Official 2023 Training Camp thread

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Still there? What suggests he ever had NFL starter talent? One great season against FCS talent? Surrounded by a lifetime of not throwing a totality of another seasons worth of passes? His single NFL game with over 3 throws that he completed more than 52% of his passes? It's way more likely his talent was being 10X's the athlete of other FCS players not raw NFL quality QB talent.
His upside is a poor man's Anthony Richardson and Anthony Richardson is a huge question mark as an NFL passer.

"Friday's first attempt, for example, was a quickie toss to tight end Brayden Willis that ended up in the dirt. His second throw was just as off target," Barrows wrote. "He had tailback Jordan Mason running a shallow route across the line of scrimmage and threw it in front of him by four feet."

I didn't say he had NFL starter talent as I already said the Niners did a disservice to him drafting him that high.

I said he had talent, is the youngest QB going into to their 3rd year and incredibly inexperienced. The latter makes it hard to judge because again the dude only has about 500 throws across HS, college and the NFL. Guys get 500 passes in 1 year. He has taken 7 years to get there. So he is extremely raw.

Last edited:

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
Also a large risk of being out for the season.
That is the risk you just have to live with. Like it or not, taking off for this purpose is going to happen and it is part of the risks he is already comfortable taking. These runs will probably convert a third down in every game and we will both jump out of our seats cheering when it happens.

Editing to say - If Fields recognizes the blitz pre-snap and knows his protection is 1-on-1 across the board, sees that every DB on one side of the field has their backed turned before he completes his drop, and takes off before any receiving option turns to see the QB, he will make another highlight play and maybe get a touchdown. That one could easily look like he is running prematurely, yet picks up a big play. I don't have to make a bet that we are both jumping up and cheering for that too.

Last edited:

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
I didn't say he had NFL starter talent as I already said the Niners did a disservice to him drafting him that high.

I said he had talent, is young for a QB going into to his 3rd year and incredibly inexperienced. The latter makes it hard to judge because again the dude only has about 500 throws across HS, college and the NFL. Guys get 500 passes in 1 year. He has taken 7 years to get there. So he is extremely raw.
Ha, so you re saying absolutely nothing? @DanielCCSBears has talent...almost none beyond being able to put letters together that for actual words(most of the time), but it's talent. Very @remydat of you to suggest something while not say anything to allow for a future Clintinesque definition of is type vortex. To to jet out of this disc

Black Rainbow

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
That is the risk you just have to live with. Like it or not, taking off for this purpose is going to happen and it is part of the risks he is already comfortable taking. These runs will probably convert a third down in every game and we will both jump out of our seats cheering when it happens.

Editing to say - If Fields recognizes the blitz pre-snap and knows his protection is 1-on-1 across the board, sees that every DB on one side of the field has their backed turned before he completes his drop, and takes off before any receiving option turns to see the QB, he will make another highlight play and maybe get a touchdown. That one could easily look like he is running prematurely, yet picks up a big play. I don't have to make a bet that we are both jumping up and cheering for that too.
When he gets "Trey Lanced" you will second guess this take.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Ha, so you re saying absolutely nothing? @DanielCCSBears has talent...almost none beyond being able to put letters together that for actual words(most of the time), but it's talent. Very @remydat of you to suggest something while not say anything to allow for a future Clintinesque definition of is type vortex. To to jet out of this disc

No I am saying it is too early to judge because there really isn't enough data. I doubt you watched him in HS or college so you are making grand claims based on 102 throws scattered across 2 NFL seasons. You are free to do so but I stand by my opinion that no one really knows what the kid can become because he has played so little and is still one of the youngest QBs in the NFL.

Last edited:

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
When he gets "Trey Lanced" you will second guess this take.
Every QB that cannot run like a gazelle faces the same risk of getting knocked out for the season because they can't call their own number. And his ability to just run with it because he can will always pull defenders out of their spot in the passing game. Taking off is an acceptable risk. Every time it works, you are going to jump for joy.

Black Rainbow

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Flip side of that is Lamar Jackson's season ending knee injury while throwing from the pocket. Football is a brutal sport, and you can get hurt anytime, anywhere on the field.
There's decades of longevity at QB playing into their late 30s and early 40s. It's guys who threw from the pocket. Manning, Brady, Marino, Elway.

...then you got RGIII and Cam Newton.

msadows

Liked Posts:
There's decades of longevity at QB playing into their late 30s and early 40s. It's guys who threw from the pocket. Manning, Brady, Marino, Elway.

...then you got RGIII and Cam Newton.

So what you are saying, is that black QB's are not capable of playing into their 30's?

Got it.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
My hope is that improvements all across the line allow the Bears to give Braxton help all season, and next year they draft a stud LT in round 1.

That said, I know this can take a couple years, so even if he's not perfect, as long as Jones can win about 50% of his 1 on 1 battles, that's a significant improvement from last year.
You're that down on Braxton?

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
No I am saying it is too early to judge because there really isn't enough data. I doubt you watched him in HS or college so you are making grand claims based on 102 throws scattered across 2 NFL seasons. You are free to do so but I stand by my opinion that no one really knows what the kid can become because he has played so little.
No, I am basing my opinion on the fact that Kyle Shanahan and John Lynch have relegated a 1st rd pick that cost 3 1st rd picks to 3rd string reps and professed their dedication to last years Mr Irrelevant, something that would not be done if they saw any chance that
As you likely have seen near just a little of his play, you are basically g your opinion on nothing more than his previous draft status, something those closest to him seemed to have moved on from, regardless of how it makes their choosing him look.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
No, I am basing my opinion on the fact that Kyle Shanahan and John Lynch have relegated a 1st rd pick that cost 3 1st rd picks to 3rd string reps and professed their dedication to last years Mr Irrelevant, something that would not be done if they saw any chance that
As you likely have seen near just a little of his play, you are basically g your opinion on nothing more than his previous draft status, something those closest to him seemed to have moved on from, regardless of how it makes their choosing him look.

We already agree he was drafted too high so you are vortexing about something we agree on.

They have not relegated him to 3rd string reps. Before Purdy was healthy he was getting 1st team reps and now that Purdy is back he is splitting 2nd team reps with Darnold.

Last year's Mr Irrelevant was one of the better QBs over the period he played. His draft status is irrelevant. He also is older than Lance despite being drafted a year later and has 5 times as many throws as Lance did coming out of college ie 1500 vs 300.

He is 1st team today. Pads arent even on yet. LMFAO!

Last edited:

Black Rainbow

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
And his ability to just run with it because he can will always pull defenders out of their spot in the passing game. Taking off is an acceptable risk. Every time it works, you are going to jump for joy.
Until he doesn't see someone coming and gets blindsided in the open field. He's not Barry Sanders.

But let's celebrate a few 1st downs while he's out for the season or has to retire prematurely.

pdxbearsfan

Liked Posts:
If teams are already unwilling to sign RB's to major extensions from their own teams, they're even less likely to spend draft picks to get one from another team, and then sign that guy to a massive extension. Taylor is kind of screwed.
Thats true and all the articles suggesting the Bears should trade Herbert and a bunch of draft picks for him is beyond bullshit, click bate.