Official 2023 Training Camp thread

DC

Minister of Archaic Titillations
Donator
Liked Posts:
Guys, I'm on BetMGM right now and the over/under for Fields passing yardage is...2899.5. Are you freaking kidding me? Passing TDs is 17.5. Only question I have is...

How many loan sharks do you know? HAMMER THE OVER, BITCHES!

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Reps doesn't cure bad and splitting 2nd team reps with Sam Darnold isn't a path to better. How he ever got hyped into a 1st rd QB off of such limited tape is beyond me. One year of outstanding college production is rarely a great barometer( unfortunately, see Mitch Trubisky). How a low college level, minimal starts, year removed from playing QB goes #3 after trading 3 1st is criminal by the 49ers. And I can near guarantee Purdy is going to do a less douchey 2nd year Mac Jones-esque cliff dive this season.
He hasnt been bad so much as inconsistent. He has had 4 games with passer ratings of 117, 116, 58 and 50 the last one being in a Monsoon. Not unexpected of a 21-22 year old QB with little to no reps.

And yes I already said no idea what Niners were thinking. Far too green to take that high.

Dude had 318 throws his entire college career. Purdy had almost 5 times as many ie close to 1500 and is1 and a half years older as he turns 24 in December while Lance doesnt turn 24 until next May.

Last edited:

Payton34Sayers40

Liked Posts:
Two stacked teams but lets look at the WR's each had real quick.

Fields--C.Olave, Jameson Williams, JSB, Garrett Wilson.

Lawrence--Amari Rodgers, Cornell Powell (WHO) and.........................

I wouldn't use any single college game to pick between Fields and Lawrence, i would go off of what i've seen up to this point in the NFL.

Lawrence put up some pretty damn nice stats in that game though.

Now that Clemson defense was very good so love what Fields was able to do against them in a big game.
All the focus on skill is misplaced. You can’t overlook our horrible Oline play for all the years JF1 has been QB1. Trevor Lawrence has been given much more time in the passing game than JF1 has been given.

Hopefully that changes this year…….

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
All the focus on skill is misplaced. You can’t overlook our horrible Oline play for all the years JF1 has been QB1. Trevor Lawrence has been given much more time in the passing game than JF1 has been given.

Hopefully that changes this year…….
The OL play hasn't been as bad as fans on CCS have made it out to be if you can combine both the eye test and the PFF grades. Hasn't been great or even good but not as bad as many made it out to be. Fields has a big issue of holding the ball too long which makes the OL look bad. Even with that i still see T.Lawrence as the better QB as of now and if i had to choose right now i'm taking Lawrence. Like i said that could and hopefully will change by the halfway point of this season.

SugarWalls

Liked Posts:
The OL play hasn't been as bad as fans on CCS have made it out to be if you can combine both the eye test and the PFF grades. Hasn't been great or even good but not as bad as many made it out to be. Fields has a big issue of holding the ball too long which makes the OL look bad. Even with that i still see T.Lawrence as the better QB as of now and if i had to choose right now i'm taking Lawrence. Like i said that could and hopefully will change by the halfway point of this season.
They drafted a tackle last year, a tackle this year, brought in a vet guard, drafted a guard last year as well, also brought in leatherwood, moved whitehair to center and he’s probably in the way out, the starting center for a majority of the time just signed as a back up for another team.

It’s been bad.

Canth

Liked Posts:

The eye test for me with the offensive line was that when the offense was in a known passing situation, especially when needed for entire drive like at the end of a half or the game...they did not hold up. And imo, that is really the difference and how best to highlight the offensive line issues last year and really the past couple of years.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Guys, I'm on BetMGM right now and the over/under for Fields passing yardage is...2899.5. Are you freaking kidding me? Passing TDs is 17.5. Only question I have is...

2850.5/18.5 on DraftKings. He’s also +1400 to throw over 4k.

Reactions: DC

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Or you just don't like that it all makes too much sense!? We won't know that answer unless you answer honestly........so i won't expect to know.

Thanks for reading.
Honestly, I just don’t care. Claim whatever you like.

Black Rainbow

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

At what point do you expect Fields to surpass the yardage and TDs?

Like week 11, 12?

napo55

Liked Posts:
They are rotating snaps at 2nd string. I doubt they let Purdy play much during preseason so he will get a lot of game snaps I bet.

It is the Niners D ie arguably best in the NFL. All the QBs have struggled really.

View attachment 30213
Historically, the SF passing game has been consistently hugely superior to the Bears.

Maybe we should wait a bit before gloating about TC results.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
He hasnt been bad so much as inconsistent. He has had 4 games with passer ratings of 117, 116, 58 and 50 the last one being in a Monsoon. Not unexpected of a 21-22 year old QB with little to no reps.

And yes I already said no idea what Niners were thinking. Far too green to take that high.

Dude had 318 throws his entire college career. Purdy had almost 5 times as many ie close to 1500 and is1 and a half years older as he turns 24 in December while Lance doesnt turn 24 until next May.
HE had 99 HS attempts, then 31 attempts in the 2 season sandwiching his 287 attempt in what should be called $34M season. He needs reps, but for NFL longevity those should have come at NDSU. Hard to say a guy made a wrong decision by banking $34M, and he may have shit the bed the next season at NDSU and dropped like a rock, but $34M is RB money, and we all know about RB money. It safe to say he won't be getting an Allen, Herbert, Burrow, or likey Lawerace/Fields $260M after third yr extension and more likely will follow the Darnald path to obscurity.

pdxbearsfan

Liked Posts:
It was always terrible as fuck. I understood taking Zach, because he had great tape but played garbage teams.

Lance played in the MVC, Fields played in the Big 10. Lance hadn't played in forever, except for one exhibition game he looked like trash in.

Fields played in the national championship.

They were legit the same type of player, but fields showed he could do it at a much higher level and was much more proven + polished.
Yes but, remember JF had poor work habits.

pdxbearsfan

Liked Posts:
My memory goes back to Cunningham. Do you really want to compare the Eagles’ success to the sorry ass Bears over the last 30 years?
No comparison just thought the year in and year out was a little strong, it's fine, just nitpicking.

pdxbearsfan

Liked Posts:
There has been quite a bit of anti Velus Jones rhetoric on this board. It sounds like he’s worked incredibly hard to get better but most of all comfortable in his role and knowledge of the offense.

Also, he’s been putting in the work to improve as a punt returner which was an obvious weakness last season.

He really flashed as a kick returner last season. If he blossoms this year as a punt returner and receiver, the Bears become even more difficult to defend this season. His size and speed have to be respected if he’s utilizing those tools effectively.

Here’s some highlights from a Fishbain piece on him from The Athletic:

“It really set me free when I stopped worrying about what everybody had to think about me.”

He had a 44-yard catch against the Billsin Week 16. He ran for a 42-yard touchdown against the Vikings in Week 18. And he finished third in the NFL in kickoff returns, averaging 27.59 yards per return.

“I would say it was close to the end of the season when I was still stressed out, thinking about things in the past,” he said. “But there’s nothing you can do about that. I finished the season on a high note. Had a touchdown in the last game of the season. I just told myself, ‘Have fun. Play football.’”

And…

But Jones also wants to win back that punt-return job.

During the offseason, he did the standard work of catching punts off a JUGS machine, but then he visited Bears punter Trenton Gill in North Carolina. Gill was joined by a few other NFL punters, and Jones spent days catching punts, focusing on “beating the ball to the point.”

On his last day with the punters, he caught 110 balls and dropped only two.

“Just look the ball in, beat the ball to the spot, because when I catch it, honestly,” Jones paused, before adding, “I feel like I’m the best returner in the league.”

More at this link:

pdxbearsfan

Liked Posts:
There has been quite a bit of anti Velus Jones rhetoric on this board. It sounds like he’s worked incredibly hard to get better but most of all comfortable in his role and knowledge of the offense.

Also, he’s been putting in the work to improve as a punt returner which was an obvious weakness last season.

He really flashed as a kick returner last season. If he blossoms this year as a punt returner and receiver, the Bears become even more difficult to defend this season. His size and speed have to be respected if he’s utilizing those tools effectively.

Here’s some highlights from a Fishbain piece on him from The Athletic:

“It really set me free when I stopped worrying about what everybody had to think about me.”

He had a 44-yard catch against the Billsin Week 16. He ran for a 42-yard touchdown against the Vikings in Week 18. And he finished third in the NFL in kickoff returns, averaging 27.59 yards per return.

“I would say it was close to the end of the season when I was still stressed out, thinking about things in the past,” he said. “But there’s nothing you can do about that. I finished the season on a high note. Had a touchdown in the last game of the season. I just told myself, ‘Have fun. Play football.’”

And…

But Jones also wants to win back that punt-return job.

During the offseason, he did the standard work of catching punts off a JUGS machine, but then he visited Bears punter Trenton Gill in North Carolina. Gill was joined by a few other NFL punters, and Jones spent days catching punts, focusing on “beating the ball to the point.”

On his last day with the punters, he caught 110 balls and dropped only two.

“Just look the ball in, beat the ball to the spot, because when I catch it, honestly,” Jones paused, before adding, “I feel like I’m the best returner in the league.”

More at this link:

I really hope he comes on strong, with all the hard work he deserves it. Can you imagine if he turns it on as well as Scott along with the
other WR's and run game?? top 12-15 Offense this year?