Official 2023 Training Camp thread

gpphat

2020 CCS Fantasy Football Champ (ESPN League)
Donator
CCS Overall Fantasy Football Champion
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Virginia Commonwealth Rams
Poles spent a 2nd on him. I can guarantee you if he plays well he is high on the priority list. They will keep money available.

Making a mistake in spending a 2nd on a WR is no reason to put an average at best WR high on any priority list other than cut candidates. What does Claypool bring to the table that a rookie 1st round WR wouldn't bring? What does Claypool bring that any other free agent WR next couldn't bring for similar or less money? What does Claypool bring to the table that Mooney doesn't already?

This coming offseason the Bear will keep money available for the potential number 2 WR across from Moore, but it won't be for Claypool.

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Making a mistake in spending a 2nd on a WR is no reason to put an average at best WR high on any priority list other than cut candidates. What does Claypool bring to the table that a rookie 1st round WR wouldn't bring? What does Claypool bring that any other free agent WR next couldn't bring for similar or less money? What does Claypool bring to the table that Mooney doesn't already?

This coming offseason the Bear will keep money available for the potential number 2 WR across from Moore, but it won't be for Claypool.

Nothing I say will convince you now obviously. But I still have high hopes for the kid.

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:

Claypool does have the jump ball ability that Mooney does not. But that's about it.

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Clay pool can run through DB’s and he had that drip and steal your girl rizz
This is true. Ccs makes fun of him for being in touch with his feminine side, and even call him a gaywad, but if you saw @Montucky in real life you'd know that it's all jealousy. Looking like a broke hobo does not equate to masculinity.

gpphat

Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
That salary cap includes the current rollover, which would be less with Taylor signed. But you're right, still quite a bit. If they did put a lot of that $ in 2023, though, and they would have to per your plan, it would really cut into their ability to make other moves throughout the season this year. They currently have around $15m, which would go down to probably $5m or so.

They don't have to hit a floor every year, it's on a rolling basis. Personally, I'd rather bolster the lines than RB.

I dont know the answer to this, but if you know please let me know...but how much do most teams spend on acquiring players during the year? With teams having practice squads and 52 player roster, I wouldn't imagine $5M being a death blow to the Bears ability to make moves, and restructuring current contracts and other cuts could clear needed cap space.

And I get wanting to bolster the lines and I agree, but what free agents are out there right now that would make a bigger impact than Taylor? At this point outside of a trade, I don't see there being a player that would be a must have this season.

gpphat

Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Nothing I say will convince you now obviously. But I still have high hopes for the kid.
Even if I am wrong on Claypool, do you think the Bears are going to spend that money on keeping both Mooney and Claypool? One of them will be the odd man out and even with what they would pay for that #2 WR, it shouldn't impact what the Bears can do if they were to pay JT.

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I dont know the answer to this, but if you know please let me know...but how much do most teams spend on acquiring players during the year? With teams having practice squads and 52 player roster, I wouldn't imagine $5M being a death blow to the Bears ability to make moves, and restructuring current contracts and other cuts could clear needed cap space.

And I get wanting to bolster the lines and I agree, but what free agents are out there right now that would make a bigger impact than Taylor? At this point outside of a trade, I don't see there being a player that would be a must have this season.

This is a move you make if you're close to winning a Super Bowl. I just can't bring myself to:

A: Spend a pick (or picks)
B: Spend lots of money

On a guy that:

A: Is coming off serious injury and has been overused since college
B: Plays the most replaceable position in the NFL

Would he make the Bears better? Yes! But I don't like the resources it would cost.

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Even if I am wrong on Claypool, do you think the Bears are going to spend that money on keeping both Mooney and Claypool? One of them will be the odd man out and even with what they would pay for that #2 WR, it shouldn't impact what the Bears can do if they were to pay JT.

Maybe. Depends on the market I guess. I'd rather pay for a WR than RB.

Spitta Andretti

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

we dont know this yet. would be much clearer after the season but i will say that last year isnt a good gauge of what that will be

dennehy

Liked Posts:

Teams usually like to keep a bit for potential trades, and signing vested vets after cuts (eg Josh Sitton). I think the Bears might be in this position, although I'm not sure how much teams spend on average.

I don't think that RB bolsters the roster much more (I think the depth the Bears have is fine), especially at the expense of draft capital and financial flexibility. As I mentioned above, I think Taylor isn't really suited to one cut, nor am I a proponent of paying big money to RBs. So I have some existing biases against it anyway.