this year and next, where by year 3 if he is injury prone or for whatever reason the Bears want to let him go it will be a minimal cap hit. Even with a contract like that, it wouldn't prevent the Bears from making any big name FA moves with the cap space the Bears have next year.

The only piece is the draft capital and Irsay may want a first but realistically it will end up being a 2nd round pick. I think it would still be worth a 2nd and maybe a 2025 pick and throw in either Herbert (who I actually like) or Foreman.
That salary cap includes the current rollover, which would be less with Taylor signed. But you're right, still quite a bit. If they did put a lot of that $ in 2023, though, and they would have to per your plan, it would really cut into their ability to make other moves throughout the season this year. They currently have around $15m, which would go down to probably $5m or so.

They don't have to hit a floor every year, it's on a rolling basis. Personally, I'd rather bolster the lines than RB.

bears51/40

Liked Posts:
I think it is going to be hard for Claypool to ball out this year because he may well be just fourth on this team in targets behind Moore, Mooney, and Kmet.