Official 2023 Training Camp thread

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
If this translates in any way to actual production, DJ/Mooney/Claypool/Velus could be a pretty good group. Also excited about Scott. Justin year 2 in the same system. Then you throw in Kmet and Tonyan. And the RB room. And upgrades to the OL. Things could go from bad to pretty fucking good quickly in terms offensive production.

The Kool-Aid is flowing strong tonight boys. I'm so fucking excited for week 1.

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
If this translates in any way to actual production, DJ/Mooney/Claypool/Velus could be a pretty good group. Also excited about Scott. Justin year 2 in the same system. Then you throw in Kmet and Tonyan. And the RB room. And upgrades to the OL. Things could go from bad to pretty fucking good quickly in terms offensive production.

The Kool-Aid is flowing strong tonight boys. I'm so fucking excited for week 1.

I might be the first person to ever OD on the shit

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
It was still his rookie year. And he had 18 Punt Returns in 6 years in college (all in final year) so it was still new to him. By contrast he had 122 Kick Returns in college. So not really a surprise he struggled at times with fielding punts.

It should also be noted that Jones muffs came against 2 left footed punters which he likely didnt see a lot of in his 18 punts. Probably part of the reason the Bears sigend a left footed punter this offseason so Jones could get reps.
It came out today that Velus went out with Gill one day where he found that Gill had invited several NFL punters. He fielded over 100 punts with only 2 hitting the ground. Not perfect, but certainly an improvement. He also got to learn how to read the flight of the ball and, thus, was more effective fielding them.

I would certainly not rule him out of anything on the Bears offense or special teams. I could imagine him sometimes going against another team's 4th CB and, yes, I could imagine him beating that CB in that situation. Would it happen often? I don't think so, but having another speedster to give starters a breather is not a bad thing.

The Bears just might have the best one through 5 WR group in the NFL, certainly the fastest.

Bears4Ever_34

Liked Posts:
Irsay is such a dolt. Imagine drafting a generational talent at QB (Andrew Luck) and then never putting a priority on protecting him such that he took such a beating he had to retire early.
And then hiring Chris Ballard. Lol

Moses Moreno

RB1 - VELUS JONES JR
Liked Posts:
Irsay is such a dolt. Imagine drafting a generational talent at QB (Andrew Luck) and then never putting a priority on protecting him such that he took such a beating he had to retire early.
Man, I wish we could have gotten Indy to bite on that first overall pick because that dude is such a fucking moron.

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
Same here. If the improvements to the offensive line allow Fields to revert to his NCAA "gunslinger" form, then we as fans may be looking at the next big superstar NFL QB developing.
I will put up with an increase in turnovers if he puts real effort into developing his downfield game over this season. With no pass rush, seeing him drop the ball in over the DB is spectacular. Love it. Moore is practicing like he is getting ready to rack up 1400 yards.

In a live game, with opponents in his face, I want him to keep ripping it even if they are making plays on him. I can live with 15 interceptions this year.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
Week 12 puts him at roughly 2,900 yards or 240 yards a game. 4K passer. Although it's a big increase over year two, it's still just 240 yards a game. That ain't shit in 2023. I'd say by the 13th game he's hit that. In regards to TD's...game 9. Two/game.

What are your predictions?
Don't pooh pooh the 240 yards per game stat. Did you know that there were only 12 QBs in 2022 with an average of 240 Y/G or higher, with Mahomes on top at an average of 308.8?

Getting to 4000 yards in a year is no walk in the park either. If Fields were to get "only 4000 yards", he would be, if all other passers kept their 2022 numbers, a top 10 QB in yards, not just top 13 in Y/G, landing at 10.

So Fields took up the challenge, like a true warrior for those Spartan fans, of not only improving as a passer, but improving enough to be a Top 10 to Top 15 passer.

Seeing that he was ranked at 27 in yards in 2022, he was bold enough to halve those numbers and end up in the top half of the NFL QBs.

Takes some balls.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
well anyone can change and improve, but its no secret that I dont think he can. Would love to be proven wrong and be made to eat crow all year but we will see..
Did you believe that Josh Allen could improve in Buffalo?

If so, what is the difference in the two situations (not arguing, just curious on your take)?

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
No fucking shit Clay?
If that beer-swilling guy in the stands with the huge beer-belly could suddenly get on the field, make the team and get 20+ sacks on limited reps in 2023, the Bears defense would improve tremendously.

JoJo

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
And then hiring Chris Ballard. Lol

I can't believe what a false choice that was back in the day. Whole board fighting over Pace and Ballard.

And they were both ass.

Feels like we finally got a real one in Poles, but already having the QB is a major part of the battle.

BornAnAngryBearsFan

TF you lookin' at?!?!
Liked Posts:
I will put up with an increase in turnovers if he puts real effort into developing his downfield game over this season. With no pass rush, seeing him drop the ball in over the DB is spectacular. Love it. Moore is practicing like he is getting ready to rack up 1400 yards.

In a live game, with opponents in his face, I want him to keep ripping it even if they are making plays on him. I can live with 15 interceptions this year.
Absolutely, that means that opposing defenses have to respect, and cover, the deep/intermediate areas of the field.

RiDLer80

First time, long time.
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Miami Hurricanes
  2. Northern Illinois Huskies
I think Stevenson will benefit greatly from having the pads on. I think teams are limited in his physical that can be early in training camp.

He's a physical corner. Being able to put hands on receivers (at the LOS) to reroute will help his game.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
I was going to start calling him Mr Sunshine after that quote but now one GIF has forever ruined it.
dancing-the-brummies-gif.30219