*OFFICIAL* Offseason Rumors, Signings, and Shenanigans

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Now fuck off, asshole
Says the guy that tried to compare a 9 year college and NFL coaching veteran to a guy with no coaching experience above High School.

Illinois did not lie to Lovie. Lovie lied to Illinois and everybody else, seeing the he stated that Illinois was his last job (his words, not mine) and then he continued with other jobs.

Yes they did. By your own logic they signed him to a long term deal but then fired him before that deal was finished. So they lied about the commitment they were making to him.

Of course on planet earth, rational human beings realize that they reassessed the situation and decided to move on just as Lovie reassessed whether he would stay out of coaching when he was fired prior to the completion of his original contract.

You obviously have an issue with Lovie and so you are judging him for changing his mind as a result of Illinois changing their mind and firing him early.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
If I did not know otherwise, based on the whining and race talk about Josh McCown I would think Houston hired him instead of Lovie Smith. People are bitching about something that didn't happen.

Not quite. I think the discussion was centered around the belief that they were going to hire McCown but then backed out because of the Flores lawsuit and then scrambled to sign Lovie to cover up the fact they had intended to hire a white dude with zero coaching experience above high school. This seems obvious because Lovie himself admitted he was not always a candidate for the job and he does not know when he became a candidate.

PrideisBears

Jordan Sigler’s editor
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
@JoJoBoxer i don’t understand why you were get upset lol. Tbh you were kind of white knighting for Mccown and how the Texans operated their search.

PrideisBears

Jordan Sigler’s editor
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Not quite. I think the discussion was centered around the belief that they were going to hire McCown but then backed out because of the Flores lawsuit and then scrambled to sign Lovie to cover up the fact they had intended to hire a white dude with zero coaching experience above high school. This seems obvious because Lovie himself admitted he was not always a candidate for the job and he does not know when he became a candidate.
Imo I believe Goodell got involved. Even with the lawsuit looming the Texans looked like they were going to sign Mccown come hell or high water

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Imo I believe Goodell got involved. Even with the lawsuit looming the Texans looked like they were going to sign Mccown come hell or high water

If you track the timeline, McCown, Gannon and Flores received 2nd interviews in that order with Flores coming the day before his lawsuit on Jan 31. McCown was already rumored to be the favorite at this point. Then the lawsuit drops on Feb 1. Early on Feb 6, it is reported that Gannon was told he would not get the job and that Flores and McCown are the two finalists. McCown reported as the favorite still on that same day. People react on twitter.

Between the fan and media reaction and Goodall probably saying WTF, it is suddenly announced later that day that McCown is no longer in the running and that Lovie has emerged as a candidate and is interviewing literally Sunday night. Now let's pause for a second. Who interviews a candidate that has been in the building the whole time Sunday night and suddenly he is hired the next day?

Also they had concluded all their interviews by Jan 31 so why was there a delay in announcing the hire. It seems pretty obvious they were thrown for a loop with the Flores lawsuit the day after interviews had concluded took a week to try and figure out what to do, floated the idea of McCown being hired and then when fans, the media and probably Goodall shit all over that idea interviewed Lovie late Sunday night and hired him the following Monday.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Lovie Quote

Seeing that he went back to the NFL, HE LIED!
When he said "this is my last job" it was his way of saying "I plan to succeed and be here a long time".

As opposed to being Jim Harbaugh and telling recruits "I am looking to go to the NFL".

TL1961

Liked Posts:
So 1 more than McCown. He also had a few coaching jobs in college which are a few more than McCown who has zero.

So almost like his resume is vastly superior to McCown so anyone trying to use him to justify McCown is delusional.
I understand Madden technically did have some college coaching experience, but I can't help laughing at the thought of what you'd say if McCown's experience included three seasons at "Allen Hancock College". :ROFLMAO:

bearsfan1977

Liked Posts:
It’s the Texans. Who cares? But guys, I mean really, has anyone considered the possibility that Flores wasn’t hired because teams thought he was a prick and didn’t seem to be all there in the head? Wasn’t that the talk about him before this whole lawsuit thing?

On a more important note, big props to Dejo for keeping the football news and info coming on this thread.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I understand Madden technically did have some college coaching experience, but I can't help laughing at the thought of what you'd say if McCown's experience included three seasons at "Allen Hancock College". :ROFLMAO:

If you exclude that he still has 3 years as a DC at San Diego State under the legendary Don Coryell and a year in the NFL as a LB coach. He was 27-4 at SDSU and they won a Div II champion in 1966 going undefeated. That is certainly better than coaching at Rusk High under who the fuck knows.

Having said that, the fact someone is trying to go back to the 1960s to justify McCown is pathetic. What was acceptable back in the 1960s is not necessarily acceptable today. The fact remains there is not a single coach in the modern NFL I can think of that has ever jumped from HS coach to NFL HC so it is categorically and unequivocally stupid to try and defend what the Texans were trying to do.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
It’s the Texans. Who cares? But guys, I mean really, has anyone considered the possibility that Flores wasn’t hired because teams thought he was a prick and didn’t seem to be all there in the head? Wasn’t that the talk about him before this whole lawsuit thing?

On a more important note, big props to Dejo for keeping the football news and info coming on this thread.
Sane people thought that. Most of ccs does not…