Official CCS Grillmasters thread

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Going over to my buddy's house for his annual 4th of July party. He's smoking / cooking a bunch of shit, but I volunteered to bring some sides. So I'm gonna smoke two pans of mac and cheese.

I've never done it before, but I'm sure it will turn out good. Hunting around the internet and looking at different recipes, and there seems to be some consistent themes - make a roux, add some liquid like milk, add some mixed shredded cheeses (cheddar, colby, gouda, etc) add something to make it more creamy (e.g. cream cheese, sour cream, etc), seasoning, something to give it some texture on the crust (panko, bacon, etc), and smoke at like 300-350 for about an hour.

I'm trying to figure out my recipe and was wondering if any of you had pro-tips...

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I told myself I would not buy a new grill this season after looking for a few weeks, but I like that.
I have straight up abused mine. Left it out in the rain, let water sit in it for way too long, etc. Thing still looks practically brand new after I wipe it down and clean it up. Pretty impressive considering how bad the conditions can be in FL, my general neglect, and that I've had the thing for like 7 years. Would 100% recommend. Weber makes a great product.

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I have straight up abused mine. Left it out in the rain, let water sit in it for way too long, etc. Thing still looks practically brand new after I wipe it down and clean it up. Pretty impressive considering how bad the conditions can be in FL, my general neglect, and that I've had the thing for like 7 years. Would 100% recommend. Weber makes a great product.
I have a Weber now. I've look at other grills, but I don't think I'd ever pull the trigger on anything but a Weber

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I have a Weber now. I've look at other grills, but I don't think I'd ever pull the trigger on anything but a Weber
I just got a Weber Smokey Mountain (as mentioned earlier in this thread), and I am in love so far.

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:
Twenty pounds of pork butt on the smoker tonight. Will make a bunch of pulled pork tomorrow. The funny thing is that its not for a party or anything like that. I happened to get a really good deal on a double pack of pork butts a while ago ($.89 per pound) and I just wanted to get them smoked and out of the freezer, because they had been in there a few months. This will be a give away mission because there is a zero percent chance that the wife and I will be able to consume it all.

Friends and family will be the beneficiaries of at least 3/4 of it.

Random question for people that smoke meats here. Pork butt, fat cap up or down? I am a fat cap down person and the wife is a fat cap up person. We are doing one each way with the smoke tonight. I honestly do not think that it matters but I prefer the fat cap down as sort of a base to let the meat rest on.

Also, the more smoking I do I am finding the simpler rubs seem to be the best. Trying to get too fancy seems to muddle the end results. I am not a total newbie anymore and I am noticing the nuance of less is more.

Did a brisket a few days ago and it came out pretty damn delicious with a simple rub. Still having some brisket sandwiches etc. a few days later. My wife's god son came to stay with us for a few days so we wanted to make sure he ate well as he is in that teenage "hollow leg" portion of life, I miss those days. I still had to give some away to a friend though as it was too much for us to consume in a few days.

Happy smoking gents.

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I always go fat cap down FWIW.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I always go fat cap down FWIW.

I always go up... I want the fat to melt and stick around when I shred it.

Mixes into the meat... adds moisture and mixes with the rub, very tasty.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
4th of July I smoked a pair of pork butts for the family:

Raw:

2iNBmNU.jpg
CmvSjNe.jpg
JI3JB8h.jpg

Rubbed:
h89S8u4.jpg
vGq25kd.jpg

9Q5bBwV.jpg
y14CjFh.jpg

Cooked:
1lhp2lR.jpg
xX1rS5Y.jpg
4uVIYXL.jpg

udvKP19.jpg
YPA3wJs.jpg
bUerfIV.jpg
gpcl611.jpg

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I always go up... I want the fat to melt and stick around when I shred it.

Mixes into the meat... adds moisture and mixes with the rub, very tasty.
I'll try it that way, also pro trim job.

Those look great.

Edit - my logic for cap down was more bark on the non fat parts, but that might not actually come out that way. Never split tested it.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I'll try it that way, also pro trim job.

Those look great.

Edit - my logic for cap down was more bark on the non fat parts, but that might not actually come out that way. Never split tested it.

FTR the butcher trims em up, that's how I got them... I can't take credit.

All I do is run a knife along the fat cap in diagonal cuts to give the rub another place to stick in.

The heat/smoke, at least in my smoker, is coming in below the butts.... and I wedged a baking sheet underneath to act as a deflector so the smoke/heat should rise from roughly the middle/bottom of the chamber.

As such I find the bottom/sides always caramelize into bark just fine... never really notice any part of the outside of mine not getting bark.

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:
Ok so a couple things. Fat side up takes longer like legit three or four hours longer. I think the whole fat melting over it is a thing, but it does also keep you in the stall longer. Also, fat side down while not in a pan will melt through the grate!

Came out delicious!

7060.jpeg7056.jpeg7059.jpeg

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
20190709_190257.jpg

20190709_185910.jpg

20190709_192704.jpg

20190709_193058.jpg

I had a little dinner date with the wife last night (kiddos are out of town for the week on their Pap's farm)

Decided to make 30 minute ribs.

As you can see, they turn out just as good as those 6 hour ribs people smoke for 6 hours, but these are smoked in just a halve hour.

Accompanying the 30 minute ribs are 1 hour mixed greens: Kale, Collards, Mustards. Those are chunks of pork belly I cured for a week and smoked for a hour.

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
20190709_190257.jpg

20190709_185910.jpg

20190709_192704.jpg

20190709_193058.jpg

I had a little dinner date with the wife last night (kiddos are out of town for the week on their Pap's farm)

Decided to make 30 minute ribs.

As you can see, they turn out just as good as those 6 hour ribs people smoke for 6 hours, but these are smoked in just a halve hour.

Accompanying the 30 minute ribs are 1 hour mixed greens: Kale, Collards, Mustards. Those are chunks of pork belly I cured for a week and smoked for a hour.

@brett05 I see that you have "disliked" this post ^

do you care to explain?