Official 2023 Training Camp thread

BornAnAngryBearsFan

TF you lookin' at?!?!
Liked Posts:
I'm trying to keep my excitement in check, but it really seems like the Fields/Moore connection is coming along nicely.
Same here. If the improvements to the offensive line allow Fields to revert to his NCAA "gunslinger" form, then we as fans may be looking at the next big superstar NFL QB developing.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Happiness comes from within, not without..........what makes one think he'll be happy in another place? I say proceed with caution.
The rumor is that the reason they're looking to trade him is they can't agree on a new contract so maybe that's all it takes for him to regain his happiness from within. That's also another reason why i can't see Poles trading for him with not only having to give up valuable draft picks to get him but also having to give him a new big deal.

dentfan

No gods! No Masters!
Liked Posts:

UChiLAbear

"The Drop"
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. UCLA Bruins
....32nd ranked 1st team D.
Well, I say Da Bears' don't finish lower than 30th this year in total 'D'........lol...........................................You stated a fact, which I agree with, but last season ISN'T this season.....with their draft picks & FAs, I'm saying Bears jump to between 16th and 18th. Keep this and shove it in my face if they still suck. Don't worry you won't hurt my feelings....lol.........growth in life is facing one's mistakes...

CaliBearFan

Liked Posts:
There has been quite a bit of anti Velus Jones rhetoric on this board. It sounds like he’s worked incredibly hard to get better but most of all comfortable in his role and knowledge of the offense.

Also, he’s been putting in the work to improve as a punt returner which was an obvious weakness last season.

He really flashed as a kick returner last season. If he blossoms this year as a punt returner and receiver, the Bears become even more difficult to defend this season. His size and speed have to be respected if he’s utilizing those tools effectively.

Here’s some highlights from a Fishbain piece on him from The Athletic:

“It really set me free when I stopped worrying about what everybody had to think about me.”

He had a 44-yard catch against the Billsin Week 16. He ran for a 42-yard touchdown against the Vikings in Week 18. And he finished third in the NFL in kickoff returns, averaging 27.59 yards per return.

“I would say it was close to the end of the season when I was still stressed out, thinking about things in the past,” he said. “But there’s nothing you can do about that. I finished the season on a high note. Had a touchdown in the last game of the season. I just told myself, ‘Have fun. Play football.’”

And…

But Jones also wants to win back that punt-return job.

During the offseason, he did the standard work of catching punts off a JUGS machine, but then he visited Bears punter Trenton Gill in North Carolina. Gill was joined by a few other NFL punters, and Jones spent days catching punts, focusing on “beating the ball to the point.”

On his last day with the punters, he caught 110 balls and dropped only two.

“Just look the ball in, beat the ball to the spot, because when I catch it, honestly,” Jones paused, before adding, “I feel like I’m the best returner in the league.”

More at this link:

I'm his #1 fan. Velus all day. I've got receipts.
He'll never be a true #1 or even #2 receiver whatever that means but he's gonna be a thrill and add to some fun Sundays. He'll touch you in places that you thought only Hester or Fields could.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
he's has a post-graduate degree, I forget in what, however....the man is very smart....I'll bet he'll learn the playbook. If not already.
He had to do something to stay in college athletics for 6 years. I'm not saying that he's not committed nor a hard worker. I like the guy but it took him a while at both schools and obviously here.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I'm his #1 fan. Velus all day. I've got receipts.
He'll never be a true #1 or even #2 receiver whatever that means but he's gonna be a thrill and add to some fun Sundays. He'll touch you in places that you thought only Hester or Fields could.
That's the idea.:)

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
He had to do something to stay in college athletics for 6 years. I'm not saying that he's not committed nor a hard worker. I like the guy but it took him a while at both schools and obviously here.

I wouldnt really say it has taken him a while in the NFL. He hasnt even played his 2nd season yet. Used to be that WRs took like 2-3 years to develop in the NFL. Fans seem to be comparing him to elite WRs that developed faster than that.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I wouldnt really say it has taken him a while in the NFL. He hasnt even played his 2nd season yet. Used to be that WRs took like 2-3 years to develop in the NFL. Fans seem to be comparing him to elite WRs that developed faster than that.
He was taken off of punts which is a primary of what he was drafted for.

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Based on what I've been reading, the offense had themselves another solid day overall. Don't like seeing any Fields interceptions, but the connection to DJ Moore seems to be the real deal. I've been saying for a while that Moore is going to have the same kind of effect on Fields as Brandon Marshall had on Cutler this season.

Fields may end up as a Peyton Manning-type, passing-wise: throws the occasional ugly int, but will pass for so many darn yards and tds it absolutely will not fucking matter.

Moses Moreno

RB1 - VELUS JONES JR
Liked Posts:
Thinking about where the passing game was at this point last year:

They were both lacking in talent and really injured which made building any semblance of cohesion really freaking difficult.

Moore is a bonafide #1 and 100% healthy in the prime years of an NFL players career but beyond that Mooney, Claypool, Kmet and Tonyan have all had pretty high peaks thus far in their NFL careers and both Jones/Scott are physically impressive enough to justify a spot and that leaves Pettis/ESB both fighting for that last spot where they belong.

dbldrew

Liked Posts:
I really don't understand why folds doesnt take the nice 4 yard checkdown. Why is he holding onto the ball so long and trying to go deep?

Right @dbldrew ?
because he struggled with processing what was happening on the field and was slow to react. Lets hope he has figured it out because him not understanding when and where to take the check down didn't really work out well for him last year now did it?

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
He was taken off of punts which is a primary of what he was drafted for.

It was still his rookie year. And he had 18 Punt Returns in 6 years in college (all in final year) so it was still new to him. By contrast he had 122 Kick Returns in college. So not really a surprise he struggled at times with fielding punts.

It should also be noted that Jones muffs came against 2 left footed punters which he likely didnt see a lot of in his 18 punts. Probably part of the reason the Bears sigend a left footed punter this offseason so Jones could get reps.

Last edited:

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Yeah, hopefully he can get that cleaned up. There's an elite LT coming out of Penn State who has no trouble at all with his anchor.

My hope is that improvements all across the line allow the Bears to give Braxton help all season, and next year they draft a stud LT in round 1.

That said, I know this can take a couple years, so even if he's not perfect, as long as Jones can win about 50% of his 1 on 1 battles, that's a significant improvement from last year.

napo55

Liked Posts:
because he struggled with processing what was happening on the field and was slow to react. Lets hope he has figured it out because him not understanding when and where to take the check down didn't really work out well for him last year now did it?
Well, he had the same reputation for holdong on to the ball too long at Ohio State. So can he change an ingrained tendency with strong coaching?