***Official*** Chicago Bears Training Camp Thread!!! (Preamble to the Domination!) (FTO)

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
This sounds like just the kind of thing you'd say if you're not certain about your offensive line.
Other than the center competition I don’t know what they wouldn’t be certain about

Aquineas

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Other than the center competition I don’t know what they wouldn’t be certain about
Man you don't rotate offensive linemen in when you know you've got five good ones. Every coach in NFL history wants a line that has the 5 guys who know each other and are used to practicing and playing together for continuity.

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Man you don't rotate offensive linemen in when you know you've got five good ones. Every coach in NFL history wants a line that has the 5 guys who know each other and are used to practicing and playing together for continuity.
First of all half that quote was about Dline where you absolutely DO rotate guys all the time.

Second, I stand by what I said. Other than center what would they be uncertain about?

There’s no LT taking Jone’s job. Teven is a lock at LG. Center in up for grabs. The RG got PAID so unless he’s not healthy they’re starting him. And the RT was a top 10 pick. There is no uncertainty except for center and backups.

But yes I’m sure later on they will want to settle on a 5 a d pray they all stay healthy.

Aquineas

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
First of all half that quote was about Dline where you absolutely DO rotate guys all the time.

Second, I stand by what I said. Other than center what would they be uncertain about?

There’s no LT taking Jone’s job. Teven is a lock at LG. Center in up for grabs. The RG got PAID so unless he’s not healthy they’re starting him. And the RT was a top 10 pick. There is no uncertainty except for center and backups.

But yes I’m sure later on they will want to settle on a 5 a d pray they all stay healthy.
With one exception, I don't know that we're disagreeing. You're wondering who they might switch out, and my point is, it's not even a discussion if your guys are set. Every offensive line coach would prefer to not be subbing dudes in and out, and that's from day 1 of minicamp if possible.

You mention the center position. When you have questions at center, you have questions at guard, because many people rightly or wrongly see those positions being interchangeable. IIRC, didn't the o-line coach explicitly mention the right guard position as a competition? That's not being settled.

I might also disagree with you on B. Jones. Wasn't he injured during last training-camp too? And didn't the Bears go on to lose their first four games? And didn't he come in as a rookie and start? I absolutely think if one of the rookies outplayed him his position would be at risk.

Discus fish salesman

Liked Posts:

Let me preface this with I assume nate Davis will start at rg.

But he's only being paid $10 mill/yr. Top guys get $20 mill/yr now. Also, if he isn't playing well, this will be his last year with the team. So if he's got a mid contract and can be moved on from after the year, there is 0 reason to keep running him out there if he struggles

Discus fish salesman

Liked Posts:
With one exception, I don't know that we're disagreeing. You're wondering who they might switch out, and my point is, it's not even a discussion if your guys are set. Every offensive line coach would prefer to not be subbing dudes in and out, and that's from day 1 of minicamp if possible.

You mention the center position. When you have questions at center, you have questions at guard, because many people rightly or wrongly see those positions being interchangeable. IIRC, didn't the o-line coach explicitly mention the right guard position as a competition? That's not being settled.

I might also disagree with you on B. Jones. Wasn't he injured during last training-camp too? And didn't the Bears go on to lose their first four games? And didn't he come in as a rookie and start? I absolutely think if one of the rookies outplayed him his position would be at risk.
Braxton was not injured during TC last year and they don't have a rookie to replace him since amegadje isn't practicing and likely won't be any time soon.

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:

The only rookie they have is on the PUP.

Well they got some Canada UDFA. I ain’t counting on that

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Let me preface this with I assume nate Davis will start at rg.

But he's only being paid $10 mill/yr. Top guys get $20 mill/yr now. Also, if he isn't playing well, this will be his last year with the team. So if he's got a mid contract and can be moved on from after the year, there is 0 reason to keep running him out there if he struggles

Oh I agree about next year. There’s little dead cap with him if he’s cut.

Aquineas

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Braxton was not injured during TC last year and they don't have a rookie to replace him since amegadje isn't practicing and likely won't be any time soon.
Okay then, well that's even worse news, because he looked terrible early last season, and I thought it was because he was injured. It turns out he just didn't play well.

And as for rookies, I wasn't referring to Amegadgje; I'm just saying some folks are acting like this line is locked down and that LT is a stud and the position is unassailable. I don't think any of that is true.

Discus fish salesman

Liked Posts:
Cody whitehair was making more than nate Davis last year and whitehair rode the bench when everyone was healthy. Just to illustrate that contract isn't that meaningful