Official 2023 Training Camp thread

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
When offensive linemen block they are taught to grasp the Chest Plate of the DL. So if they don’t have on pads it’s almost impossible to get leverage to block. That is why No one pays attention to OL/DL until the Pads Come On. The OL have nothing to grab. Every lineman loses a battle, especially without pads.

Also Braxton was the best Rookie OLT last year according to every analytical football site. Imagine having the best Rookie Tackle drafted last year in the 5th Round out of Southern Utah.

I wonder what their strength and conditioning program/weight room was like at that small 1AA (FCS) school.!?

Here's what I will tell you about those sites. That rate offensive linemen.

They don't know what they're looking at.. At certain points, they had Former bears tackles. like Charles Leno Jr and Webb highly rated.

It seems to me that all an offense lineman has to do in order to get credited for a block by those sites is stand between the defender and the quarterback.

Anyone with eyes and a brain knows there's more to it than that. Jones kept getting pushed straight back into the quarterback all last season. By comparison, Over the Hill, Dragged out of retirement, Jason Peters The year prior could only be forced back about a 1/2 step in pass pro And would reroute defenders wide...

If you're going to rely souly on grades from people who don't know what they're looking at and can't even tell the difference between Peters and Jones the prior two years, And I don't have a trust that any person who cannot do that will be able to bring anything intelligent to the discussion.

I'll give you credit though. For the pads thing, sounding plausible. That is until you realize the other offensive lineman are dealing with the same thing and aren't struggling with the same things Jones is right now and training camp....

Look.

I'm not here to crap on Braxton Jones. I don't expect perfection after one-off season, but if he can improve on his weaknesses, Internet least win his share of the battles and show significant improvement, Then I am OK with that.

But don't tell me not to be concerned when training camp starts up, I am expecting some sort of improvement from whatever off-season program he was on, and the initial reports make it sounds like he's still on roller skates.

That's a legit concern..

Mighty Joe Young

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
So how is Braxton looking in his stance? Is he sinking properly to absorb the bull rush? Or is he losing leverage because he's too upright? Please give me your keen insight...you know, based on tweets you're reading here. SMH.
I'll do you one better, dickhead.

Last year, Braxton Jones looked like he had absolutely perfect technique but lacked any sort of power or anchor.

The kids technique isn't what I'm worried about....

Mighty Joe Young

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Where do they teach OTs to put their hands after their initial punch from like HS football on up? Chest plate, keeping hands inside the shoulder pads to avoid holding call. Braxton is never going to be physically imposing against heavier DEs and in particular is going to rely super heavily on using his hands to create leverage and disruption on a power rush to redirect them higher - he’s probably never going to be able to just catch and absorb guys. I’ll be concerned if it keeps happening after pads are on, but the whole OL is getting whipped by nobodies in shorts on DL right now it’s not just Jones

What I read from the people watching made it sound like Jones was getting blown out compared to the other offensive linemen.

Dear God why are you all so defensive over a late-round tackle?

cameronkrazie86

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Atlanta Braves
  1. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Vegas Golden Knights
  1. Duke Blue Devils
  2. Nebraska Cornhuskers
That last part is the key as far as I’m concerned. It’s prevalent not just in sports news either.

People seem to value gossip and easy to digest infotainment over actual news and analysis.

I've lost interest more and more every year to the point that the only time I even watch ESPN is if there's a live game on that I want to watch. Otherwise, I have no interest at all in listening to 24/7 hot takes. I actually like Stephen A Smith and respect his work ethic above all else but it doesn't mean I want to listen to him rant about every single thing under the sun. Same thing with cable news, I hardly ever watch it. It's just boring when everything is sensationalized.

Yep. I don't get it. Even 2nd half Brax was a lot better than 1st half. 2nd year Brax figures to be even better, if only a bit better.

Plus with the way this offense will likely run, with plenty of play action, Brax is going to be doing a lot of run blocking even for passing plays, which he already excels in.

I blame the PTSD with last year's offensive line for any/all things critical of the offensive line this year. That line last year was great at run blocking and equally terrible in pass blocking. The only time you tend to hear about the offensive linemen is when they're getting beat on a play so it 'feels' like they're not progressing/developing regardless of what is actually happening in reality. I think we all want to see Fields succeed but it gives me deja vu when you hear about this tackle getting beat on a play or that tackle getting beat. You just start wondering are we going to see the same shit as last year with piss poor pass blocking? With all the cap space they have, I just wish they had competent backups so if the guys they're counting on get hurt or suck, there's a logical replacement ready to go.

HearshotKDS

Liked Posts:
What I read from the people watching made it sound like Jones was getting blown out compared to the other offensive linemen.

I don’t think people are being overly defensive just multiple people are pointing out over and over that pads are an integral part of OL play to a post that showed a clear fundamental misunderstanding so it feels like piling on - at least for me I dont check to see if someone has already answer/responded I just type my piece and send it.

And also Braxton absolutely did not show perfect technique last year, he showed elite agility for the position and strong run blocking skills but was frankly not good with his balance, poor pad level, and would often not even punch he would just catch the rusher. He needs to show active hands on every snap and not get caught with his weight too far forward or playing too upright this year otherwise nfl edges have the strength to just get under him and pick him up and set him down on top of fields.

Robert Schmitz has a good high level summary video breakdown of his technique - both the good and bad if you 15m to watch.

Last edited:

Discus fish salesman

Liked Posts:

Nobody is offended. You've had countless posts trying to teach you a basic fundamental of football, but instead of accepting it you, per usual, are flailing about trying to defend your (incorrect and poorly thought out) stance.

The Big Grabowski

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don’t think people are being overly defensive just pointing out over and over that pads are an integral part of OL play to a post that showed a clear fundamental misunderstanding.

And also Braxton absolutely did not show perfect technique last year, he showed elite agility for the position and strong run blocking skills but was frankly not good with his balance, poor pad level, and would often not even punch he would just catch the rusher. He needs to show active hands on every snap and not get caught with his weight too far forward or playing too upright this year otherwise nfl edges have the strength to just get under him and pick him up and set him down on top of fields.

Robert Schmitz has a good high level summary video breakdown of his technique - both the good and bad if you 15m to watch.
Some really good points here. Based on his CHGO interview earlier this year, it sounds like Brax has been focused on balance this off-season.

Robert Schmitz had some keen analysis of his deficiencies in hand use, and I keep circling back to that being the biggest key to his development. We just haven’t seen it.

Hopefully we see a jump overall in year 2. He seems to be displaying more fire in camp.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
For those that don’t get it:

“Pads are everything because you know it’s hard to — talking about offensive linemen — it’s really hard to block a defensive lineman with no pads,” coach Matt Eberflus said. “It just is. And it’s hard to block them in the run game, too.”

No shit! The article is actually about young edge rushers on the Bears but the above nugget was in there too.

The MSN link gets you through the Trib pay wall.

Mighty Joe Young

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I don’t think people are being overly defensive just multiple people are pointing out over and over that pads are an integral part of OL play to a post that showed a clear fundamental misunderstanding so it feels like piling on - at least for me I dont check to see if someone has already answer/responded I just type my piece and send it.

It was a smartass reply to a smartass comment.

Look - bottom line, Braxton isn't where you want your starting left tackle to be. Even if you took someone who never watched a football game in their life, and put Braxton Jones' plays next to a washed up, off the boat, Jason Peters' plays in his year with the Bears, they can tell Peters played better.

And honestly, I'm just reacting to how defensive people are being. I just laid out a concern I had, and I had a handful of people reply with the attitude of "how dare you be concerned! Don't you know its too early? Don't you know that these websites that I all mocked when they had Charles Leno Jr rated as a top offensive linemen are now saying Braxton Jones is too and now I believe them?!? What's wrong with you!?"

If that isn't being defensive, I don't know what is.

My point being - its just a concern I have. Too many times this part of the preseason, fans make excuses for their team looking bad, and then when it carries over into the season, they act shocked, like there was no way to see it coming. I just don't operate like that. I also don't double down or "have to be right" - Braxton might look better in pads, in which case, that will be a relief. But no one can tell me I shouldn't be concerned when a player doesn't seem to have improved over the offseason. That usually bodes badly for the career of a player, unless they are already playing at a significant level of competency.

HearshotKDS

Liked Posts:
It was a smartass reply to a smartass comment.

Look - bottom line, Braxton isn't where you want your starting left tackle to be. Even if you took someone who never watched a football game in their life, and put Braxton Jones' plays next to a washed up, off the boat, Jason Peters' plays in his year with the Bears, they can tell Peters played better.

And honestly, I'm just reacting to how defensive people are being. I just laid out a concern I had, and I had a handful of people reply with the attitude of "how dare you be concerned! Don't you know its too early? Don't you know that these websites that I all mocked when they had Charles Leno Jr rated as a top offensive linemen are now saying Braxton Jones is too and now I believe them?!? What's wrong with you!?"

If that isn't being defensive, I don't know what is.

My point being - its just a concern I have. Too many times this part of the preseason, fans make excuses for their team looking bad, and then when it carries over into the season, they act shocked, like there was no way to see it coming. I just don't operate like that. I also don't double down or "have to be right" - Braxton might look better in pads, in which case, that will be a relief. But no one can tell me I shouldn't be concerned when a player doesn't seem to have improved over the offseason. That usually bodes badly for the career of a player, unless they are already playing at a significant level of competency.
People arent reacting to your concern over Braxton, there was plenty on the tape last year to be concerned about and people have kind of fallen over themselves to mention that in most of the posts. It was the stupid comment about what are pads going to do, weigh him down with the smug laughing emoji that caused most of the backlash since it shows a fundamental misunderstanding of OL play. Dont take posters words for it though, Eberflus himself said as much in an article a few posts above this one.