Official 2023 Training Camp thread

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
And what draft picks will you also be adding to go with those two RB's?

Considering I have to pay him like 13m a year none. Colts can go fuck themselves if they want a draft pick as cant expect an early round draft pick after claiming you dont want to pay Taylor because RBs are not worth it.

SugarWalls

Liked Posts:
That really doesnt explain it though. He only had 100 throws in High School because he started playing QB late. Hence why his Div I offers were for WR and CB not QB.

He redshirted in 2018 and then had 67% comp with 28 TDs and 0 Ints in 2019 setting an NCAA record. He missed 2020 due to Covid and hasnt played much in the NFL due to injury. So not sure it is fair to blame accuracy when he was 67% his one full year at QB.

Of his 4 games in the NFL one was in a Monsoon where both he and Fields waa below 50% passing. Otherwise he has 2 games lest than 60% and one game where he was at 69%. That isnt really enough to go off off. It would be like judging Fields before he had a chance to develop 2nd half of last year. He played like shit the first few games of 2022. Lance hasnt had a chance to play a lot to see if he can turn the corner.

Lmao wut??? Lance was not a prolific passer and never has been talked up to be one. He has a strong arm and was pegged as an athlete. He’s not a great thrower of the football.

He can’t work the short or intermediate game and that’s why he won’t start, especially not in SF where the coach expects the qb to be mistake free.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
You keep saying "before the pads go on" like not wearing restrictive body armor and the freedom from fear of being hit by a 270 beast is a negative. You do understand that 7 on 7 and throwing where DLman jog past you are advantages and dirting a ball to an outlet guy and firing 4 yards wide of a simple crossing pattern on 2 of the entirety of the 4 throws your HC chose to see from him is not from lack of pads and an actual defensive rush,don't you?

You do understand the Niners are arguably the best D in the NFL and as I showed all the QBs are struggling against them? So I think the better judge will be how he performs in preseason.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Lmao wut??? Lance was not a prolific passer and never has been talked up to be one. He has a strong arm and was pegged as an athlete. He’s not a great thrower of the football.

He can’t work the short or intermediate game and that’s why he won’t start, especially not in SF where the coach expects the qb to be mistake free.
Prolific and accurate are 2 different things. Fields was not a prolific passer last year either. Nor in college really as his high was 354 compared to 318 for Lance. Doesnt mean Fields isnt accurate.

100 NFL throws isnt enough to judge accuracy and again the only time he has thrown a decent amount in a season he was at 67%.

Black Rainbow

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I can name examples where pocket QBs get hurt as well. Running QBs are not more susceptible to injury than others
I agree to disagree. And of course you can because there's historically been more pocket passers than runners. (Larger sample size.)

#1. Throw the ball away before taking a big hit.

#2. Throwing the ball down field gets the ball down field faster than running it and taking unnecessary hits. Especially, with today's rules protecting the QB. When you run, you're a running back at that point and the saftey rules don't apply. Running is a luxury, not a requirement, and passing QBs will always have the edge. If running the ball and having a shotgun arm were all it took to be a superior QB, Mike Vick would be the GOAT.

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
Until he doesn't see someone coming and gets blindsided in the open field. He's not Barry Sanders.

But let's celebrate a few 1st downs while he's out for the season or has to retire prematurely.
Better than to stand in the pocket and get killed and then he is out for the season or has to retire prematurely.

He took hits in the pocket last year with no flag thrown that are always called for guys like Brady and Rodgers. I like his scrambling ability, and those first downs preserve drives, will help put more points on the board, and gives this team a better chance at winning. I would rather do without the designated keeper runs outside of option plays, and I see your posts agreeing that the QB power is not a good risk. I dont even want to see him run for it at the goal line unless it is a scramble.

Spitta Andretti

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
There's decades of longevity at QB playing into their late 30s and early 40s. It's guys who threw from the pocket. Manning, Brady, Marino, Elway.

...then you got RGIII and Cam Newton.

Andrew Luck? Can happen either way. You single out 4 hall of fame QBs like thats the norm for QBs

PrideisBears

Jordan Sigler’s editor
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

No I was quite happy when Niners took him and predicted the trade with the Giants before the draft for Fields. I just find it weird that Bears fans are doing the same thing to Lance that others did to Fields.

If Purdy stays healthy and delivers I would expect the Niners to maybe try and move Lance after this year.

bears51/40

Liked Posts:
That really doesnt explain it though. He only had 100 throws in High School because he started playing QB late. Hence why his Div I offers were for WR and CB not QB.

He redshirted in 2018 and then had 67% comp with 28 TDs and 0 Ints in 2019 setting an NCAA record. He missed 2020 due to Covid and hasnt played much in the NFL due to injury. So not sure it is fair to blame accuracy when he was 67% his one full year at QB.

Of his 4 games in the NFL one was in a Monsoon where both he and Fields were below 50% passing. Otherwise he has 2 games less than 60% and one game where he was at 69%. That isnt really enough to go off of. It would be like judging Fields before he had a chance to develop 2nd half of last year. He played like shit the first few games of 2022. Lance hasnt had a chance to play a lot to see if he can turn the corner.
Even in a small sample size Lance still looks like he can't play the position. In shorts and no pads. he should have had a few wow throws in camp, and they are just not there yet.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Even in a small sample size Lance still looks like he can't play the position. In shorts and no pads. he should have had a few wow throws in camp, and they are just not there yet.

Maybe he does have wow throws but you aren't reading the sources that document it.

Where he is struggling is the short game which is the same area Fields struggles in.

bears51/40

Liked Posts:
Andrew Luck? Can happen either way. You single out 4 hall of fame QBs like thats the norm for QBs
And three of the four QB's he listed had season ending injuries while in the pocket, Brady ACL, Manning neck injury, and Marino torn achilles.

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I am on record that giving up on a 23 year old QB in TC before the pads are even on when he has 500 throws over 7 years is premature.
Almost like he shouldn't have been drafted that high, given the body of work coming into the NFL.

Some scouts / GMs have their heads so far up their asses and they want to "outsmart" everyone else, that they end up making poor evaluations and decisions based on raw traits.

I'm not complaining. Thank the football gods we were able to land Fields.

msadows

Liked Posts:
No I was quite happy when Niners took him and predicted the trade with the Giants before the draft for Fields. I just find it weird that Bears fans are doing the same thing to Lance that others did to Fields.

If Purdy stays healthy and delivers I would expect the Niners to maybe try and move Lance after this year.

Why would anyone want him at that point?

Niners should trade him now if they dont want to give him an honest shot to start.

They are just hurting his value....and honestly just fucking the kid over. HE didnt even get a chance to fail.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Considering I have to pay him like 13m a year none. Colts can go fuck themselves if they want a draft pick as cant expect an early round draft pick after claiming you dont want to pay Taylor because RBs are not worth it.
Oh, so you were just fantasizing and not using reality when you made that trade suggestion.

PrideisBears

Jordan Sigler’s editor
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:

I think Lance got a raw deal tbh. We don’t know anything about him because of his injury and the 9ers have mismanaged him greatly