Official 2023 Training Camp thread

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
It's still way too early for all this cunting

I mean, I think its fair to have concerns. Unlike last year, there's some legit expectations for this year to be a big step forward.

Now, the Bears couldn't possibly address every need they have, but I wonder how things are going to look when they start playing games.

For me, I worry about Braxton Jones being a second year on roller skates, despite people here singing his praises. But, while not ideal, if he is the same as last year, they can do more this year to protect him so long as the rest of the line holds up, so it's not as hopeless as last year when both tackles were bad - although it still is concerning that there is a possibility that Fields' blind side protection isn't solid yet. And that's the real reason for the concern over Jones:

It's really concern for Fields and his development. If we don't want him seeing ghosts, he has to have confidence that the blindside protection is going to be there. If its not, well, let's just say I think some of the unforced errors from Fields last year were due to that.

There's still a lot to be excited about as well for the Bears. Should be a better year.

sphinxnole

Liked Posts:
I mean, I think its fair to have concerns. Unlike last year, there's some legit expectations for this year to be a big step forward.

Now, the Bears couldn't possibly address every need they have, but I wonder how things are going to look when they start playing games.

For me, I worry about Braxton Jones being a second year on roller skates, despite people here singing his praises. But, while not ideal, if he is the same as last year, they can do more this year to protect him so long as the rest of the line holds up, so it's not as hopeless as last year when both tackles were bad - although it still is concerning that there is a possibility that Fields' blind side protection isn't solid yet. And that's the real reason for the concern over Jones:

It's really concern for Fields and his development. If we don't want him seeing ghosts, he has to have confidence that the blindside protection is going to be there. If its not, well, let's just say I think some of the unforced errors from Fields last year were due to that.

There's still a lot to be excited about as well for the Bears. Should be a better year.

When offensive linemen block they are taught to grasp the Chest Plate of the DL. So if they don’t have on pads it’s almost impossible to get leverage to block. That is why No one pays attention to OL/DL until the Pads Come On. The OL have nothing to grab. Every lineman loses a battle, especially without pads.

Also Braxton was the best Rookie OLT last year according to every analytical football site. Imagine having the best Rookie Tackle drafted last year in the 5th Round out of Southern Utah.

I wonder what their strength and conditioning program/weight room was like at that small 1AA (FCS) school.!?

Nelly

Liked Posts:
When offensive linemen block they are taught to grasp the Chest Plate of the DL. So if they don’t have on pads it’s almost impossible to get leverage to block. That is why No one pays attention to OL/DL until the Pads Come On. The OL have nothing to grab. Every lineman loses a battle, especially without pads.

Also Braxton was the best Rookie OLT last year according to every analytical football site. Imagine having the best Rookie Tackle drafted last year in the 5th Round out of Southern Utah.

I wonder what their strength and conditioning program/weight room was like at that small 1AA (FCS) school.!?
I think people need to be careful about thinking that Brax can be some all-pro. He's got the measurables to be there but a long way to go. I'll be happy if he's above average, somewhere above 16 even if that's not even top 10. For a 5th round pick, you take that all day.

Spitta Andretti

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I think people need to be careful about thinking that Brax can be some all-pro. He's got the measurables to be there but a long way to go. I'll be happy if he's above average, somewhere above 16 even if that's not even top 10. For a 5th round pick, you take that all day.

i see way more negativity than positivity when it comes to brax

people have been trying to replace him in their minds all offseason

Nelly

Liked Posts:
i see way more negativity than positivity when it comes to brax

people have been trying to replace him in their minds all offseason
Yep. I don't get it. Even 2nd half Brax was a lot better than 1st half. 2nd year Brax figures to be even better, if only a bit better.

Plus with the way this offense will likely run, with plenty of play action, Brax is going to be doing a lot of run blocking even for passing plays, which he already excels in.

sphinxnole

Liked Posts:
The funny thing to me is, Braxton did better than every other Rookie Tackle that started games last year.
If we had drafted Braxton in the 1st Round how many people would be trying to replace him already.!?

The Big Grabowski

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I mean, isn't it bad that he can't even hold up when its NOT padded and they AREN'T hitting?

What, you counting on the pads to weigh him down so he doesn't get pushed around so much? :ROFLMAO:
So how is Braxton looking in his stance? Is he sinking properly to absorb the bull rush? Or is he losing leverage because he's too upright? Please give me your keen insight...you know, based on tweets you're reading here. SMH.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I mean, isn't it bad that he can't even hold up when its NOT padded and they AREN'T hitting?

What, you counting on the pads to weigh him down so he doesn't get pushed around so much? :ROFLMAO:

No counting on more reps meaning be refines his stamina, technique, footwork, balance, pad level, hand usage, etc.

They just fucking started so all those things may be rusty and need work. This isnt magic where you start camp 100% game ready.

By contrast it is easier for a pass rusher because he is not reacting and knows where he is going. A bull rush is less about technique and more about raw strength.

HearshotKDS

Liked Posts:

Where do they teach OTs to put their hands after their initial punch from like HS football on up? Chest plate, keeping hands inside the shoulder pads to avoid holding call. Braxton is never going to be physically imposing against heavier DEs and in particular is going to rely super heavily on using his hands to create leverage and disruption on a power rush to redirect them higher - he’s probably never going to be able to just catch and absorb guys. I’ll be concerned if it keeps happening after pads are on, but the whole OL is getting whipped by nobodies in shorts on DL right now it’s not just Jones