*OFFICIAL* Offseason Rumors, Signings, and Shenanigans

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Meh, this is where I do agree about they need to be willing to spend. It's always a bit crazy to me anyway how much more the HC and players get over key assistant coaches - that is true of both college and pro. I know in recent years that trend has changed a little bit, but...
Only thing I would say is if he wants drastically more than your offensive and defensive coordinators, that could cause a problem among the coaching staff

But if it's just a little more expensive then yeah I think that's a problem.

Canth

Liked Posts:

Wow, that is a bit nuts that there are only 4 active HC's from the 27 guys hired between 2015-2018. Two retired, and now I believe two have been hired as a HC again from that list (McDaniels and Pederson).

But still, essentially only 4 out of 27 making it past their initial HC contract with a team.

Rise

Liked Posts:
Only thing I would say is if he wants drastically more than your offensive and defensive coordinators, that could cause a problem among the coaching staff

But if it's just a little more expensive then yeah I think that's a problem.

But it wouldn’t be a problem on the Packers staff?

Canth

Liked Posts:
Lmao DBB tweeted a thought, not a rumor, and this guy writes an article about it. Pathetic.

And apparently did not* read the comments to realize that the guy has already signed and is not actually available...

Last edited:

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
Lol. McGaughey already agreed to stay with the Giants. And who cares about “breaking the bank”?? It doesn’t go against the cap. I think the mccaskeys can afford one coach with prior HC experience… huge loss if Bisaccia ends up with the packers
Agreed but it makes sense that GB would spend big for a ST coach. It’s the reason that they are sitting at home rn.

Rise

Liked Posts:
Agreed but it makes sense that GB would spend big for a ST coach. It’s the reason that they are sitting at home rn.

He isn’t just some ST coach he was damn near head coach of the year. Probably should have been.

WookieOnRitalin

Liked Posts:
Wow, that is a bit nuts that there are only 4 active HC's from the 27 guys hired between 2015-2018. Two retired, and now I believe two have been hired as a HC again from that list (McDaniels and Pederson).

But still, essentially only 4 out of 27 making it past their initial HC contract with a team.

Again the main point being that landing a QB is more important then landing a coach or that a coach's future ultimately lies in the hands of the quarterback.

Of that list, on Shanahan and Vrabel have managed to bypass that fate with average QBs and good D. But even they have faced increase pressure. Shanahan was on the chopping block earlier this year when the Niners were struggling.

McVay has now been to two Superbowls with two different QBs. That says something about the depth and talent on that roster. Very impressive.

Without a next level QB, I doubt Tomlin keeps his job in Pittsburgh.

Current list of longest tenured coaches in NFL:
-Tomlin (Ben)
-Carroll (Wilson)
-Belichick (Brady)
-Reid (Smith/Mahomes)
-Payton (Brees) --> Resigns after one year without Brees
-Harbaugh (Jackson saved his job)

Without production at QB almost no coach sticks around long term because it's hard to win the NFL without one.

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
He isn’t just some ST coach he was damn near head coach of the year. Probably should have been.
What’s your point? He made gonna be hired for ST. And GB seriously needs help at ST given the playoff collapse they had. That’s why there gonna pay for it.

I get that he could help Flus with HC type duties and that could be great, but I’m not sure that’s the route they wanna go.

Rise

Liked Posts:
What’s your point? He made gonna be hired for ST. And GB seriously needs help at ST given the playoff collapse they had. That’s why there gonna pay for it.

I get that he could help Flus with HC type duties and that could be great, but I’m not sure that’s the route they wanna go.

That’s my point he is more than just a ST coach. I’d rather have him helping our staff than the Packers.

Rise

Liked Posts:

It is crazy I think I read somewhere that HC have like a 6% success rate to last more than 5 years lol. I’m not sure the timeframe of that data but this seems close.

Canth

Liked Posts:
Nagy did bring ALL his friends, oh, maybe he didn't have any.

The whole deal where Nagy didn't bring anyone from KC with him reminds me about the comment he made either during his intro press conference or just after that he was going to have to teach the offense to all his coaches so that they could then teach it to the players. Obviously, that didn't go well. But it does highlight a rather big difference as least on the defensive side of the ball where Eberflus will not have to teach his coaches what he wants done.

Now, for the offensive side of the ball, that makes me very curious how they build the scheme, terminology, and all that. What common experiences to the offensive coaches have to get on the same page quickly so that they can be unified when they start teaching it to the players?

Rise

Liked Posts:
The whole deal where Nagy didn't bring anyone from KC with him reminds me about the comment he made either during his intro press conference or just after that he was going to have to teach the offense to all his coaches so that they could then teach it to the players. Obviously, that didn't go well. But it does highlight a rather big difference as least on the defensive side of the ball where Eberflus will not have to teach his coaches what he wants done.

Now, for the offensive side of the ball, that makes me very curious how they build the scheme, terminology, and all that. What common experiences to the offensive coaches have to get on the same page quickly so that they can be unified when they start teaching it to the players?

Colts basically wanted to let their new DC build a staff so they could get the their top choice. I think you will see the Bears take a similar approach with OC over the years if Eberflus sticks. This would become one of the premier OC jobs to basically groom to be a HC. Similar to Buffalo (if Fields is good).

Only problem to this is teams are becoming so desperate for the next McVey they are even hiring guys who have never called plays.