***Official*** Chicago Bears Training Camp Thread!!! (Preamble to the Domination!) (FTO)

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
Camp Battles
- Ozone/Scott.
Ozone will probably start, being a 9th pick overall. But I suppose Scott could play so well in TC/preseason as to start. He brings the speed element to stretch the field. That might be important to Waldron's offense.

The "starting" thing is sometimes a bit honorary. If Scott continues to stand out, or even Velus, I expect plenty of player changes play-to-play, hopefully depending on the defenders.

- Velus/Carter Starting KR/PR between Velus and Carter will be interesting. Velus is listed on the unofficial depth chart for PR, so I guess they're giving him another shot. If he can do PR, it saves a roster spot. But I expect they'd keep Carter for a while, even if Velus wins PR. Carter might be a SP Gunner.

- Booker/Robinson - I hope Booker is good enough to beat Robinson for pass plays. Our season kind of depends on Booker being good. He's doing well in camp. Would be nice if Robinson makes leap in his 3rd year. We need depth too.

- Davis/Bates, Shelton/Bates - see below

Starting 5 OL?
Of course, I've been harping on securing a replacement for Nate Davis a long time. Unfortunately, the Davis situation is as bad as I feared. Hopefully Bates is as good as Poles valued him when he traded for him. Everyone hopes Davis bounces back. But for OL cohesion, might as well stick with Bates at this point.

At the moment, Davis is out with injury, so Shelton is C by default. Shelton is 20lbs lighter than Bates and avg. I suspect Bates would've started at C if Davis was good to go. It screws Bates' Center reps if Davis eventually starts. They want to give Davis every opportunity to bounce back, especially with what they paid him.

Jones/Jenkins/Shelton/Bates/Wright
Scott is not competing with Odunze. He’ll be solidly in place as the 4th receiver.

The hope is Scott can prove worthy if any of the top 3 go down. He’s having a nice camp and I love watching guys develop, but he’s not pushing Rome.

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
Scott is not competing with Odunze. He’ll be solidly in place as the 4th receiver.

The hope is Scott can prove worthy if any of the top 3 go down. He’s having a nice camp and I love watching guys develop, but he’s not pushing Rome.
Yeah, what's it look like for WR positions? I'm not looking at any camp stuff.

I'd assume Scott would be slot, depending. Do they have Ozone lined up outside, split end or flanker? Who they lining up at slot? Allen or Moore?

msadows

Liked Posts:

I'd assume Scott would be slot, depending. Do they have Ozone lined up outside, split end or flanker? Who they lining up at slot? Allen or Moore?
KA is one of the best slot WR's in the NFL.

He's going to fit in there, odunze and moore are the outside guys. Scott I'm guessing will spell odunze/moore and mostly just stretch the field on the outside.

You'd assume those slot snaps will go to all 3 of the starters, Kmet, and everett.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs

Odunze is learning all 3 spots. He’s not your typical rookie.

I’ve never seen Scott in the slot and he primarily runs 9 routes. Hopefully, he has more of the route tree down in year 2.

pseudonym

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
It's going to be DJM, Allen, and Odunze as often as they can trot those three out there. Plus Kmet at TE, and Swift at RB. That's the base. Scott will be next man up as the WR4 but I honestly expect MOST of the targets this year to go to those three. Like...A LOT. Velus will return K/P and get a target or gadget play once in a while. Every depth chart I've seen has it this way, Allen as slot.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange

Allen is and has been a slot WR.

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins

msadows

Liked Posts:
It's going to be DJM, Allen, and Odunze as often as they can trot those three out there. Plus Kmet at TE, and Swift at RB. That's the base. Scott will be next man up as the WR4 but I honestly expect MOST of the targets this year to go to those three. Like...A LOT. Velus will return K/P and get a target or gadget play once in a while. Every depth chart I've seen has it this way, Allen as slot.

People keep forgetting Mt. Everett. Dude got a ton of work on the chargers. Bears have a better TE2 than some teams TE1.

HearshotKDS

Liked Posts:
Odunze is learning all 3 spots. He’s not your typical rookie.

I’ve never seen Scott in the slot and he primarily runs 9 routes. Hopefully, he has more of the route tree down in year 2.
Yep nailed it. Scott only lined up in the slot 21% of snaps which is right smack dab where you see guys like DJ Moore, AJ Brown, Davante Adams, Amari Cooper - AKA wideouts not slot guys. One thing that did impress me with Scott though is I thought he generally had good releases off the line - often sub 190 lb. speedsters have to play out of the slot because they cant handle NFL corners getting physical at the line but Scott didnt have that issue. It was everything after the release that needed work.

HearshotKDS

Liked Posts:
I think we're going to see a lot of Scott or Velus running clear out routes to save tread on (mostly) KA and DJ. You dont need to waste those 2 sprinting 30 yards downfield just to target the Dagger underneath them. Odunzes only 22 though so they're probably happy to let him run until hes foaming at the mouth.

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
No body will cover Vagina Jones, he can’t catch a cold lol
I think we're going to see a lot of Scott or Velus running clear out routes to save tread on (mostly) KA and DJ. You dont need to waste those 2 sprinting 30 yards downfield just to target the Dagger underneath them. Odunzes only 22 though so they're probably happy to let him run until hes foaming at the mouth.