Official 2023 Training Camp thread

gpphat

2020 CCS Fantasy Football Champ (ESPN League)
Donator
CCS Overall Fantasy Football Champion
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Virginia Commonwealth Rams
This is a move you make if you're close to winning a Super Bowl. I just can't bring myself to:

A: Spend a pick (or picks)
B: Spend lots of money

On a guy that:

A: Is coming off serious injury and has been overused since college
B: Plays the most replaceable position in the NFL

Would he make the Bears better? Yes! But I don't like the resources it would cost.

When teams have a franchise QB on a rookie contract, that is the time to spend that money on the WR and RB...if Fields makes that jump, this will be the cheapest the Bears will ever have Fields. And while i am optimistic the Bears can potentially make a jump, but with two first round picks and the Carolina one could end up being in the top 10-15, the Bears could potentially fill those holes in the upcoming draft that could push them to a playoff team. I'm not saying that the Bears will be a Super Bowl contender next year, odds are they arent...but they do have a foundation to make that jump if Fields makes that jump.

The Eagles last year were +2200 to win the Super Bowl, and then Hurts made the jump with the addition of a top tier WR. If Fields takes that step, an offense with Fields, Moore, and Taylor can be a very strong offense. I'm tempering my expectations and waiting to see how this season plays out, but if Fields doesn't make that jump....having an overpriced RB is not going to be the reason the Bears are not making the playoffs.

And yes Taylor has some injury concern, but he was 5th in yards/game...a healthy Taylor makes this team a lot better.

And yes RB is the most replaceable position in the NFL, so just replace him when his cap number makes sense to get rid of him. Most teams dont spend on RB because their resources are limited, they either don't have the extra picks or the cap space, not often a team has both to take this shot without it completely destroying the team in some aspect. The Bears can take that shot without it killing their future.

pdxbearsfan

Liked Posts:
His contract wont be the deciding factor for any team trying to decide on picking up Walker. His play on the other hand would be.
Not sure why he has been stinking up the place, by all accounts he was decent in Carolina last year, was signed by the
Bears ages ago so he should know the "O".

Spitta Andretti

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Hes not going to magically stop being bad, so I'd expect a similarly terrible performance from him. Peterman is better than him and that's saying a lot
i agree

just hope the bears don't make a stupid decision just because bagent is a rookie and they don't want a rookie being the backup

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Rise: Fire the head coach for his intense practices!
It is worth pointing out that the same people screaming this were also bitching about the prior head coach not being intense enough when he sat starters in preseason.