Official 2023 Training Camp thread

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
Glad we're on the same page there.

To the point, having a superior talent at WR to lead a quality corps of receiving talent could easily have downstream benefits for every other receiving target. Everyone can agree that Fields needs to rip it more, but part of that comes from trusting the receiver to make a play, and another big portion comes from having to think less due to familiarity.

Both of these should improve. Fields should be confident in his connection with Moore, and he should be more comfortable in the offense.

I think the eye test, and not passing statistics, are going to tell us where his growth is taking him. All the same, I think we can expect significant improvement in yards when our starters are Moore, Mooney and Claypool and not Pettis and St Brown. With that in mind, I think fans have every reason to be optimistic for next year.
We are going to find out one way or another this year. It is Fields 2nd year in the system and he has a ton of talent to work with on the offensive side of the ball. And we have a great insurance policy if it doesn't work out with 2 first round draft picks next year.

I think Fields is going to be the franchise QB based on a combination of what I have seen on the field, his composure and work ethic, and his raw talent. But I am not nearly as confident as some people on here who even go as far as to call out the doubters as haters. This is not a slam dunk. There is a decent chance he is not the guy. Luckily we are going to find out A LOT this year.

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
We are going to find out one way or another this year. It is Fields 2nd year in the system and he has a ton of talent to work with on the offensive side of the ball. And we have a great insurance policy if it doesn't work out with 2 first round draft picks next year.

I think Fields is going to be the franchise QB based on a combination of what I have seen on the field, his composure and work ethic, and his raw talent. But I am not nearly as confident as some people on here who even go as far as to call out the doubters as haters. This is not a slam dunk. There is a decent chance he is not the guy. Luckily we are going to find out A LOT this year.
Dig your post, I bolded two small parts to reply.

Every first round QB is a swing for the fences. I am happy that this attempt is on a young man who has an incredible work ethic. It is a lot easier to root for him knowing that he puts everything he can into doing better by his teammates. This work ethic is the foundation of excellent leadership, and you can see early returns with how his teammates have rallied around him. This work ethic gains respect from his opponents, and you can hear it in how they talk about Fields to the cameras.

I dont think we had this kind of drive to improve out of Trubisky, or Cutler, or Grossman. We certainly didnt out of Cade McNown.

Last edited:

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I stopped reading here. sorry but you are the wrong messenger when it comes to anything football/journalism.
And you are extremely gullible when it comes to anything a journalist says.

Black Rainbow

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Glad we're on the same page there.

To the point, having a superior talent at WR to lead a quality corps of receiving talent could easily have downstream benefits for every other receiving target. Everyone can agree that Fields needs to rip it more, but part of that comes from trusting the receiver to make a play, and another big portion comes from having to think less due to familiarity.

Both of these should improve. Fields should be confident in his connection with Moore, and he should be more comfortable in the offense.

I think the eye test, and not passing statistics, are going to tell us where his growth is taking him. All the same, I think we can expect significant improvement in yards when our starters are Moore, Mooney and Claypool and not Pettis and St Brown. With that in mind, I think fans have every reason to be optimistic for next year.
Cool. We're in agreement.

I know it's hard to believe, but I'm excited for next year too. The eye test for me is:

1. Not holding the ball too long waiting for WRs to be "Ohio State open." You're simply not going to get that in the NFL and need to make quick, tight-window throws and trust your WRs.

2. Falling back on that elongated wind-up or pulling the ball down and running when the shit hits the fan. It's very easy to fall back into old habits that worked in college, but won't long term in the NFL. (He absolutely started doing this in the final games of the year.)

3. No more rookie-ish fumbles. Secure the effing ball. You're a 3 year vet.

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Cool. We're in agreement.

I know it's hard to believe, but I'm excited for next year too. The eye test for me is:

1. Not holding the ball too long waiting for WRs to be "Ohio State open." You're simply not going to get that in the NFL and need to make quick, tight-window throws and trust your WRs.

2. Falling back on that elongated wind-up or pulling the ball down and running when the shit hits the fan. It's very easy to fall back into old habits that worked in college, but won't long term in the NFL. (He absolutely started doing this in the final games of the year.)

3. No more rookie-ish fumbles. Secure the effing ball. You're a 3 year vet.
Agreed on all of this, with the exception of #2 to a degree. The threat he poses when doing this is huge, and it would be dumb to strip an athlete of an elite attribute. But this shouldn't be the default, we agree on that.

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
And you are extremely gullible when it comes to anything a journalist says.
Dude, you're one of the generals of the DaBearsBlog army. A clout chasing wannabe with no access into Halas Hall. You've been caught repeatedly giving big opinions on players/units/teams/coaches who you later admit to not even watching.

Also link to me being gullible?

dbldrew

Liked Posts:
You can find breakdowns like that for any QB in the league.

I’ll bet you don’t evaluate him looking at all 22 and even if you did, you don’t know his progressions and what the route options are for the receivers based on coverage and leverage.

He’s a chunk play hunter who happens to work behind a leaky front line with receivers that struggle to separate. It’s a bad combination that Poles has worked to remedy.

He definitely needs to improve by taking what the defense is willing to give but I still want him to go after the big plays if they’re available.

I’ve seen what he can do with protection and some real weapons. I believe he shows considerable improvement this year.

This guy is whip smart and he’s an elite physical specimen. That’s a rare combination. Plus, he’s the hardest worker on the team. Guys with talent, smarts and drive succeed.

do those other QBs only average 149 ypg?

Black Rainbow

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Agreed on all of this, with the exception of #2 to a degree. The threat he poses when doing this is huge, and it would be dumb to strip an athlete of an elite attribute. But this shouldn't be the default, we agree on that.
To be clear, I'm talking about taking off prematurely. I have no problem with him taking off if an imminent sack is coming.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
It came out today that Velus went out with Gill one day where he found that Gill had invited several NFL punters. He fielded over 100 punts with only 2 hitting the ground. Not perfect, but certainly an improvement. He also got to learn how to read the flight of the ball and, thus, was more effective fielding them.

I would certainly not rule him out of anything on the Bears offense or special teams. I could imagine him sometimes going against another team's 4th CB and, yes, I could imagine him beating that CB in that situation. Would it happen often? I don't think so, but having another speedster to give starters a breather is not a bad thing.

The Bears just might have the best one through 5 WR group in the NFL, certainly the fastest.

Yeah read that story the other say. Miami's is probably faster as Hill, Waddle and Chosen are 4.2-4.3 guys. Also probably have the 2 fastest RBs and Mostert and Achane are 4.3 guys as well.9

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Because Fields was closer to his ceiling coming in.

And also, why do we always think our QBs are going to have a historic turnaround like Fields to Allen, Trubisky to Drew Brees? Just because it's happened twice doesn't mean it's likely. I'd also add that Lamar Jackson was a raw prospect coming in too.

BTW, we had this same conversation during Mitch Trubisky's offseason going into year 3. After Mitch's 3,200 yard performance you thought he was a shoe-in for 4k or very close - he regressed.

But he wasnt closer to his ceiling because no one thought he was a 1k yard runner coming out of OSU. His ceiling has gone up considerably now.

Last edited:

msadows

Liked Posts:
But he wasnt closer to his ceiling because no one thought he was a 1k yard runner coming out of OSU. His ceiling has gone up considerable now.

I try not to read black rainbow stuff, because it makes my brane hurt, but his first sentence instantly made me laugh.

He fucked around last year and became the most explosive runner in the NFL.

Imagine what other superpowers he could develop?

gallagher

Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
To be clear, I'm talking about taking off prematurely. I have no problem with him taking off if an imminent sack is coming.
Not to be nit picky, but there are plenty of situations where taking off prematurely are still to a large advantage of Fields.

He is coached to see the moment he should be the ball carrier in a read option play. There are going to be passes called where he will see a moment to be the ball carrier and pick up either a first down or a big chunk of yardage. There are going to be times where it looks premature, but he took off for a good reason. I am open to that, and that part of the eye test would be the biggest source of disagreement.

Otherwise, yes, I think we are all in on what is reasonable for the "eye test." There are always bad fumbles, but everyone knows when it becomes a problem that Fields is neglecting to improve. There are always interceptions where you want that pass back, but he has to start taking shots in tight windows as part of his routine to get into rhythm. And he needs to pick up his pace on getting it to his safety valve when the defense isn't giving him a good throw.

gallagher

Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
I try not to read black rainbow stuff, because it makes my brane hurt, but his first sentence instantly made me laugh.

He fucked around last year and became the most explosive runner in the NFL.

Imagine what other superpowers he could develop?
I saw Fields and Moore in New York looking for spiders, and now I wonder if I was wrong to presume that they were arachnid enthusiasts. Web-slinging powers will help Fields in holding onto the ball and recovering fumbles, and Moore will have a catch-radius that puts Megatron to shame. Not Calvin Johnson, mind you, I mean the Decepticon.