Official CCS Grillmasters thread

jooo83

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. DePaul Blue Demons
So far so good. I read a lot of people saying that the WSM 22 runs really hot the first 5-6 times you use it, until it builds up some residue inside the chamber. But last night I was able to get it to 250 and hold it all night with minimal effort, and probably could have gone down to 225 if I wanted to. Overall impressed so far. I think once I get the hang of it, it will pretty much be "set it and forget it".

Also, I've always wanted to get a BGE, but I can't get myself to drop that much money on one (big one + accessories). They do seem pretty great though!

Very cool. Happy to hear the new smoker is working out so far. I alway wanted to try a Traeger pellet smoker.

Prior to purchasing a BGE, it definitely took me a long time to pull the trigger. But based on how often I use it and when I consider all the dumb stuff I waste money on, I consider it more than worth the price ha.

RacerX

Silicon Valley CA Bears H
Liked Posts:
This weekend I am pulling my 15-lb. New York roast out of the dry-age fridge in my local butcher shop, been aging it for 28 days now (I also have a 23 lb. porterhouse rack in that same fridge which is on day 16).

Still unsure who I will invite over for this goodness which I will pair with pinot for the ladies (kosta browne) and a bordeaux for the boys.

Always remember the great French saying: "Champagne for duchesses, bordeaux (or claret) for gentlemen, Burgundy for KINGS".

Editorial note: I concur, Burgundy (both white and red) are the GOAT wines.

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
This weekend I am pulling my 15-lb. New York roast out of the dry-age fridge in my local butcher shop, been aging it for 28 days now (I also have a 23 lb. porterhouse rack in that same fridge which is on day 16).

Still unsure who I will invite over for this goodness which I will pair with pinot for the ladies (kosta browne) and a bordeaux for the boys.

Always remember the great French saying: "Champagne for duchesses, bordeaux (or claret) for gentlemen, Burgundy for KINGS".

Next time I'm up that way, can I please come over?

You are of course invited to my simple abode to enjoy smoked foods and IPAs the next time you find yourself in central FL. You can tell me tales about dinner parties with James Hetfield, and I'll entertain you with stories like about the time when I strutted into a New Smyrna Beach Dennys wrapped in a bed sheet with a small piss stain on the front at 3am because I decided to go swimming in the ocean, had no dry clothes, didn't shake enough and was really, really hungry. And the sheet was the only thing in my truck.

On second thought, you should probably never invite me over.

RacerX

Silicon Valley CA Bears H
Liked Posts:
Next time I'm up that way, can I please come over?

You are of course invited to my simple abode to enjoy smoked foods and IPAs the next time you find yourself in central FL. You can tell me tales about dinner parties with James Hetfield, and I'll entertain you with stories like about the time when I strutted into a New Smyrna Beach Dennys wrapped in a bed sheet with a small piss stain on the front at 3am because I decided to go swimming in the ocean, had no dry clothes, didn't shake enough and was really, really hungry. And the sheet was the only thing in my truck.

On second thought, you should probably never invite me over.

Need to hear more about that adventure....you are near the top of my list to meet for a cocktail or 3, and I will let you know when I'm next in the Orlando area which is at least once annually but not this holiday season.

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:

That sounds amazing! What is your preparation going to be on the NY roast? Dry aging is so intriguing to me, honestly because it is simple yet exacting, without room for error.

Also, I think you should pair it with a couple of post dinner Sour Diesel blunts. Dessert will be amazing! Just my opinion on that one though.

I did a prime tomahawk ribeye last weekend. Smoked it on the Traeger to 115 and then hit it on the preheated grill for 5 minutes a side. Pre rubbed with a touch of olive oil, salt, pepper, and some green chile rub. It came out delicious. The wife and I split it as it was 2 pounds, and if I had to do it again I would go a few more degrees on the smoker, 120 max. However, we eat blue rare steak around these parts so it went over well. She sauteed some bellas and we had a nice little mixed green side salad and that was more than enough for dinner.

I've mentioned this green chile rub a few times and I feel like I should share a link to the guys site. This is a local guy that we randomly met at a farmers market about 5 years ago, but this is hands down my favorite rub for steaks, burgers, pork chops, and chicken. So I want to share, ftr I have zero financial incentive, but good shit should be shared.

He has 20% off through the end of the month and below is the specific link to the rub that I absolutely love.

Last edited:

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
That sounds amazing! What is your preparation going to be on the NY roast? Dry aging is so intriguing to me, honestly because it is simple yet exacting, without room for error.

Also, I think you should pair it with a couple of post dinner Sour Diesel blunts. Dessert will be amazing! Just my opinion on that one though.

I did a prime tomahawk ribeye last weekend. Smoked it on the Traeger to 115 and then hit it on the preheated grill for 5 minutes a side. Pre rubbed with a touch of olive oil, salt, pepper, and some green chile rub. It came out delicious. The wife and I split it as it was 2 pounds, and if I had to do it again I would go a few more degrees on the smoker, 120 max. However, we eat blue rare steak around these parts so it went over well. She sauteed some bellas and we had a nice little mixed green side salad and that was more than enough for dinner.

I've mentioned this green chile rub a few times and I feel like I should share a link to the guys site. This is a local guy that we randomly met at a farmers market about 5 years ago, but this is hands down my favorite rub for steaks, burgers, pork chops, and chicken. So I want to share, ftr I have zero financial incentive, but good shit should be shared.

He has 20% off through the end of the month and below is the specific link to the rub that I absolutely love.

I will have to order some of that. Always looking for different stuff to try, and this sounds really good. Thanks!

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I think we need a ccs meet up where Nvan cooks us everything.

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
PSA: Lowe's has 2-packs of 18.6lb Kingsford Blue Bag charcoal on sale right now for under $13. They usually do this sale several times a year -Memorial Day, 4th of July, Labor Day and sometimes Thanksgiving. I usually take advantage and stock up because I go through a lot of charcoal. Snagged 10 bags, and will probably get some more before it ends.